A Long Term Team

O2L

Please don’t rip me apart for starting a new topic, I really wasn’t sure where this post belongs as I feel it’s more about our patience and our future (even though it’s onviously a lot about tonight’s game). I don’t post often, but right now I can’t hold back, I just keep looking at our team from top to bottom and haven’t felt this good in an eternity. The jury is still out on if Hall is going to prove us all wrong, but that’s about the only bad thing I can say right now. 

Hoping not to get too many hyperbole GIFs in response here, let’s all just be happy haha.

///

We’ve never developed our own QB like Calgary, BC, and Toronto...

We have no QB depth...

Our scouting department can’t find any talent...

Our Canadian depth is atrocious...

We sign big names for too much money and they end up as busts...

No one wants to play here...

We can’t tackle...

^ things that we’ve said for years, that are actual things of the past

Guys like Nevis, Medlock, Okopogo, Fenner, Gaitor, Bighill, Harris coming here and looking as good or better than they ever have. Bowman smiling on the sideline when he’s mostly catching short passes and guys named Wolitsrsky and Demski are getting the TDs, ready to be a team player and happy to be surrounded by good people. Number 1 embracing number 82 in the end zone after his second TD catch, and walking him in on his first one. Santos Knox being a compete beast.

Listen, one game doesn’t make a season. For years and years, I’ve just wanted one Grey Cup, just one. Now, for the first time in my 33 years as a Bomber fan, I’m not even thinking Grey Cup, I’m thinking “wow, we will be competitive for years to come”. “Wow, we have depth, young guys being groomed to be starters in a couple years, vets who are happy to share the limelight.” I know people rag on Calgary for two Grey Cup losses in a row, but who here wouldn’t have traded places with them the last decade? I’m not being a homer here. We have a rookie QB who just made history. The panel and the commentators were glowing talking about THE BOMBERS - when has that ever happened? Everyone is buying in. I want to win a Cup, but knowing that the Bombers won’t be the joke of the league anymore is an amazing feeling. 

And this team is humble! They take on the personality of their coach, a coach who many were calling to be fired not that long ago. We went through some growing pains but it finally feels good to be a Bomber fan. Again, I’m not saying we’re going to dominate every team, or that we’re even a contender yet, I’m just saying that we have backups at most positions that would be starting on several teams in the league. And if the Strev is the real deal (and I very much believe he is, as do Burris, Dunnigan, and Milty), he could be on our team for the next two decades, because he’s TWENTY THREE. 

Muamba and Westerman had three penalties, our entire team had six. Not long ago we felt spurned by them and now I wouldn’t have it any other way with the personnel on this team. We always say the refs hate us, but even they were kind tonight, or maybe it just shows how disciplined this team is  

Oh, and not sure if it’s been mentioned, but tonight not one, not two, but THREE Winnipeg natives scored TDs. Has there been a team in history that had three hometown players score TDs in a game?

Ok, feel free to rain on my parade or bring me back down to earth. I lurk and lurk but tonight nothing is going to take this smile off my face. I don’t care if it’s the lowly Als, 46 point wins don’t happen by accident, and we all know we could’ve put up another 20 points if it was necessary. 

Next week is another game and another challenge, but right now, it feels good to be a Bomber fan.

NUUUUUUBRADDDYYYYYYY!!!!!

Edited by O2L
Text was two different sizes.

7 hours ago, O2L said:

Please don’t rip me apart for starting a new topic, I really wasn’t sure where this post belongs as I feel it’s more about our patience and our future (even though it’s onviously a lot about tonight’s game). I don’t post often, but right now I can’t hold back, I just keep looking at our team from top to bottom and haven’t felt this good in an eternity. The jury is still out on if Hall is going to prove us all wrong, but that’s about the only bad thing I can say right now. 

Hoping not to get too many hyperbole GIFs in response here, let’s all just be happy haha.

///

We’ve never developed our own QB like Calgary, BC, and Toronto...

We have no QB depth...

Our scouting department can’t find any talent...

Our Canadian depth is atrocious...

We sign big names for too much money and they end up as busts...

No one wants to play here...

We can’t tackle...

^ things that we’ve said for years, that are actual things of the past

Guys like Nevis, Medlock, Okopogo, Fenner, Gaitor, Bighill, Harris coming here and looking as good or better than they ever have. Bowman smiling on the sideline when he’s mostly catching short passes and guys named Wolitsrsky and Demski are getting the TDs, ready to be a team player and happy to be surrounded by good people. Number 1 embracing number 82 in the end zone after his second TD catch, and walking him in on his first one. Santos Knox being a compete beast.

Listen, one game doesn’t make a season. For years and years, I’ve just wanted one Grey Cup, just one. Now, for the first time in my 33 years as a Bomber fan, I’m not even thinking Grey Cup, I’m thinking “wow, we will be competitive for years to come”. “Wow, we have depth, young guys being groomed to be starters in a couple years, vets who are happy to share the limelight.” I know people rag on Calgary for two Grey Cup losses in a row, but who here wouldn’t have traded places with them the last decade? I’m not being a homer here. We have a rookie QB who just made history. The panel and the commentators were glowing talking about THE BOMBERS - when has that ever happened? Everyone is buying in. I want to win a Cup, but knowing that the Bombers won’t be the joke of the league anymore is an amazing feeling. 

