Regular Season Bomber News & Discussion

BigBlue

3 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

Nichols played like **** in the BB and if you can't see that you are blind.

Some people just go through life without ever taking off the rose coloured glasses.

26 minutes ago, J5V said:

Some people just go through life without ever taking off the rose coloured glasses.

Some people go through life constantly bitching and moan about the same thing, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over... you get the point.

So... did OSH beat you out for a movie part?

We signed a few guys to the expanded practice roster.  I saw it on Global last night, but none of the names jumped out at me, except for a DB named Boobie.  No, I'm not kidding.

There was also a couple of WR's, who's names sounded vaguely familiar, so I'm thinking they may have had some NFL experience, but for the life of me, I can't remember the names....  I was dozing off....  Maybe I was dreaming because I didn't see anything on the website.

Found the new blood in Tait's article.

• DB Jacob Firlotte: (6-3, 216, Queen’s) was selected 58th overall in the 2018 CFL Draft by the Bombers after spending four seasons with the Gaels. Firlotte suited up for 30 games at Queen’s, recording 49 solo tackles and adding three interceptions. He also got a look at weak-side linebacker during training camp.
  • WR/KR Charles Nelson: (5-8, 170, Oregon) was also in training camp this spring. Nelson played four seasons for the Ducks, catching 124 passes for 1,555 yards and 14 touchdowns. Nelson also had 2,424 kick return yards and two kick return touchdowns during his time at Oregon. In 2014, Nelson received the Gordon E. Wilson Award for being Oregon’s top special teams standout and was given 1st-Team Pac-12 All-Conference honours in 2015.
  • WR Kenny Lawler: (6-2, 203, University of California) was selected in the seventh round of the 2016 NFL Draft by the Seattle Seahawks, spending time on their practice squad in 2016 and 2017. Lawler played three seasons with the California Golden Bears, catching 143 passes for 1706 yards and 27 touchdowns.
  • LB Kache Palacio: (6-1, 237, Washington State) recorded 146 total tackles, 26 tackles for a loss and 17 sacks during his career with the Cougars, putting him 10th on the school’s all-time sacks list. In 2016, Palacio signed with the Los Angeles Rams as an undrafted free agent. He also spent time with the Seattle Seahawks, playing in one NFL game in 2017.
  • DB Boobie Hobbs: (5-10, 180, University of Utah) spent three seasons with the Utes, playing in 50 games and making 47 total tackles. In 2016, Hobbs led the NCAA in total punt returns and was third overall in the Pac-12 with 274 punt return yards.

21 minutes ago, Floyd said:

PR management this year is strange...

Five DBs and two LBs - even thought Wild is already a DI

No DE - so if Roh or Okpo goes down, we are totally screwed

Two WRs not named Lankford - although Nelson looks interesting...

The de situation seems weird to me. When Jeffcoat went down, we had to sign some guy off the street and dress him a few days later so we could have enough guys for our regular rotation. Why wouldn't we have at least one guy on the pr ready to go?

29 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

The de situation seems weird to me. When Jeffcoat went down, we had to sign some guy off the street and dress him a few days later so we could have enough guys for our regular rotation. Why wouldn't we have at least one guy on the pr ready to go?

Players have to agree to a pr spot. 

Just now, sweep the leg said:

I'm not sure that needed to be clarified. I'm aware we can't force guys to come to Winnipeg and join our pr, but there must be some decent young de without a job we could have had talked into it.

I'm sure there may have been. But it's just as likely that there were players interested, but they didn't see a benefit of sitting on the pr for 500 a week or whatever it is. Maybe they had a decent job other opportunities etc etc...was just trying to point out that it isn't always a one way street in terms of signing someone, especially to the PR.

17 hours ago, SPuDS said:

*atodasos.

you arent normally the guy to say atodaso, but...

3 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

What is strange to me is why we didnt bring back one of, awoleke, casher, or montgommery from camp. Those guys killed it. I know only two are ends but cmon those guys were great in camp and pre season. 

3 hours ago, Floyd said:

PR management this year is strange...

