How many threads do you want?

BigBlue

The request was made today to have a thread for the upcoming game on Thursday. I replied I didn't want to get yelled at for doing so. It is always the same 4 or 5 guys that want to get on my case ... they are abrasive and ornery just because they can  be ... they think it is funny to be mean... I have a thick skin so I don't care about their opinion but I do treasure this site and its overall goals

Some just want two or three threads so they can just follow a couple of narratives without having to go to the effort of clicking other threads

Others like to create very specific discussions about what they like to examine in detail. "Is Streveler our next James Franklin" is an example ...

Some threads bomb getting a disinterested response and others takeoff like wildfire picking up half a dozen pages in no time: cutdown day  and game day threads are examples.

So what do you want, what are your personal preferences?

1] Just two or three threads or a tad more if there is something extraordinary or

2] Do you want to see the freedom and creativity in  a lot of threads.

3] Or maybe you want a modest approach of somewhere in between.

Don't be shy - say what you love.

Speak up for the silent majority that read but don't post..

Do you want a pre-game thread (as one asked) for? Do you want a stand alone game day thread ro go with the chat room?

And for the two of you who asked for a thread about a thread, you have what you want!!!

6 minutes ago, BigBlue said:

The request was made today to have a thread for the upcoming game on Thursday. I replied I didn't want to get yelled at for doing so. It is always the same 4 or 5 guys that want to get on my case ... they are abrasive and ornery just because they can  be ... they think it is funny to be mean... I have a thick skin so I don't care about their opinion but I do treasure this site and its overall goals

Some just want two or three threads so they can just follow a couple of narratives without having to go to the effort of clicking other threads

Others like to create very specific discussions about what they like to examine in detail. "Is Streveler our next James Franklin" is an example ...

Some threads bomb getting a disinterested response and others takeoff like wildfire picking up half a dozen pages in no time: cutdown day  and game day threads are examples.

1] Just two or three threads or a tad more if there is something extraordinary or

Do you want a pre-game thread (as one asked) for? Do you want a stand alone game day thread ro go with the chat room?

And for the two of you who asked for a thread about a thread, you have what you want!!!

I prefer smaller, more focused threads. It becomes too difficult to have any type of meaningful discussion about a player when competing with the entire topic of "Blue Bombers 2018 Training Camp". Had this argument once before as well.

• Jpan85 locked this topic
  • Rich unlocked this topic

okay, I've complained about thread proliferation, and I was probably a little irritable about it, and I regret that. 

This site is my primary source for Bomber news and analysis, so I like to read that stuff instead of the editorial / opinion stuff that I could get from Friesen if I wanted it.  If I were God-Emperor of MBB, here's the thread creation rhythm I'd want:

Around The League 2018 Season -- all non-Bomber news for the whole season.  (There was a super great week in review/preview thing we had last year, I can't remember who posted it, but they used the word balloon emoji a lot.  Tweets and news bits with embedded reactions that were usually apt or funny.  Would love to see that return.  Was it called In Case You Missed It?)

Bomber Game Week / Bye Week Thread  -- opens on Monday on game week, tracks all the Bomber news for that week (Streveler starting, etc)

Game Day Thread obvs

numerous free-for-all post-game analysis threads -- there are trusted names in this business, I know to look for the good ones.

Legit large developments (Jones fired, Nichols gets bionic legs, Dickenson appoints himself short-yardage QB for Stamps) get their own threads.

But really, I'm gonna chill out on this topic from here on out.

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Once again, this is click bait aimed at myself & 17to85.  All I'm gonna say is if you have questions, rather than throw up another thread which you so love to do, why couldn't you have sent Rich a PM & got his opinion & advice? He is good at answering back. 

Sorry man, this is a valid discussion for the community to have, and I'm curious what people thoughts are.

People want to come here and read about big news.  Whether that is Adam Bighill signing in Winnipeg or Johnny Manziel signing in Hamilton.  We don't need to cram those into "Offseason Discussion".  I don't see why that is remotely necessary.  We are not in danger of running out of space, as far as I know.