And this team is humble! They take on the personality of their coach, a coach who many were calling to be fired not that long ago. We went through some growing pains but it finally feels good to be a Bomber fan. Again, I’m not saying we’re going to dominate every team, or that we’re even a contender yet, I’m just saying that we have backups at most positions that would be starting on several teams in the league. And if the Strev is the real deal (and I very much believe he is, as do Burris, Dunnigan, and Milty), he could be on our team for the next two decades, because he’s TWENTY THREE. 

Muamba and Westerman had three penalties, our entire team had six. Not long ago we felt spurned by them and now I wouldn’t have it any other way with the personnel on this team. We always say the refs hate us, but even they were kind tonight, or maybe it just shows how disciplined this team is  

Oh, and not sure if it’s been mentioned, but tonight not one, not two, but THREE Winnipeg natives scored TDs. Has there been a team in history that had three hometown players score TDs in a game?

Ok, feel free to rain on my parade or bring me back down to earth. I lurk and lurk but tonight nothing is going to take this smile off my face. I don’t care if it’s the lowly Als, 46 point wins don’t happen by accident, and we all know we could’ve put up another 20 points if it was necessary. 

Next week is another game and another challenge, but right now, it feels good to be a Bomber fan.

NUUUUUUBRADDDYYYYYYY!!!!!

Not going to rain on your parade, and all the points you make are valid.

That said, there is still much room for improvement on the Bomber defense. That is the area I think still needs some work and if there are improvements made there you may have the makings of a team that can be in the hunt for multiple years like the Bombers of the 80's.

The Montreal game did not test the defense very much, but I think the upcoming Hamilton game will be a good measure of whether further improvement is warranted.

38 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is why you don't fire coaches and gms every 2 years. Give a group a chance to actually build something. Where are all the people who wanted to fire everyone a couple years aho5now? Would love to hear from them.

So Sherman and Reed are safe then :D 

32 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

This is why you don't fire coaches and gms every 2 years. Give a group a chance to actually build something. Where are all the people who wanted to fire everyone a couple years aho5now? Would love to hear from them.

To be fair....a lot of the coaches and GM's that took the pipe.....should of.  

That said, everything starts from establishing a process and a culture.   I have harped on this point, over the years....almost forever.

We hired a GM who really understands the Canadian game, the ratio and the draft.  We brought in a head coach, that players want to play for, and will also come here to do it. 

In effect, a "new Bomber way" is being built - with players who will ball hard, and do things the right way.

When you have those elements in place - then you can really build something.

1 hour ago, TheSource said:

That said, there is still much room for improvement on the Bomber defense. That is the area I think still needs some work and if there are improvements made there you may have the makings of a team that can be in the hunt for multiple years like the Bombers of the 80's.

The Montreal game did not test the defense very much, but I think the upcoming Hamilton game will be a good measure of whether further improvement is warranted.

Remember when you said Willy would throw for 500 yards? 

2 hours ago, TheSource said:

I think the talent on defence is top notch. The jury is still out on whether or not Hall knows how to use it. 

3 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Just curious but would you give Reed & Sherman another season if they go 1-17 & 4,000 people show up for games? There has to be some kind of hope for fans as well. Firings do that.  Sometimes they are justified when incompetence is clearly showing as it was here in 2013. 

8 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

Starts at the top with Wade and flows down.

Totally. I've heard from a couple of different people that work for/with the Bombers in different capacities and they've all said there's this sort of fear of Wade. Maybe fear isn't the right word but you definitely wanna get your job done and done properly.

Edited by ediger

19 hours ago, TheSource said:

Yes you are raining on the parade !@#$%^

Call me crazy but I truly believe we are just as or a ball hair behind Calgary and Edmonton for a western power house. Calgary does not seem like they're all that far ahead, maybe with the exception of a bonifide qb. Our Canadian depth is the best we've had in a very long time, kicking game is as strong as ever, receiving core is amongst the very best, defence is strong(minus halls play calls), running backs are deep.
I really think this could be our year, haven't felt this confident about a Bomber team like this since maybe the 2001 14-4 team.

Edited by Nolby

We have depth at every position now, with the big surprise being at QB.

QB: When Nichols comes back he will be leading a team with Streveler and Bennett behind him.  Streveler has shown he could be the next big name in the CFL and Bennett was not too bad as well in garbage time.
RB: Harris, Flanders, LaFrance, Augustine.. If Harris goes down we still have Flanders who has proven to be a pretty decent back.
WR: We went from having Darvin Adams and Weston Dressler as solid contributers to having 5 guys that can contribute and 2 backup Canadians in Simonise and Peterman that can contribute if someone goes down.  This was an enormous change this offseason.  L'Damian Washington and Chris Givens who???
O-Line: Without Travis bond we are still rolling and we have guys like Couture and Spooner waiting in the wings.

Huge improvement at receiver.  Surprising huge improvement at QB.

As for the defense...

D-Line: 2 games where we've been consistently getting at the QB.  If Mike Reilly wasn't made of magic, they would have been feasting.  Craig Roh is our inactive player in this group. That is saying something.
LB: Big improvement with Bighill and Fenner.  Santos Knox is making a name for himself and Ian Wild is there as a big contributer as well.
DB: Maybe the weakest part of the team.  I'm still not fully convinced we have completely solved our issues here.  Didn't get challenged in Montreal, got beat on 50/50 balls against Edmonton.  That said...they may not have to be world beaters if we are controlling the line of scrimmage and the middle of field.

Huge improvement at LB, including depth.  Overall talent on the D-Line has gone way up.  We're rotating in some really good players.  DBs just need to keep things in front of them and this unit will be solid.

I'm pretty excited about this team.  It's not just hope.  The depth is obvious.  And it will serve us well late in the season.