Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

it wasn't the prettiest hold ever, but the botch was on weather/medlock. He miss fired and kicked the ground then stopped. Un pretty hold, but good on Ross to improvise and then mitigate the loss. 

With his injury, losing out to Streveler, and botched holding job I could see him sitting on the 6 game getting some coaching polish and us bringing in another qb. Perhaps we trade for Adams, maybe we sign another teams cut, maybe the fever comes out of retirement (i hope not) But I don't think we stand pat. 

Franklin's first game, 4/7 41 yards. second game, 5/8 83 yards and 3 tds... against us. Hamilton looks like his first start, but it is certainly his first good sample size. 22/36 254 2 tds 1 int. Similar level of production. A pick on a conversion is interesting. It isn't a turn over, but it does cost a point. But the 2pt convert is not a great decision imo. 

n00bbrady gave us hope. Hope for the games till Nichols is healthy again. Hope, for an era after Nichols. Hope that if Nichols is hurt again, we don't become a write off. 

I expect him to come a bit down in terms of scoring production, but be a bit smoother and steadier. he really put together some great sustained drives. Edm did a great job of challenging him and keeping him off balance. Next week, is Montreal. so maybe scoring production wont go down after all haha. 

To be fair, several so-so quarterbacks have had their way with Hall's defence.

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

To be fair, several so-so quarterbacks have had their way with Hall's defence.

not only that, it seemed for a long time that any qbs coming out party happened against us. 

Fever threw what 4 tds in one half against us two years ago? ohh prevent defense. 🤢

I liked what I saw from Streveler last night. Threw the ball hard and mostly accurately. Seems like he knew who to throw it to. His running gives him another dimension that should help him out when he gets confused. That being said, I'll hold off for a few more games before I call him the next Franklin. Lots of one game wonders in the last few decades. Lets see how he does now that CFL coaches have a bit of film on him and know how PLAP intends on using him.

1 minute ago, TBURGESS said:

I liked what I saw from Streveler last night. Threw the ball hard and mostly accurately. Seems like he knew who to throw it to. His running gives him another dimension that should help him out when he gets confused. That being said, I'll hold off for a few more games before I call him the next Franklin. Lots of one game wonders in the last few decades. Lets see how he does now that CFL coaches have a bit of film on him and know how PLAP intends on using him.

Well, if Franklin's first meaningful action numbers mean anything, Streveler is actually beating him in that regard.  And Franklin was an understudy QB for several games before he came in and was also in an NFL camp.  Streveler has had to do a lot more than he did in much shorter of a time.

My guess is that on the last Bomber drive with the game tied with Edmonton, Streveler would have called a downfield pass to go after the W. Instead the rookie had no choice (except to risk his career here and the starting role) but to run Lapo's two calls ... speaks to his leadership

16 hours ago, BigBlue said:

My guess is that on the last Bomber drive with the game tied with Edmonton, Streveler would have called a downfield pass to go after the W. Instead the rookie had no choice (except to risk his career here and the starting role) but to run Lapo's two calls

where do you even come up with this stuff?

the first play, the pass to Dressler, is a great call with 1:10 to go in a tie game with the ball on your 30.  If that play works, Dressler get hit in stride with no Eskimo within 5 yards.  Easy jog for 10-15 and likely out of bounds too, putting us on the 40 with more than a minute left and needing just a rouge to win. But Streveler missed the throw, maybe because he had to throw around #94.

and look at the second play. his eyes are on the short side of the field until the pocket collapses, and everyone on that side was going long enough to exit the TV screen.  His first read looks pretty much like a midrange or downfield shot there. But he gets flushed and chased to the wide side (again by #94) and then his only choice is to take the sack or that desperation toss to Demski.

For me, the real story of our second-to-last drive is not "wah we have a timid OC who's holding back our gunslinger QB" (and seriously I have no idea how you get that idea from these two plays) but instead why couldn't our line keep #94 out of the kitchen long enough for Streveller to make a play?

Edited by johnzo

6 hours ago, johnzo said:

the first play, the pass to Dressler, is a great call with 1:10 to go in a tie game with the ball on your 30.  If that play works, Dressler get hit in stride with no Eskimo within 5 yards.  Easy jog for 10-15 and likely out of bounds too, putting us on the 40 with more than a minute left.  But Streveler missed the throw, maybe because he had to throw around #94.

and look at the second play.  his eyes are on the short side of the field until the pocket collapses, and everyone on that side was going long enough to exit the TV screen.  His first read looks pretty much like a midrange or downfield shot there. But he gets flushed and chased to the wide side (again by #94) and then his only choice is that desperation toss to Demski.

For me, the real story of our second-to-last drive is not "wah we have a timid OC who's holding back our gunslinger QB" (and seriously I have no idea how you get that idea from these two plays) but instead why couldn't our line keep #94 out of the kitchen long enough for Streveller to make a play?

It looked to me like Dressler could have/should have caught that first pass.  TSN did not show a replay from a different angle, anyone know if it bounced in front of him?

11 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It looked to me like Dressler could have/should have caught that first pass.  TSN did not show a replay from a different angle, anyone know if it bounced in front of him?

It was behind him, he had to stop and come back and he didn't quite get there in time. That pass is more on target and it's a pretty good sized play. As it was I don't think he had much chance of catching that pass, remember he's a wee little guy, small catching radius.

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

It's a pretty tough catch on a slick field, moving full speed one way and the ball lands behind your back hip.  Rod Black called it a drop but I don't think so. 

Well ... Only thing he needs to watch out for is running and not sliding enough.  Got a little bit of the Reilly and Lulay mentality out there.  Tough SOB, but gotta beware of big hits that could hurt the shoulder.

Other thing is just not getting too overconfident after this win.  This Als team may be the worst CFL team I've seen in a while, and yes that includes last year's Tiger Cat team under Austin, the 2014 Redblacks and our 2013 team.  Evidence of that with even Bennett throwing the ball with ease.  I'd venture to guess even LeFevour could have come in and looked like an all-star.

But still ... This may be the deepest offense talent wise at QB and other positions that I've seen in a while.

1 minute ago, USABomberfan said:

Remember our first TD was a gadget Darvin Adams TD pass.

Not counting that...just going by the cfl site

edit.....Adams got credit in the stats for his passing TD......an Streveler has 3 in the stats, plus one rushing

Edited by NorthernSkunk

He has 6 TD passes,  they interviewed him on tsn and brought up that he set a record for throwing 3 td passes in his first two pro starts which has never been done in the CFL.    His response was that numbers and stats don't matter and winning regardless of who scores is all that he cared about.  He sounded like a young O'Shea.    The guy definitely is a team player. 

Just now, NorthernSkunk said:

Not counting that...just going by the cfl site

Ahh yes ... Man oh man though ... I do have to keep in mind the Als are awful and not a great team to use as a QB performance metric.  But damn .... It's just the way he runs this offense and fires those balls like lasers at times that's just crazy how he does it.

Deepest QB roster I've ever seen on this team.

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

He has 6 TD passes,  they interviewed him on tsn and brought up that he set a record for throwing 3 td passes in his first two pro starts which has never been done in the CFL.    His response was that numbers and stats don't matter and winning regardless of who scores is all that he cared about.  He sounded like a young O'Shea.    The guy definitely is a team player. 

he had a long interview on OB too, and spent half of it talking about the great blocking by his OL and backs putting them in good position on second down.