Regular Season Bomber News & Discussion

BigBlue

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Bob was referring to this coming off-season when half the team becomes F.A.'s, they could potentially lose JSK, Alexander, Jeffcoat, Goosen, etc. so Walters has a huge amount of undesignated money to spend, but he said his number one priority would be to re-sign Bighill.

We can't lose Goosen. 

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

This is his 4th year with the club, so I'm not sure when his current contract expires, just an example.  A large portion of the roster is headed for F.A. including some long-term vets.

Goosen's contract expires at the end of the season. Other Olinemen with expiring deals are Hardrick, Chungh and Couture.

3 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

These are the guys that I believe aren't signed for next season;

Bennett
LaFrance
Miller
Dressler
Wolitarsky
Demski
Hardrick
Goosen
Chugh
Couture
Medlock
Rempel
Nevis
Thomas
Okpalaugo
Jeffcoat
Corney
Wild
Santos-Knox
Bighill
Briggs
Gauthier
Miles
Leggett
Fogg
Alexander
Loffler

Imo, those are the must sign.

Not only is the new CBA going to cause concerns for ALL CFL teams, but the Alliance of American Football league will have an impact on a lot of player decisions. Moreso, International players who have had some success in the CFL, or Nationals like Wolitarsky..

This will be a particularly tough period on CFL GMs. 

Wolitarsky, Chungh, Goosen, JSK, Bighill, Demski, Alexander are my must signs.

Wants: Loffler, Medlock, Hardrick 

If we're in cap-hell I could see everyone in my wants wishlist gone honestly

Curious to see what happens with Dressler 

Edited by Dr Zaius

6 hours ago, WinnipegGordo said:

These are the guys that I believe aren't signed for next season;

Bennett
LaFrance
Miller
Dressler
Wolitarsky
Demski
Hardrick
Goosen
Chugh
Couture
Medlock
Rempel
Nevis
Thomas
Okpalaugo
Jeffcoat
Corney
Wild
Santos-Knox
Bighill
Briggs
Gauthier
Miles
Leggett
Fogg
Alexander
Loffler

Thanks for putting this list together. It will be interesting to see how the AAF impacts CFL free agency. I predict some surprises for all teams. I think CFL teams are going to lose more talent than you normally would see. Wouldn’t be shocked to see Wolitarsky, Santos-Knox and Jeffcoat look at signing in the AAF. 

9 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I think wolly is a CFLer for life. 

Hope so. His national status means he’s valuable in the CFL and should get paid. My worry is I think he has the same Minneapolis based agent as Zylstra and Thielen. Might get talked into giving the AAF a shot as a step towards an NFL look. But, I have no idea how US agents view the AAF. Some well connected football types running it though 

16 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Hope so. His national status means he’s valuable in the CFL and should get paid. My worry is I think he has the same Minneapolis based agent as Zylstra and Thielen. Might get talked into giving the AAF a shot as a step towards an NFL look. But, I have no idea how US agents view the AAF. Some well connected football types running it though 

It's unfortunate, but lots of good CFL talent is moving to this league by virtue of our horrendous foreign exchange rate.

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

It's unfortunate, but lots of good CFL talent is moving to this league by virtue of our horrendous foreign exchange rate.

Definitely. And they have a decent TV deal with CBS, we’ll connected football types running it. Hate to say it but if I was an agent for a mid level talent US player convincing me to choose the CFL over the AAF at this point would be tough. I think the elite players, like QB’s, will stay in the CFL. They get paid well, are treated like stars and likely don’t want to hold a clipboard in the NFL

Edited by M.Silverback

Minimum salary AAF: $75,000 USD, which translates to about $97,000 CAD

Minimum salary CFL: $54,000 CAD

Even though the AAF is unproven, you can't blame players for seeking employment elsewhere where the pay is almost 80% more. It'll be interesting to see how the existence of the AAF will impact the upcoming CBA negotiations between CFL/CFLPA for the 2019 season.

