Help us Chris Streveler, You're our Only Hope

Atomic

I’m so bloody happy they went with Streveller. Same thing I said in the chat last week: I’d rather see an exciting offence that takes chances and makes some mistakes than a 2-and-out machine, which is what we would’ve seen under Ross. Streveller has a similar at style to Collaros pre-injury, or even Reilly, whereas Ross is similar to Brohm, post-injury Willy, etc. 

Get Riley off his game....blitz the hell out of them BUT at the same time watch out for his slippery little take off move....Riley can run and like Streveler throws caution to the wind and will bull his way for a first down, taking on all heavy hitters....I'm hoping he'll think twice about escaping the blitz and taking off when he sees Bighill closing in on him...that'll unnerve ol slippery....He's one tough customer and to beat the esks. you have to beat Riley....I hope we can mange to put a few more points on the board than they do and let the D take of the rest...They are a solid club BUT so are we....Gonna be a slobberknocker 

Edited by Stickem

3 minutes ago, O2L said:

I’m so bloody happy they went with Streveller. Same thing I said in the chat last week: I’d rather see an exciting offence that takes chances and makes some mistakes than a 2-and-out machine, which is what we would’ve seen under Ross. Streveller has a similar at style to Collaros pre-injury, or even Reilly, whereas Ross is similar to Brohm, post-injury Willy, etc. 

I feel like ross would be a move not to lose, and streveler is a move to win. 

Reilly I think nails it. better foot speed and a quicker release. 

1 minute ago, Jpan85 said:

I think its best if they can get to Riley only using the front four.

4 and 5 is best imo. With bighill coveraging soo much space in the middle and loffler back deep, we could send the wil, or drop JSK and send bighill. Both would be much more affective then what weve seen in the past few years from blitz packages. I dont think we want to send more then that often though. 

9 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Heard on the radio today that Strevelers team went a calendar year with out turning a ball over. https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2017/10/15/usd-follow-offense-finally-commits-turnover/761381001/

wow thats insane. Thats the most impressive metric from his college career imo. To run a spread with soo many options plays, a dual threat qb and soo many deep balls and not turn it over is mad. 

24 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Heard on the radio today that Strevelers team went a calendar year with out turning a ball over. https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/university-of-south-dakota/2017/10/15/usd-follow-offense-finally-commits-turnover/761381001/

Didn't he throw a pick 6 in the last pre season game?    

I have all the hope in the world for the new guy but my expectations are ultra low and hope that the surrounding talent pick up their game to help us win...

7 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I have all the hope in the world for the new guy but my expectations are ultra low and hope that the surrounding talent pick up their game to help us win...

Lapo today implied that was on a receiver not running the right route. He said that a receiver was supposed to run the safety off but it didn’t happen, so the safety only had one look and went with it. I feel like everyone underestimates the difference our starting receivers and o-line will make. The throws Ross nade are the same regardless of if you have a third stringer or  Bowman in there: check down check down check down. Somehow Streveller comes in with the same crew and makes Thompkins and White look like all stars because he’s actually willing to put the ball up in one on one coverage. 

8 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Yes i believer he did. But wasnt he on the field with like 1 active reserve OL and a bunch of wrs who are cut? He isnt going to be as good as his first game, or as bad as his second game in all likely hood. 

13/19 184 yards 2 tds 1 pic 6 carries 42 yards (with a big run called back). That with pieces around him being found wanting in game two.

I dont expect him to step in and be a star. I expect to see some mistakes and a learning curve. We cant say how quick he will pick it up. Some guys hit the ground running. other guys kick around for 3 years or more and still dont get how the game works up here. We will see what type he is for sure in the coming weeks, but I think he is the hit the ground running type. 

6 minutes ago, O2L said:

Lapo today implied that was on a receiver not running the right route. He said that a receiver was supposed to run the safety off but it didn’t happen, so the safety only had one look and went with it. I feel like everyone underestimates the difference our starting receivers and o-line will make. The throws Ross nade are the same regardless of if you have a third stringer or  Bowman in there: check down check down check down. Somehow Streveller comes in with the same crew and makes Thompkins and White look like all stars because he’s actually willing to put the ball up in one on one coverage. 

No doubt. Dressler and adams can catch and run like mad. bowman is a beast in the red zone. The canadians have shown they more then belong as well. Harris can give him an out let pass with a chance at a first down every time. Most of that OL in bc never started a game before. 

Then add in the fact we arent running vanilla offense in the regular season and we have reason to hope. 

That interception was clearly a wrong route because not only was it intercepted, but it was also no where near the receiver, so either the qb totally missed the throw that badly or the receiver wasn't in the spot he was supposed to be. Considering that Streveler is starting the regular season I guess that shows that the receiver was in the wrong spot. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

The canadians have shown they more then belong as well.

I would like to see these guys do a lot to help the team.

downfield blocking by receivers, something which I think has been missing for a long time. don't know why.

is it they dont know how to do block, or are a-scared, or if they think it's beneath them.

pretty sure Andrew Harris, Flanders, and Johnny A. would appreciate it.

We already know Peterman is willing and able to block. Probably Wolitarski too..

Hoping for a good game from peterman that guy was very impressive.

to sum up.

I'm hopeful. Very hopepful.

As I used to yell in the days of Lancaster

"get reilly! "

Edited by Mark F

4 minutes ago, Mark F said:

I would like to see these guys do a lot to help the team.

downfield blocking by receivers, something which I think has been missing for a long time. don't know why.

is it they dont know how to do block, or are a-scared, or if they think it's beneath them.

pretty sure Andrew Harris, Flanders, and Johnny A. would appreciate it.

We already know Peterman is willing and able to block. Probably Wolitarski too..

Hoping for a good game from peterman that guy was very impressive.

to sum up.

I'm hopeful. Very hopepful.

crush  Reilly..... Bombers win.

Very much agree. A lot of times modern teams plan for wrs to run off the dbs rather then block. Weve seen some really good blocking from wrs in the past, kamau, milt, stoddard etc. 

Petermann seems like hed run through a brick wall if the first down marker was on the other side. Its too bad he isnt starting, I do think he is the better player right now between the 3 young guns. And yeah I expect to see some great blocks from the wrs this year. Just hope fully not from dressler or adams too much. 

Wolitarsky and Bowman are both above average blockers.  They will help out a lot.  I have visions of Demski dancing through defences as Bowman and Wolitarsky clear the way with reckless abandon.

Wolitarsky and Streveler were actually teammates at the University of Minnesota in 2014-15.

Edited by Atomic

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/friesen-bombers-streveler-has-it

This guy must be special if Paul Friesen has a positive article about the guy!!!  

It's a set up. He'll rip him apart starting with the first turnover. He's probably already talking to his ex-GFs. 

2 hours ago, Brandon said:

http://winnipegsun.com/sports/football/cfl/winnipeg-bluebombers/friesen-bombers-streveler-has-it

This guy must be special if Paul Friesen has a positive article about the guy!!!  

Sounds like the real deal. There is an indefinable something about some quarterbacks that oozes "I am going to win". Streveler also appears to have all the physical tools as well as the smarts to be an A-grade quarterback in this league. The only nit-pick that was in the article was that he can let his aggressiveness dictate his play too much when he will force the running play for an extra yard or two and might even extend into trying to force the ball into tight coverage instead of taking what he can get or throwing the ball away. We don't want him to sacrifice himself as Dunigan was wont to do and get injured for an extra two yards.