Depth Charts June 14th Bombers vs Eskimos

Jpan85

Just now, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

I think so, they did fine with 7 last year, 3 in the middle 4 outside.  I can see both Fogg and Lankford on the field for kickoffs.

Fogg returns kickoffs? Id imagine Augustine or Demski would be back there. 

CFL Game Notes..

The 2018 season opener between Edmonton and Winnipeg will be the earliest regular season game in league history by one day - the previous record was a game on June 15, 2004 between Saskatchewan and Toronto (21-10 Argos).

 Season #61: The founding leagues of the CFL were formed in 1907 in the East (as the IRFU), and in the West in 1936 (as the WIFU). These two formerly independent leagues formally united in 1958 to form the Canadian Football League and standardize playing rules across the country. The 2018 CFL year will mark the 105th season of Canadian football, and the 61st as the CFL itself.

QBs straight from college to a Week #1 starting role: The Blue Bombers may start rookie Chris Streveler in the 2018 CFL opener and if so that will end a 24-year period without that unique event happening.

 East vs West - 2016-17: In 2017, East Division clubs won only 10 of their 40 meetings against Western rivals (29-10 for the West with one tie). That made it such that an East Division team captured the Grey Cup for the second straight year despite this wide imbalance in regular season inter-divisional play (28-11-1 for the West in 2016). The East has won the overall season series vs the West just once since 2005, but won the Grey Cup in 5 of those 13 years.

CFL Season Openers: Going back to 2008 across 10 CFL seasons, here is a look at how our clubs have fared in their Game #1 with four teams tied at six wins out of 10. Calgary has gone 6-3-1 since 2008 but has not won a season opener since 2015. Montreal is 6-4 but have a two-year win streak (2016-17), the only club with more than one in a row. Saskatchewan is also 6-4 but have lost their last three season openers, the longest active opener losing streak in the CFL.

Toronto comes in at 6-4 since 2008 while Hamilton has been by far the slowest starter at just 1-9 in season openers winning only in 2016. BC has started slowly having won only in 2016 over the last five years (3-7 since 2008). Winnipeg and Edmonton are each at 5-5 since 2008 but the Bombers are 3-1 over the last four years.

Going back to 1958 and the formation of the CFL, the AWAY club has won MORE times than home clubs leading 32 wins to 27 with one tie (54% of the time).

 Opening Rosters to Start 2018: Of the 493 players that appeared on the initial Week #1 CFL rosters here is a set of breakdowns of how they are made up with some details by Division and team. A total of 323 players returned to their same club from 2017 while 89 players moved from other clubs. For 2018, opening week rosters consisted of 16% of the players in their first CFL year.

Total

Returned to same team 323 (65.5%) TOR 48, HAM 41, CGY 40, EDM 39, WPG 35, OTT 33, MTL 32, SSK 31, BC 24 

Veterans on New Teams 89 (18.1%) MTL 13, OTT 10, SSK 9, WPG 9, EDM 9, TOR 7, CGY 6, HAM 3

First-year CFL players 81 (16.4%) MTL 18, OTT 12, HAM 12, SSK 11, CGY 9, WPG 7, BC 6, EDM 4, TOR 2

Of the nine 1st Round picks made in the 2018 Draft, six appeared on 2018 opening week rosters. Only Hamilton (#1 Mark Chapman), Saskatchewan (#5 Dakoda Shepley) and Toronto (#9 Ryan Hunter) did not have their #1 selection join their season-opening roster. Among the 18 players selected in the first two rounds in 2018, 14 of those players (78%) made it onto 2018 CFL rosters.

2 hours ago, voodoochylde said:

I'm not sold on Fogg as a DB to be honest and that side of the field, between he and Alexander, troubles me.  Hopefully Reilly doesn't have enough time to start picking on those guys.

doing the same thing they did last year, have the two allstars together on one side, and the two not so good guys together on the other side. Did not work at all last year. 

I realize, there's more to it than that.

I guess We'll find out pretty quickly with Reilly and friends if this will work. 

Edited by Mark F

3 hours ago, JCon said:

Interesting indeed, but I think that means Ross actually sees the field more on short-yardage packages and, possibly, right after 3rd down conversions. 

Just based on how they organized it last year. 

But also because bennett can run the same option package stuff as streveler. 

I really do not like our depth at DB. No extra cb/hb fogg doing double return duties and full time db with no one to rotate. 

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

Would we not need one more to sit as well?  Either Roh, Wilson, or lankford? 

since fogg is listed in both return spots i assume its lankford. Wilson played pretty well in pre season i hope we carry him. 5 back ups for mlb/wlb and none for cb, hb, or sam. God fordbid a db gets hurt. 

Jones would be the man to rotate and take an injured spot, and he is a good football player but he is far more a S then a cover guy. 

41 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ya he is.  He’s a place holder.

For some reason people seem to think he has suddenly become a borderline all star. Idk I  wouldnt trade corney for him and a 1st round pick. He wouldnt have been top 10 on the DL for us in camp. I get starting less then spectacular NI dts, a role guy eating up OL in the middle can do a ton for your edge rush. But sacrificing good end play is a horrible move imo. 

10 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

I would prefer to see Augustine back there. We need to do everything we can to keep Demski healthy and starting in our receiving core.  

Id love to see petermann given some shots at it. I dont think augustine is well cut out to return. But I also dont love the idea of sending out demski. Id send simonise or ptermann. 

Just now, Jpan85 said:

I am sure if there is a injury in secondary. Fogg would replace the injured player and Jones would go to corner. 

Double shift with fogg starting is an option, but he looked bad in limited reps at sam imo. 

I hope mo gets better and back to his old self soon. If we add him and keep the other 4 its the best situation. 

37 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Double shift with fogg starting is an option, but he looked bad in limited reps at sam imo. 

I hope mo gets better and back to his old self soon. If we add him and keep the other 4 its the best situation. 

Talking just in game

Ah I forgot that Boateng can never be considered a good football player because he fell down the draft board and we weren't the ones to pick him...  got it.

I guess we'll see if he's a placeholder or not tomorrow - but he sure looked good last year.

5 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Ah I forgot that Boateng can never be considered a good football player because he fell down the draft board and we weren't the ones to pick him...  got it.

I guess we'll see if he's a placeholder or not tomorrow - but he sure looked good last year.

Quick little pass rusher but he may be susceptible to the run.