38 minutes ago, M.Silverback said:

Definitely. And they have a decent TV deal with CBS, we’ll connected football types running it. Hate to say it but if I was an agent for a mid level talent US player convincing me to choose the CFL over the AAF at this point would be tough. I think the elite players, like QB’s, will stay in the CFL. They get paid well, are treated like stars and likely don’t want to hold a clipboard in the NFL

If this new league can prove to be sustainable over 2-3 years the CFL will take a big hit with their Imports but it won't pave the road to a NFL career anymore than the CFL currently does.  For mid-level talent players like Wolitarsky and others choosing to play in this new league will come down to $$ and preferred location, for un-drafted graduates of US College football or recent NFL cuts it will probably supplant the CFL as the most obvious destination to pursue their careers. 

One thing the CFL can do to combat the outflow is ensure all of their player facilities and benefits are top of the line and each team's football program is run at a high professional standard across the league.  Making the CFL a "nice place" to play football will go a long way to retaining vets. who have already given the NFL a go and are happy to play professional football in a good environment.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

8 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

Even though the AAF is unproven, you can't blame players for seeking employment elsewhere where the pay is almost 80% more. It'll be interesting to see how the existence of the AAF will impact the upcoming CBA negotiations between CFL/CFLPA for the 2019 season.

Hopefully the CFLPA sees the AAF as a legitimate threat to their well-being and works with the CFL to formalize a sound strategy, rather than against it.

2 hours ago, Dr Zaius said:

Wolitarsky, Chungh, Goosen, JSK, Bighill, Demski, Alexander are my must signs.

Wants: Loffler, Medlock, Hardrick 

If we're in cap-hell I could see everyone in my wants wishlist gone honestly

Curious to see what happens with Dressler 

Agree except for Loffler and Alexander.

45 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

This is why any new money added to the salary cap should be spent on raising the minimum salary. Since the last deal most of it has likely gone to Canadians and quarterbacks, which isn't going to help recruit talent from down south.

41 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

If this new league can prove to be sustainable over 2-3 years the CFL will take a big hit with their Imports but it won't pave the road to a NFL career anymore than the CFL currently does.  For mid-level talent players like Wolitarsky and others choosing to play in this new league will come down to $$ and preferred location, for un-drafted graduates of US College football or recent NFL cuts it will probably supplant the CFL as the most obvious destination to pursue their careers. 

One thing the CFL can do to combat the outflow is ensure all of their player facilities and benefits are top of the line and each team's football program is run at a high professional standard across the league.  Making the CFL a "nice place" to play football will go a long way to retaining vets. who have already given the NFL a go and are happy to play professional football in a good environment.

Agree with all of this. The other factor is overall competitiveness. Agents and NFL talent evaluators are going to have to wait and see what the talent and competition level is like in the AAF. I think they’ve got a good sense of the CFL level and how that translates to the NFL. The AAF is a complete unknown. Could turn out to be a bush league or a hidden gem talent league like the USFL. Either way CFL better do something in response 

58 minutes ago, Eternal optimist said:

with the new rules in place in terms of Canadians working in the US - harder to get a TN-1 Visa I have to wonder how easy it will be for a Canadian citizen to get one. I assume for a Canadian to play and get paid in the AAF they will need a TN-1 Visa. Does anyone know more about this than I do? We had to get all of our Canadian employees TN-1 Visa's to work in the US this year.

13 minutes ago, BBRT said:

with the new rules in place in terms of Canadians working in the US - harder to get a TN-1 Visa I have to wonder how easy it will be for a Canadian citizen to get one. I assume for a Canadian to play and get paid in the AAF they will need a TN-1 Visa. Does anyone know more about this than I do? We had to get all of our Canadian employees TN-1 Visa's to work in the US this year.

Athletes typically get one of the extraordinary ability visas.

https://usimmigrationlaw.net/athletes-2/