Game Day Thread - League Opener: Eskies

BigBlue

Some thoughts...Firstly no sense to jump to judgement of doom and gloom due to loss as well as there wouldn't have been a reverse jump to judgment if we won...you have to give it a game or two, and ones where you don't stop and go with delays 2 times.

Reilly will do what he did again to other teams as he has before to us and others..thats why he is League MVP.

The defense wasn't that bad...on the first long TD Randle had great coverage and actually got toe tangled when he went to make a play on ball and fell..you couldn't ask for better coverage and it was a great all around play...as well as the 2 point convert...Gaitor had great position and was a phenominal play and one 9 times out of 10 that receiver wouldn't have made...luck sometimes goes against you.

The defense will be good and when settled in...not an issue..Biggie although he Hurl'd it on one play made several plays that last years MLB could never dream of..and Reilly was his slimy greasy self and several of his escapes would have been sacks against anyone else.

Streveler played good all things considered...first game...new to CFL..conditions and delays and put us in a spot to win...he will get better so future there is looking good. He's smart and guaranteed he will not make same mistakes again...and really the pick Sherritt got was a horshoe up the butt play too...not so much a QB error...Wolitowski too if more sesoned would have came back for the ball a bit more to attack it as opposed to let it come to him.

Also I am not one of them "what if" type of guys but if Nichols was in there we win handily...he rips apart that secondary and the defense is off the field probably at least 5 mins less...if not more, as we would have controlled the game more and kept Reilly off the field...not to mention if Medlock didn't eff up that one FG the game is most likely tied or we possibly win...lots of positives and negatives to take out of the game.

Lets reserve judgement until after the next 2 games where I would be shocked we aren't sitting at 2-1

1 hour ago, ddanger said:

A few quick thoughts.....

Streveler started (predictably) a little shaky, but settled down and played pretty well for a 23 year old rookie making his first start. Like many others have said I think we needed to let him use his feet and run the ball. He should get better, and I think the offence will get better as a result.

Mike Reilly was at his vintage self last night, should've been sacked several times and escaped to throw completions. How many times have we seen him do this to us and many other teams! 

I thought our secondary played just like last year, and when the game was on the line they got torched....again. We've changed the players, and we still get the same result. What else can it be but the system?? And therefore the coach. I'm willing to wait one more week before I jump on the fire Hall band wagon.

Does anybody else think that we may have lost Ross to a hamstring injury?? As a twitter doctor, that's my diagnosis.

Have not changed the players in the secodary. The only one new is gaitor and he came from a BC secondary that was almost as bad as the Bomber secondary.

This does not lie at halls feet, this is entirely on walters, the scouting staff, and OShea and Walters for doing a really bad job evaluating talent and personnel.

15 minutes ago, Booch said:

Some thoughts...Firstly no sense to jump to judgement of doom and gloom due to loss as well as there wouldn't have been a reverse jump to judgment if we won...you have to give it a game or two, and ones where you don't stop and go with delays 2 times.

Reilly will do what he did again to other teams as he has before to us and others..thats why he is League MVP.

The defense wasn't that bad...on the first long TD Randle had great coverage and actually got toe tangled when he went to make a play on ball and fell..you couldn't ask for better coverage and it was a great all around play...as well as the 2 point convert...Gaitor had great position and was a phenominal play and one 9 times out of 10 that receiver wouldn't have made...luck sometimes goes against you.

The defense will be good and when settled in...not an issue..Biggie although he Hurl'd it on one play made several plays that last years MLB could never dream of..and Reilly was his slimy greasy self and several of his escapes would have been sacks against anyone else.

Streveler played good all things considered...first game...new to CFL..conditions and delays and put us in a spot to win...he will get better so future there is looking good. He's smart and guaranteed he will not make same mistakes again...and really the pick Sherritt got was a horshoe up the butt play too...not so much a QB error...Wolitowski too if more sesoned would have came back for the ball a bit more to attack it as opposed to let it come to him.

Also I am not one of them "what if" type of guys but if Nichols was in there we win handily...he rips apart that secondary and the defense is off the field probably at least 5 mins less...if not more, as we would have controlled the game more and kept Reilly off the field...not to mention if Medlock didn't eff up that one FG the game is most likely tied or we possibly win...lots of positives and negatives to take out of the game.

