Weston Dressler - Is he stil relevant?

B-F-F-C

Maybe it's that Streveler hasn't developed a rapport with him yet but I feel that Dressler is the forgotten man in the offence.  Sure they try the odd end around with him but nothing downfield.  Every time I see  him in the huddle I think "who let O'Shea's 10 yr old kid on the field".  

Yes, I know he's a proven vet and his knowledge of the game and the position is unmatched.  But I wonder if he's still an integral piece of the receiving corps?  Guys like Wolitarski, Demski and Adams are now being utilized alot more and of course there's Bowman who is our possession receiver.  

Is it time to move on and use Dressler as the 5th receiver?     

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Turned a 7 yard pass into a 15 yard play all through skill and savvy.  Still very useful and great that we aren’t completely relying on him because he probably won’t play 18.

exactly. In this amount of usage we can rely on him to last longer. the guy isnt a spring chicken but like steph logan some how still has the quicks to beat guys. Dont question it just enjoy it as long as it lasts. At this rate we might be able to get another couple years out of dressler. 

A savvy vet like Dressler will always have value as long as his physical chops are still there. His relationship with Lapo/Nichols means that there are any number of packages built around him that we have yet to see so far.

On a related note, I'm already super happy to have seen them fake the jet sweep on more than one occasion this year. 

Edited by Pete Catan's Ghost

Take one weapon off and you make it easier for the D to cover the O. Hello Chris Jones.

All receivers and running backs were on the stat sheet last night. Starters and backups. They are all relevant on this offense.

Stupid thread actually... and we all bit.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

He adds experience and depth, and as a vet, knows how to get open in zone defense.

Having him doesn't hurt when you have a young QB, but in my opinion there are better options for the money they are paying him, so I could see him being traded.

Also his durability is questionable at this stage, although I noticed that he was playing smart against Montreal in getting down before taking big hits when he was not going to make much more yardage. If he plays smart like that, he could stay healthy and be a contributor until Nichols returns.

They need to get Bowman involved more. After only 2 games I don't think he has seen enough balls.

31 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Take one weapon off and you make it easier for the D to cover the O. Hello Chris Jones.

All receivers and running backs were on the stat sheet last night. Starters and backups. They are all relevant on this offense.

This isn’t needed.

It’s a good discussion point if for no other reason than it draws attention to the fact we DO have a lot of depth on this team and the young guys are showing themselves very capable of pushing the established, veteran receivers.

Would I move on from Dressler? No. There’s value in his leadership, he’s still an effective, efficient receiver and, as others have noted, he’d be snapped up pretty quickly. He’s still a weapon and one team’s must account for while on the field.

1 hour ago, M.O.A.B. said:

Bit!!!!!  Way to keep it classy.  You've been around here long enough to know that I've never tried to troll anyone and this was definitely not my first attempt at doing so.  

And no I never said that Dressler should be cut.  But there comes a time in a veterans career where he might have to assume a lesser role in order to give more playing time to the younger guys who will be the next generation receivers.  

I'd like to see more simonise and I love how Wolitarsky fights for the ball.  Plus Demsky deserves more touches.       

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

To answer your own question, ask, how many other teams would instantly pick up Dressler if he was available? That's how relevant he is.

Sure...I'm sure there are a few teams with less depth and talent that we have would pick him up in an instant.  But again never said he should be cut.   

We have the third most receiving yards in the league, the most receiving touchdowns, and the most rushing yards, yet not one top ten receiver. That is a GOOD THING. It means that every part of our offence is getting involved. Last night every single eligible receiver on our offence caught a ball, one receiver even threw one. We look to be incredibly well balanced, that is a good thing. Most teams in the league have one or two receivers that if they go down, the whole offence suffers. We do not. 

Edited by O2L

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

exactly. In this amount of usage we can rely on him to last longer. the guy isnt a spring chicken but like steph logan some how still has the quicks to beat guys. Dont question it just enjoy it as long as it lasts. At this rate we might be able to get another couple years out of dressler. 

Memo to LaPo: Don't use Dressler anymore on fly sweeps. 

The other comment about wanting to see Simonise over Dressler. Why?? The kid's a rook.  You lose with too many rookies all starting together at the same time. Let him develop playing sparely on O when they can get him in as well as on ST's. In the meantime, Dressler is quietly having a great season. Just enjoy that.