I think there is a place for a "Bombers weekly thread" but if something big happens, like Matt Nichols going down with injury in practice, that NEEDS its own thread.  I should be able to come here and click on exactly the thread I want and read instant commentary from the community.

I agree with others that there is no need for "This is my random thought" threads.

But the absolute WORST thing is having someone come on here and post some news, and the first comment is "Why isn't this in mega-thread-123?"  How unbelievably annoying.

I'd like this site to be as accessible as possible.  The new season is starting and it would be nice to attract some new thoughts and viewpoints.  Having multiple clearly defined, smaller threads is the way to attract new readers who eventually become new posters.  It's all about speed and ease-of-use.

1 minute ago, Atomic said:

People want to come here and read about big news.  Whether that is Adam Bighill signing in Winnipeg or Johnny Manziel signing in Hamilton.  We don't need to cram those into "Offseason Discussion".  I don't see why that is remotely necessary.  We are not in danger of running out of space, as far as I know.

I think there is a place for a "Bombers weekly thread" but if something big happens, like Matt Nichols going down with injury in practice, that NEEDS its own thread.  I should be able to come here and click on exactly the thread I want and read instant commentary from the community.

I agree with others that there is no need for "This is my random thought" threads.

But the absolute WORST thing is having someone come on here and post some news, and the first comment is "Why isn't this in mega-thread-123?"  How unbelievably annoying.

I'd like this site to be as accessible as possible.  The new season is starting and it would be nice to attract some new thoughts and viewpoints.  Having multiple clearly defined, smaller threads is the way to attract new readers who eventually become new posters.  It's all about speed and ease-of-use.

Completely agree with you Atomic.  Hell will now freeze over!

4 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I still think talking to you is always a good idea.  I say that in a general sense if someone isn't sure about something it doesn't hurt to ask.

I'm a caretaker of the site, not a dictator (although I'm sure there are some I've moderated would disagree with that).  Everyone should have input into something like this.  Don't see the need to PM me first.  

Would be good to have game day threads where the latest info - depth charts and updates - is current on the first post... then you can click on the latest page for forum chats and arguments.  Same for a Blue Bomber Roster and CFL Cuts, etc...

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I like game day treads that's for sure - Even the evil green empire to the west in the flat lands have a pretty good game day thread. I don't mind a lot of threads as I only read the ones that are interest to me. What I don't like is a 40 page thread on a minor topic. Again if you post over on Riderfans.com (which I do) by example they have a huge number of threads with tons of pages on minor obscure issues (even for them) and not even related to a Rider issue. Ugh!

It can be tough to find the middle ground between what's going to be a decent discussion, and what's a waste of time. I do find that almost anytime I open a thread and wonder why does this thread exist, that yes it's opened by BigBlue. On the flip side, I tend to come on to see what's being discussed, and not starting discussion myself.

It may come down to visiting habits. I find when I have time to check daily, new small threads tend to be an annoyance because I'm caught up on everything in the big threads.

When I can't get on daily and I come on after a week 20 new pages in a big thread can seem daunting and I'd prefer there were more specific threads so I could decide what to get caught up on.

With that said, I'll read the content regardless of format. I get liberal with the block button for the people whose thoughts I don't want (and sometimes that ends up in an entire page being redacted. My guess would be the casual readers prefer smaller threads, and the every day guys prefer the big threads.

Just now, Rich said:

I'm a caretaker of the site, not a dictator (although I'm sure there are some I've moderated would disagree with that).  Everyone should have input into something like this.  Don't see the need to PM me first.  

I got some good advice from you over the years so glad I spoke with you. You're no dictator. :)

A reasonable number of new threads don't bother me at all. 

Not sure what  harm can be caused by posting a thread.  one person posting five new threads a day, for instance, would be silly, and unhelpful, but I haven't seen anything like that.

Just don't bother responding if the subject matter, or the name of the person posting it, bothers you. Some of the people that complain about too many threads, rarely start a thread themselves for some reason.

two threads on one subject are already moderated/merged. So that's not a problem.

I like the idea of a regular game week thread, and a game day thread as well.

2 hours ago, BigBlue said:

I advise you to change your avatar.

Maybe others thought you're just monkeying around. 😂