Regular Season Bomber News & Discussion

BigBlue

Regarding Nichols struggles with the deep ball in games, I assume he throws the deep ball just fine in practice. That would suggest it's not an injury thing but a mental thing. I think he needs to keep trying to connect deep and once he does, his confidence will build. For this reason I hope Lapo doesn't restrict him to short/intermediate throws only.

50 minutes ago, J5V said:

Regarding Nichols struggles with the deep ball in games, I assume he throws the deep ball just fine in practice. That would suggest it's not an injury thing but a mental thing. I think he needs to keep trying to connect deep and once he does, his confidence will build. For this reason I hope Lapo doesn't restrict him to short/intermediate throws only.

This is exactly how I view it.

Yes, last game Bombers went deep perhaps more than they should, although I believe this was because Hamilton was playing man, staying close to the line and blitzing alot, which makes going deep a preferred option in that situation.

Normally Bombers do not go deep enough so I hope they continue with more than just 2 attempts per game even if it does cause some 2 and outs, just don't go overboard with trying it on every series of downs. 

You have to have a deep game for a good balanced offence that is hard to stop and that is the one big flaw in Lapo's current system.

Yeah, regarding Dressler, he had some great years in SK, he has done a great job here and, if you know anything about the guy, is an absolute fierce competitor.

Having said that, with a guy his size and age, and the way we use him in our offense (a lot of sweeps), he is getting injured a fair bit...you have to wonder if this will be his last year. 

1 hour ago, blueingreenland said:

Yeah, regarding Dressler, he had some great years in SK, he has done a great job here and, if you know anything about the guy, is an absolute fierce competitor.

Having said that, with a guy his size and age, and the way we use him in our offense (a lot of sweeps), he is getting injured a fair bit...you have to wonder if this will be his last year. 

We should really stop using him on plays like those sweeps.

Dressler would still make for a great number three receiver at this stage, but this offence has been missing a third game breaking receiver for years. Sadly we blew our load on Bowman this past off-season. I would love to see us make a move to get us another good import receiver here.

9 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

We should really stop using him on plays like those sweeps.

Dressler would still make for a great number three receiver at this stage, but this offence has been missing a third game breaking receiver for years. Sadly we blew our load on Bowman this past off-season. I would love to see us make a move to get us another good import receiver here.

I dunno, Dressler is still our #2 receiver and has been making tons of plays for us. Yeah he is older and more fragile but guy can still play and is still a big contributer. This team just isn't likely to have any receiver put up insane stats simply because of how much they spread things around. 

15 hours ago, TheSource said:

This is exactly how I view it.

Yes, last game Bombers went deep perhaps more than they should, although I believe this was because Hamilton was playing man, staying close to the line and blitzing alot, which makes going deep a preferred option in that situation.

Normally Bombers do not go deep enough so I hope they continue with more than just 2 attempts per game even if it does cause some 2 and outs, just don't go overboard with trying it on every series of downs. 

You have to have a deep game for a good balanced offence that is hard to stop and that is the one big flaw in Lapo's current system.

I actually agree with this statement … from The Source.  It am … surprised.

12 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I dunno, Dressler is still our #2 receiver and has been making tons of plays for us. Yeah he is older and more fragile but guy can still play and is still a big contributer. This team just isn't likely to have any receiver put up insane stats simply because of how much they spread things around. 

That seems to be the philosophy LaPo is employing, lot's of great weapons and everyone is contributing.  The only stat. that matters in the end is the W's.

2 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

That seems to be the philosophy LaPo is employing, lot's of great weapons and everyone is contributing.  The only stat. that matters in the end is the W's.

This just shows great coaching. The Bombers do not have an upper echelon receiver and so he is making it work with scheme.  If you have the studs that Hamilton, BC and Edmonton have, then you are going to use their strengths and certain guys are going to get the ball a lot more.  When the Bombers had the best receiver in the game, Lapo would feed him and work off the coverage other teams deployed against him.  When you have Darvin Adams instead of Milt as your #1, you are going to mix it up a lot and find ways to use everyone's strengths.

3 hours ago, Zontar said:

Anyone recall a Robert Porter. Briefly a WPG db. HAM just signed him.

He’s not bad but unlikely to be a long term answer. Though you never know with the team still employing Unamba. Porter was forced into action at SAM last year due to injuries against BC and while he wasn’t great, it was hardly the perfect circumstances for him to make his debut.