Lets reserve judgement until after the next 2 games where I would be shocked we aren't sitting at 2-1

Agree 100%. Reilly is gonna Reilly. Any other QB out there is taking a few more sacks. 

At least guys weren't running free against our secondary, the DBs just need to make some plays. Edmonton receivers were making some tough catches over our guys. 

Steveler showed he can keep us in games and give us a chance until Nichols is back. When was the last time we had a back up QB (not counting Nichols taking over for Willy) throw 3 TDs? 

Yeah when have we may have landed a good one in Strev's

Agreed too..there were not any real instances of receievers just roaming free and wide open, and the bigger plays we got beat on were just good plays..and if it were to play again we make the play...I don't think this showing is anything to be panicked about..but if Montreal and Hamilton eat us up on defense..then we have issues...too much talent here to not be successful.

I think too...you add Leggett to the mix...we just became even better and have another vet who knows the inside and out stuff of a CFL defensive backfired and what and when to do things.

I will say tho that the coaches need to get off the Lankford love train. What he offers on returns we can get elsewhere on roster...or PR and have a player who could contribute moe than just returns...and that brutal fumble too...he hangs on we most likey get points...keep Reilly off the field from scoring and win that game warts and all

One thing I'd like to mention...That Bighill stuff at the goal line onn  Reilly where he went over the top...can you ever see Hurl doing that???...hahaa

16 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah when have we may have landed a good one in Strev's

Agreed too..there were not any real instances of receievers just roaming free and wide open, and the bigger plays we got beat on were just good plays..and if it were to play again we make the play...I don't think this showing is anything to be panicked about..but if Montreal and Hamilton eat us up on defense..then we have issues...too much talent here to not be successful.

I think too...you add Leggett to the mix...we just became even better and have another vet who knows the inside and out stuff of a CFL defensive backfired and what and when to do things.

I will say tho that the coaches need to get off the Lankford love train. What he offers on returns we can get elsewhere on roster...or PR and have a player who could contribute moe than just returns...and that brutal fumble too...he hangs on we most likey get points...keep Reilly off the field from scoring and win that game warts and all

One thing I'd like to mention...That Bighill stuff at the goal line onn  Reilly where he went over the top...can you ever see Hurl doing that???...hahaa

That was a beautiful play.  The way that he managed to hang on to Reilly while basically upside down was incredibly impressive.

I hope June Jones was watching the game.

He’ll have seen vintage Reilly in that game, and that kind of performance is pretty well standard for him. The kind of performance I doubt we’ll see consistently from his “best we’ll ever see” QB.

That game last night was a highly entertaining football game. It would have been even better without the delays.

Many on here are pointing fingers, but only a few are pointing them at the reason Edmonton won that game - Mke Reilly. How he escaped that relentless pressure, more than a few times is ‘palm to the head’ d’oh worthy. And he made plays. Also, his receivers made some outstanding catches for him. 

It was not an easy game to watch the team lose, but really, going in, how many expected us to gunsling with one of the best.

We still lost, but we gained ever so much in that game.

2 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

Unfortunately watching the replay on tv you could see their was legit contact. it was the right call

Yea he gave him a good shove during the play that knocked him over.

3 hours ago, Stickem said:

Have to agree on those last two pass attempts.....we should have run the ball and to the sidelines to stop the clock....IF you're going to throw have plays in place where it goes to the sidelines to stop the clock...That was poor play calling on Lapo's part and if we had at least advanced the ball for a couple of first downs, Edm. doesn't get to kick that game winner...Lot's of shoring up to do before we can get to the CUP game....Get on it O'Shea.

They didn’t need to stop the clock.  Clock stops after every play inside 3 minute warning until the 20 second clock starts.  Would have been more advantageous to keep the clock moving as much as possible and either kick to win with no time left or get to OT and take your chances.

Edmonton has some real good receivers but that Williams pushes off all the time and it's not even subtle, and the Edmonton tackles were hitching a ride all game long, Bombers will be fine in the short run without Nichols but our defense can't continue to give up so many passing yards all game long and be on the field as much as they were.