Five DBs and two LBs - even thought Wild is already a DI

No DE - so if Roh or Okpo goes down, we are totally screwed

Two WRs not named Lankford - although Nelson looks interesting...

I dont think position is weighted very heavily in terms of the PR. 

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

you aren't normally the guy to say atodaso, but...

What is strange to me is why we didn't bring back one of, Awoleke, Casher, or Montgomery from camp. Those guys killed it. I know only two are ends but c'mon those guys were great in camp and pre-season. 

I don't think position is weighted very heavily in terms of the PR. 

Could it be that O'Shea (and maybe other coaches) make their decisions on the basis of personal likes or dislikes?

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

Could it be that O'Shea (and maybe other coaches) make their decisions on the basis of personal likes or dislikes?

Could be. That's okay if the reason(s) for those likes or dislikes are sound.

1 hour ago, Tracker said:

that does happen to some extent. Though its more bad attitude pushing guys off a team and opening a spot for a less talented guy who is a better locker room fit. 

Imo with mos its more about him prioritizing different things. Like he puts a much much bigger value on a guy who can contribute on teams as well as offense or defense. It seems like a guy who is half as good at their primary job but 100% better on teams will keep a roster spot over a guy who is more of an offense or defense guy. I think examples of this are guys like wild, stankford, and hurl. vs guys like terrence frederick, tj thorpe, walker, rueben randle and white, also why kenbrell thompkins sat for soo long as well.  

6 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

The whole DL is weird.  Makes you wonder what needs to hit them in the face to realize how much more consistent the defense has been over the past 3 seasons when they use 7 DL in rotation.  We have a guy in Wild who is essentially useless.  A DL off the street would be more useful to the roster.  There are literally dozens that have been cut by CFL teams this year, including guys the Bombers cut that looked like decent players in pre-season.

How awesome would it be to rotate Bryant, Nevis and Johnson inside?  Thomas could play 20 snaps a game and be a great player in that role too.  Bryant and Johnson can play some end.

Edited by JuranBoldenRules

2 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The whole DL is weird.  Makes you wonder what needs to hit them in the face to realize how much more consistent the defense has been over the past 3 seasons when they use 7 DL in rotation.  We have a guy in Wild who is essentially useless.  A DL off the street would be more useful to the roster.  There are literally dozens that have been cut by CFL teams this year, including guys the Bombers cut that looked like decent players in pre-season.

How awesome would it be to rotate Bryant, Nevis and Johnson inside?  Thomas could play 20 snaps a game and be a great player in that role too.  Bryant and Johnson can play some end.

3 guys that played well enough to make the roster. one dt and two ends. It was boggling that we brought in another guy and have played him over bringing those guys back. especially montgommery. 

9 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Because they felt it was more important to sign receivers, DBs, and everything else it seems than try and replace the defensive linemen we lost in the offseason. Roh was an okay signing but he is not on the same level as a Westerman.

28 minutes ago, Dragon37 said:

Because they felt it was more important to sign receivers, DBs, and everything else it seems than try and replace the defensive linemen we lost in the offseason. Roh was an okay signing but he is not on the same level as a Westerman.

I'm not unhappy with Roh's play this season. Westerman wasn't going to sign here. He signed in Montreal for $25000 more than here. 

12 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I'm not unhappy with Roh's play this season. Westerman wasn't going to sign here. He signed in Montreal for $25000 more than here. 

Like I said Roh was a good signing. I knew that Westerman wasn’t coming back but they didn’t do enough to fill the gap and they cut a bunch of other guys leaving them shallow on the d-line. I just don’t understand their reasoning on this at all

8 hours ago, Dragon37 said:

Like I said Roh was a good signing. I knew that Westerman wasn’t coming back but they didn’t do enough to fill the gap and they cut a bunch of other guys leaving them shallow on the d-line. I just don’t understand their reasoning on this at all

Well you also have to consider that Jeffcoat and Corney are sitting on the IR, that takes a bite out of your depth. Moving on from Westerman isn't really the issue, more of a roster management issue with regards to the numbers of each position around. When the team is healthy they had the 4 DEs they were rotating through.