CFL, CFLPA Cancel Off Season Mini Camps

Rich

17 hours ago, wbbfan said:

because no contact once a day for 3 days is a player safety thing...

There are lots of non-contact injuries that occur in practices at any time of the year with mini-camp being no exception.

Not saying I agree or not - I was just pointing out what the article said.

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

No they aren't. Mini-camp is in April while rookie camp is just before main TC.

Apparently you are right, I don't want to turn this into "he said/she said" so I'll let you win this one, but be warned, my wife can tell you all about "no-win contests" of which I am the reigning champion.

The players have said they don't want intersquad games such as The Blue Gold games we have had in preseason back in the days of yore

I see them as especially helpful in giving new players more time to show their wares ... why don't the players want them? Probably because they don't get paid for the dress rehearsal ... so why not put the proceeds towards CFLPA pension or something similar and get this low cost evaluation  tool going? (I think the season ticket holders/fans would be willing to pay for a reduced rate ticket to the event.) Make the intrasquad game a negotiation item next year.... I bet the fans would not mind paying if they knew the money was going to player pensions.

Edited by BigBlue

3 hours ago, Jacquie said:

There are lots of non-contact injuries that occur in practices at any time of the year with mini-camp being no exception.

Not saying I agree or not - I was just pointing out what the article said.

imo, if you are hurt in none contact practice either it was a total fluke that could happen at any time to any one or you came in out of shape.

9 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I think it's pretty universally accepted that Saskatchewan has the most expensive staff, if only cause there's more coaches than players there. 

I was referring strictly to head coach and GM but you're probably right. Interesting, with all those bodies, they still have the fewest teeth. 

3 hours ago, BigBlue said:

The players have said they don't want intersquad games such as The Blue Gold games we have had in preseason back in the days of yore

I see them as especially helpful in giving new players more time to show their wares ... why don't the players want them? Probably because they don't get paid for the dress rehearsal ... so why not put the proceeds towards CFLPA pension or something similar and get this low cost evaluation  tool going? (I think the season ticket holders/fans would be willing to pay for a reduced rate ticket to the event.) Make the intrasquad game a negotiation item next year.... I bet the fans would not mind paying if they knew the money was going to player pensions.

The Stamps had one inter squad game this season.  More of a controlled scrimmage. It's part of training camp. It's done every year. The Stamps didn't play that first exhibition week. They then played 2 games in 5 days. I have not heard one story about the players not wanting to play these games. Link?

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Stamps had one inter squad game this season.  More of a controlled scrimmage. It's part of training camp. It's done every year. The Stamps didn't play that first exhibition week. They then played 2 games in 5 days. I have not heard one story about the players not wanting to play these games. Link?

The short turn around games are what they should be attacking. pre season and in general. you shouldnt be playing football games twice in one week. not at any age or any level. 

we have a lot of serious health concerns in football. more and more parents are keeping their kids away from early years football or football in general. I wish they would crack down and focus on the real issues rather then tip toeing around none issues, modest issues at best and time wasters. 

6 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

The short turn around games are what they should be attacking. pre season and in general. you shouldnt be playing football games twice in one week. not at any age or any level. 

we have a lot of serious health concerns in football. more and more parents are keeping their kids away from early years football or football in general. I wish they would crack down and focus on the real issues rather then tip toeing around none issues, modest issues at best and time wasters. 

Man, do you have that right! With 9 teams, theses scheduling conflicts exist.  Take the Stamps-Esks LD rematch. For years, they used to play LD Monday & then the following  Friday. Now they play the following Saturday. They should be playing the  following Sunday but TSN won't let them. TSN shouldn't dictate the schedule  when it relates to player safety but they unfortunately do. 

8 hours ago, Engelwood said:

Remember the CFLPA is all about protecting it's vets as they are the ones who run it. This gives the vets one step up over the rookies as there is less exposure.

this move smells more like a move to try and get more entry level guys into Tcs. More payments into the PA, especially by guys who wont cash any thing out. 

19 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Man, do you have that right! With 9 teams, theses scheduling conflicts exist.  Take the Stamps-Esks LD rematch. For years, they used to play LD Monday & then the following  Friday. Now they play the following Saturday. They should be playing the  following Sunday but TSN won't let them. TSN shouldn't dictate the schedule  when it relates to player safety but they unfortunately do. 

I feel like LD and rematch weeks should be the same games days and times. I would think its tsn too. The scheduling cant be that tight for most stadiums. But I mean what is the cfl up against right now? golf?

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

this move smells more like a move to try and get more entry level guys into Tcs. More payments into the PA, especially by guys who wont cash any thing out. 

I feel like LD and rematch weeks should be the same games days and times. I would think its tsn too. The scheduling cant be that tight for most stadiums. But I mean what is the cfl up against right now? golf?

The NFL starts the Thursday after LD so they'd be competing against the NFL but so be it.

16 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The NFL starts the Thursday after LD so they'd be competing against the NFL but so be it.

i dont think the nfl is a real competitor. we are too niche. I dont know any one who goes, oh i was gonna watch some cfl but nfl is one so im gonna watch that instead. Maybe im just detached from the average sports viewer out there. But I think people who watch cfl do so and will short of being up against most stuff. 

Another thought... This was a another chance to hype the CFL and engage with fans during the offseason. Another opportunity missed. I'm a diehard and I certainly miss the coverage but for many casual fans, out-of-sight-out-of-mind. 

5 hours ago, wbbfan said:

i dont think the nfl is a real competitor. we are too niche. I dont know any one who goes, oh i was gonna watch some cfl but nfl is one so im gonna watch that instead. Maybe im just detached from the average sports viewer out there. But I think people who watch cfl do so and will short of being up against most stuff. 

I do know some people like that. They think the NFL is superior so they watch the NFL. I think there are many more down east with that mindset rather than in Winnipeg. Aswell as on the Lower Mainland as they are much closer to NFL cities than we are here in Calgary or in Winnipeg. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Another thought... This was a another chance to hype the CFL and engage with fans during the offseason. Another opportunity missed. I'm a diehard and I certainly miss the coverage but for many casual fans, out-of-sight-out-of-mind. 

I agree. I thought the Bombers having their mini camp in Winnipeg was brilliant. Instead of Bradenton, FLA at the IMG facilities. Other CFLteams didn't do that so as you say JCon, it was an opportunity lost.  Sometimes, I wonder about the close mindedness of the CFLPA.  Like I said before, it's run by a bunch of entitled overpaid Canadian offensive linemen who do nothing but to protect what is already theirs at the expense of players at other positions.