Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Ahh yes ... Man oh man though ... I do have to keep in mind the Als are awful and not a great team to use as a QB performance metric.  But damn .... It's just the way he runs this offense and fires those balls like lasers at times that's just crazy how he does it.

Deepest QB roster I've ever seen on this team.

Whoever we play against the next couple games if Matty ain't ready,  the defensive coordinators got a job to do against Streveler 

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

He spread the ball out also,  everyone on the team caught a few passes.   It was impressive. 

Yeah iirc 4 guys with 3 or more catches only petermann failed to register a catch. every one else caught a ball. incredible. 

5 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Whoever we play against the next couple games if Matty ain't ready,  the defensive coordinators got a job to do against Streveler 

Teams will either spy him with a MLBer or play contain on the end. Its only a matter of time. But at that he can beat you with his arm, and they still are vulnerable to option plays. 

sherritt actually played it perfectly. He showed and dropped, spied and baited very well. But when an athletic QB rolls you either stay flat footed  or cheat in one direction or another.  If he can learn to use rolling and reading to beat spies and contains then he will evolve into a truly elite qb. 

Edited by wbbfan

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Teams will either spy him with a MLBer or play contain on the end. Its only a matter of time. But at that he can beat you with his arm, and they still are vulnerable to option plays. 

Its not that Streveler runs, its that run is a viable option so the linebackers, D-linemen and DB's have to respect that option . If the QB has the options to run, hand off or throw accurately, the opposing defence is at a real disadvantage.

2 minutes ago, Tracker said:

Its not that Streveler runs, its that run is a viable option so the linebackers, D-linemen and DB's have to respect that option . If the QB has the options to run, hand off or throw accurately, the opposing defence is at a real disadvantage.

In the first game, he looked to run more. But we also run a good bit of designed qb keeper and option plays. 

What makes him different then most mobile QB’s is that he’s always looking for a receiver down field and that he can run if the play breaks down and he has space. Think Mike Reilly, instead of looking to run once his first read is gone. Think Justin Goltz. I think he’s going to be a future star in life this league. His composure in the pocket for such a green rookie is impressive. 

3 minutes ago, Arnold_Palmer said:

What makes him different then most mobile QB’s is that he’s always looking for a receiver down field and that he can run if the play breaks down and he has space. Think Mike Reilly, instead of looking to run once his first read is gone. Think Justin Goltz. I think he’s going to be a future star in life this league. His composure in the pocket for such a green rookie is impressive. 

most qbs with that level of athleticism are riffle armed with poor accuracy. And are rough switching between run and throw mode. Like you say he does both at the same time better every play. And he is a guy who can run the possession passing offense while running wild all over the D. 

24 minutes ago, sweep the leg said:

I'm starting to reconsider my objection to starting Streveler over Ross.

I can't even believe he was the TC favorite just watching how Streve and Bennett both just seem to toss it with ease out there.

We can always give Ross to the Als though.  He just might be an upgrade over anyone on their current roster.

Edited by USABomberfan

This is completely foreign territory for Bomber fans, actually having young guys behind your starter who can run the offense. What a giant leap from last season. I think Bennet may actually have a better deep ball than Streveler but really who cares with results like last night. 

One thing that was mentioned on CJOB postgame that we need to keep in mind...Shreveler has benefited from learning on a very good, talent laden offense here.

Put Shreveler in Montreal and what happens? I don't know, but we probably don't see the guy develop. Put him in behind centre in some of our scarry (bad) offenses and offensive lines of the past and what happens? Sadly, he may just be another forgotten name. 

I've brought this up numerous times, but years ago Tom Clements played in Saskatchewan, was running for his life behind a bad O line, and did diddly squat.

My point - The Bomber offense is benefiting from Shreveler, but he is also benefitting from our good offense, good vets, and good co-ordinator.

I have maintained all along that Streveler is not the biggest problem for the Bombers.

The kid will have ups and downs, but a performance like last night is excellent and goes a long way in both his development and reassurance to the organization and fans that he is the future.

Pretty sure that he will solve the problem of having a reliable backup long term - probably much better than Durant would have, and pretty sure he is going to be a successful starer in the CFL very soon.

As commented by the TSN panel, he plays like a young Matt Dunigan clone and has fire, leadership ability, and physical talent.

With the quick release and his intelligence he also fits very well into a Paul LaPolice offence, very similar to Nichols.

Good to see that OShea and LaPolice have allowed the kid to use his legs, which I think was a big missing when they started young QBs in the past - this can only help the kids confidence.

8 hours ago, TheSource said:

I have maintained all along that Streveler is not the biggest problem for the Bombers.

The kid will have ups and downs, but a performance like last night is excellent and goes a long way in both his development and reassurance to the organization and fans that he is the future.

Pretty sure that he will solve the problem of having a reliable backup long term - probably much better than Durant would have, and pretty sure he is going to be a successful starer in the CFL very soon.

As commented by the TSN panel, he plays like a young Matt Dunigan clone and has fire, leadership ability, and physical talent.

With the quick release and his intelligence he also fits very well into a Paul LaPolice offence, very similar to Nichols.

Good to see that OShea and LaPolice have allowed the kid to use his legs, which I think was a big missing when they started young QBs in the past - this can only help the kids confidence.

What's most crazy is we may actually have 3 QBs on this roster - Nichols, Streveler and Bennett all capable of being starters on CFL teams.  Bennett may still be the most unproven out of the 3, but he sure seems to have no jitters at all when he goes out there either.

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

What's most crazy is we may actually have 3 QBs on this roster - Nichols, Streveler and Bennett all capable of being starters on CFL teams.  Bennett may still be the most unproven out of the 3, but he sure seems to have no jitters at all when he goes out there either.

And out of the three Nichols is probably the most nervous about his job.....Streveler An Bennett are both younger and stepped up when needed.  The next few games might even be huger for their resumes....as for Nichols, it's the the old "what have you done for me lately"  scenario........it's going to be interesting...