Game Day Thread - League Opener: Eskies

BigBlue

22 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

I like how we were pretty aggressive with Streveler however with a minute twenty on the clock after a poor kickoff return there's no excuse for not keeping the ball on the ground and keeping the clock running. That 2 and 0 killed us there.  You run on first and run a draw play on second. If you make a big play then you go more aggressive. You don't leave Edmonton the maximum amount of clock there.

LaPo did not call a great game. It was like he forgot that Nichols was out & Streveler was in... 

9 hours ago, Noeller said:

I just wanted to pop on here quickly and let you know there IS help for that. You really don't have to live this way. I've spent the last couple months in a deep dive into mental illness, depression and anxiety. There's meds and there's therapy....and it WORKS....trust me. You don't have to live that way....

Carry on...

Be well

14 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Looks like the Bombers are looking for another QB.  Alex Ross will not be able to dress for the MTL game due to injury sustained on the botched FG.

So let the speculation begin 😟

Streveler all game......and wins.....Bennett backs him up.  That's all I know unless Masoli is available lol 

Edited by NorthernSkunk
Oops

10 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Why wasn't Dressler out there holding? Dressler did that the last 2 seasons. 

My guess is that they like a QB doing it for the fake potential.  But Dressler was back holding after Ross got injured.

29 minutes ago, B-F-F-C said:

Looks like the Bombers are looking for another QB.  Alex Ross will not be able to dress for the MTL game due to injury sustained on the botched FG.

I'd have a look at Bryant Moniz.

12 hours ago, B-F-F-C said:

What the heck happened to Ross? A bruised ego?

22 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

LaPo did not call a great game. It was like he forgot that Nichols was out & Streveler was in... 

Any time a college qb starts game one and throws 3 touchdowns you have to give the offensive coordinator a lot of the credit.  I just didn’t like the play calling on that final drive.  Streveler needed to act like a real quarback and throw the ball downfield or else Edmonton would have kept loading the box like they did early in the game.

Streveler did OK against the Esks, who were without half of their DB's, but lets not pretend that he was great. He threw 3 TD's, 2 INT's, was 15/28 for a 53.6% completion average and only managed 178 yards, 37 of them on one pass into a blown coverage. Pretty darn good for a rookie QB in his first game, but not a world beater. I'd suggest that he'll have a tougher night against Montreal because of their DC and the fact they aren't starting 3 rookie DB's.

JFTR: Reilly threw for 408 (101 on one play), 1 TD, 1 INT and was 32/46 for a 69.6% completion avg, in the same conditions.

You know what I put that first INT on the receiver not Streveler. The receiver had his hands on it and let the linebacker take it away from him. Gotta be stronger than that and either catch it or at least don't let the linebacker take it away. 

To me Streveler was better than the numbers might indicate when taking everything into consideration. 

I think he'll have it easier against the Als. He'll have more chances and he won't wait nearly as long. 

RE: First INT. I hate that (I forget who) had two arms around the ball but on the ground, after the whistle, the Esks pulled it away. I hate that rule that whoever gets up with it, gets it. I hate it. 

It was Wolitarsky and Sherritt involved in the first INT. I actually to think Sherritt took it away while they were going down, but man you can not let the linebacker come in and just take the ball from you. Gotta hold onto that for your life. 

59 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

I think Sherritt made a hell of a play on that ball, basically using one arm, down low, to direct the ball back to himself. 

Somehimes, the defender should get credit for making a play. This was one of those times.

Oh sure, great play by him, never questioned that, but you can still make a better play than that. 

I'm not trying to start a witch hunt here or anything, Wolitarsky had a good game too. Just pointing out that the first INT wasn't that big a deal for the qb. 

1 hour ago, TBURGESS said:

Streveler did OK against the Esks, who were without half of their DB's, but lets not pretend that he was great. He threw 3 TD's, 2 INT's, was 15/28 for a 53.6% completion average and only managed 178 yards, 37 of them on one pass into a blown coverage. Pretty darn good for a rookie QB in his first game, but not a world beater. I'd suggest that he'll have a tougher night against Montreal because of their DC and the fact they aren't starting 3 rookie DB's.

JFTR: Reilly threw for 408 (101 on one play), 1 TD, 1 INT and was 32/46 for a 69.6% completion avg, in the same conditions.

I must have missed it, but who was claiming that he was a world beater?  Most of the posts I saw said he did pretty well considering that he's a 23 year old rookie.  So with that being the case, I'm not sure why you're comparing his stats to Reilly's.  I'd hope that at this point, Reilly's numbers would be better.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Jennings had a good day running the ball against Montreal.  I'd like to see Streveler do the same.

I think that Streveler has to be careful in picking his times to sprint. Nichols has been pretty durable, but he hurt himself on a pretty innocuous play, and if Streveler goes down, we're really boned.

2 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

How many games has Reilly played compared to Streveler? Your bar of success for Streveler is way too high & unfair. Do you really think Reilly would have thrown for 408 yards as a rookie in his very first game? Not trying to be too negative towards your comments. Just pointing out it was grizzled veteran vs raw rookie. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27