Riders- Blacks Thursday

BigBlue

The only game in  Pick'ems I wasn't sure about was this one

Ottawa might be the better team on paper but they've been sitting around for a while and they have no momentum. Regina keeps surprising me; their defence is better than I expected and their offensive line seems to be hanging together okay.

Further the Prider's have that Chris Jones audacity and chutzpah may give them an edge against an untested Ottawa. I think Regina will win but it won't be pretty. Carter on defence is going to be fun to watch just because there's a battle of egos going on.

I think Harris is a better quarterback but Collaros played a lot better than I would've guessed in last week's game. I think he can get the job done just because Jones is putting confidence in him .... I think Collaros is back but I can't say the same thing about Drew Willey

I'm looking forward to a good battle with both teams having a chance to win

If each team sticks to its game plan, pound it out on the ground, and open the passing lanes in the air, we could have a real barn burner providing full entertainment value. It might come down to turnovers as Ottawa may have to shake off some rust and a refreshed Collaros may not be in game shape yet and will need to make great second effort. 

Field position will be important in this one, particularly if tied with no time left on the clock and the kicker needs to split the uprights for the win. 

This is Ottawa’s house. A graveyard for visiting teams when losing. The home squads home cookin. I’m saying Red Blacks. 

Edited by Rod Black

Don't get their mindset on roster configuration, or is it just a fact of the matter that they have zero depth all along the roster and is a result of Jones's poor SMS management and poor recruiting.

Technically they don't even have 5 true starting DB's on that roster, and no back-up to cover the starters...The o-line depth is sad too and the back-up Bladek isn't ready for prime time. The d-line as well...sure they have 2 good ends...and a multitude of back-ups but at tackle are so weak...Evans is a good starter but not a world beater by any means and Steele and Henry would be good back-ups...not what you would want as starters if you could help it..and behind them they have zip...a couple injuries in game along the lines thee, or in db backfield and they are in a world of hurt...they may jump out of the gate fine, but come mid season and injuries crop up and they face a heavy West schedule I see their season going downward quickly

Wonder if they're lining him up at field or boundary? Field corner is a place where teams used to try to hide below-grade nationals.  Is he gonna be lining up opposite Dionte Spencer or  JFG?

Anyway, if Carter is a liability, Ottawa has the talent to expose him. Spencer, Sinopoli, Ellingson, Harris -- the blacks have a pretty good passing attack going there.

Riders at Ottawa

With a win this week the Riders can start 2-0 for the 1st time in 5 years (5-0 in 2013). They went 0-2 in '15, '16 & '17.
- Open Door for OTT: The REDBLACKS are the only undefeated East Division team as all three rivals lost to the West in Wk #1.
- Rider 'D': Saskatchewan led Wk #1 with the fewest yards allowed (265) and held Toronto to 5 points over the first 3 Quarters.
- REDBLACKS Openers: They are 2-1-1 in their 4 season openers; this was their first Wk #1 Bye since their inaugural year.
- Rider 'O': Saskatchewan generated just one offensive TD last week and 7 Two-&-Outs vs Toronto.
- Short passing game: Zach Collaros threw deeper than 20 yards downfield only twice in their game vs Toronto (1/2 for 34 yds). - Field position: SSK did not start a single drive in Toronto's end last week (avg. at only their own 32) and had one RZ chance.
- Trevor Harris: Has started against Saskatchewan 5 previous times (3-2) but just once last year. He has one 300+ game vs SSK.

CFL Notes:
- Challenges: There were only two in Week #1 and neither was successful (Per game - 2016: 2.2, 2017: 1.6, 2018: 0.5)
- Missing "big play" kick returns: 2017: 87 in 81 games; 2018 Week #1: 2 (both by Winnipeg)
- Scoring: Was just 45.8 points per game, down from an overall average of 53.1 in 2017 and 52.9 per game in 2016.
- TD Drive %: In 2017 that stat averaged 17%, the highest since 2008. In Week #1 the TD drive % dropped back to 13%.
- Penalties: Dropped to just 17.8 per game (incl. declined), down for the 4th straight season since a recent high of 23.5 in 2015. - QB Sacks: Averaged 4.8 per game in Week 31, the highest rate since 2015 (5.7 per game).
- Home teams: Won 3 of the 4 games - much better than their 41-39-1 .512 mark in 2017.
- Mike Reilly: Threw for 408 yards, the 5th time he has gone 400+ in his career. He engineered his 20th career Q4 winning drive.

Bo Levi Mitchell: Won as a starter for the 57th time raising his CFL-best mark to 57-10-2 .841; he threw deep 13 times.
- Charleston Hughes: Led the CFL with 3 Sacks moving up to #11 all-time becoming the 11th man to reach 100+ for his career. - Derel Walker: Nearly did what only one player has ever done - go over 200 receiving yards in Wk #1 (Brian Kelly 205, 1983)
- Montreal: Lost 22-10 at BC and have now dropped a club record 12 consecutive games.
- Calgary Red Zone: Though they got in to the Red Zone a CFL-high 6 times, they cashed just one for a TD vs Hamilton.
- Zach Collaros: Won as a starter for the first time since Sept 2016. Had lost 12 in a row (one short of record 13 by L.Amedee).
- S.J. Green: Was the CFL's most targeted receiver with 12 last week but caught only 5 for 51 yards.
- Mike Jones: Went for 120 yards on only 5 catches - an average of 24.0 yards and caught of 2-of-3 deep throws (20+ yards).
- FG Kickers: Made 18 of 20 attempts in Week #1 (90%); the all-time record is 84.0% set in 2017. Kickers made all 13 C-1 kicks. - Sean Whyte: Made a field goal from 52 yards, the only kick attempted from beyond the 46-yard line all week.
- Ty Long: Led all punters with a 54.4 yard average and a net of 40.9 yards per kick.
- Nakas Onyeka: Led all Special Teams tacklers with four - two more than any other player.
- Passing dominance: Passing accounted for 74% of all yards gained in Week #1.
- 2-&-Outs: Week #1 dropped off a little from 2017 when clubs had a combined 8.7 per game. Last week that number was 10.5.

 QB Pressures: The statistic for QB Pressures instituted last year has been suspended for review by the CFL. This is primarily due to its subjectivity and real difficulty in being consistent from play to play. Our coaches have expressed that for it to be helpful it needs to be applied in the same way for each pass drop back but that remains a real challenge for our stats crews.

8 hours ago, Mark F said:

and 6 d ends.

weve been rolling 7 wil/macs with 2 ni safteys as our back up dbs. Jones is much better then brou. 

If I was jones and i believed in carter that much, I would use him in a package. He'd play mid field / deep in a robber scheme and let him read + re act to the flight of the ball. Taking him off as a wr and starting him as a db with out a cover guy to back up is nuts. 

spliff! 

been a while since I heard that word.

looking forward to trying some legal mary jane! 

and.......Down goes Collaros!

looks like the mbb guys that said sask O line is not good, were right.

edit

and D line. "gaping hole"

edit

and secondary.

my recommendation: run  at Hurl.

Edited by Mark F