Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

Overall, there are a couple of concerns for me: firstly, as was mentioned by another poster, O'Shea seems to be more disposed to keeping veteran players instead of opting for newcomers who have shown equally well or better. Secondly, I hope this does not extend to his choice of starting quarterbacks. Case in point is Willy's tenure here- almost unanimously this forum knew way before his trade that Willy was damaged beyond repair, yet O'Shea kept trotting him out. That did not serve either Willy nor the team well.

18 minutes ago, tracker said:

Overall, there are a couple of concerns for me: firstly, as was mentioned by another poster, O'Shea seems to be more disposed to keeping veteran players instead of opting for newcomers who have shown equally well or better. Secondly, I hope this does not extend to his choice of starting quarterbacks. Case in point is Willy's tenure here- almost unanimously this forum knew way before his trade that Willy was damaged beyond repair, yet O'Shea kept trotting him out. That did not serve either Willy nor the team well.

Until Nichols comes back I'd like to see a healthy dose of all 3 candidates, I truly hope Mike doesn't point to one guy and say "that's my man, come hell or high water".

18 minutes ago, tracker said:

I would have probably looked at his not benching Hurl when he was here as a worse sin because he was way more consistently bad than Willy IMO.  In Willy's case, you at least had an argument that perhaps he still had it in him to learn Lapo's offense and finally jumpstart something because back in 2014 and 15 he had shown some propensity to be a future star QB.  Yes he should have probably turned the job over to Nichols sooner, but once Nichols did get that start against Edmonton Willy never saw the field again.

Now ... We don't know yet how much rope Ross is going to get.  I feel if Streveler could have just continued on the tear he was on against Edmonton that Ross would be riding in the back seat by now for sure.  But ... I do see where the concern might be that MOS is a bit concerned about trying to turn underperformers into studs at the expense of winning at certain times.  It's often surprised me how despite he and Walters working well together, Walters does seem to be wanting more superior players out on the field.

23 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Until Nichols comes back I'd like to see a healthy dose of all 3 candidates, I truly hope Mike doesn't point to one guy and say "that's my man, come hell or high water".

I agree.

I don’t see any reason not to use the QBs in the same way we saw them in that last game. Nobody has stood out as being the next one up. Ross has a slight advantage but we would be better served keeping Edmonton defenders off guard not knowing what or who is coming up next. 

This is the ideal situation to package an offence around all our QBs. We only have 2 practices this week, so we should roll with what we’re doing.

56 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

I would have probably looked at his not benching Hurl when he was here as a worse sin because he was way more consistently bad than Willy IMO.  In Willy's case, you at least had an argument that perhaps he still had it in him to learn Lapo's offense and finally jumpstart something because back in 2014 and 15 he had shown some propensity to be a future star QB.  Yes he should have probably turned the job over to Nichols sooner, but once Nichols did get that start against Edmonton Willy never saw the field again.

Now ... We don't know yet how much rope Ross is going to get.  I feel if Streveler could have just continued on the tear he was on against Edmonton that Ross would be riding in the back seat by now for sure.  But ... I do see where the concern might be that MOS is a bit concerned about trying to turn underperformers into studs at the expense of winning at certain times.  It's often surprised me how despite he and Walters working well together, Walters does seem to be wanting more superior players out on the field.

I think we're all forgetting that Marcel B. was the O.C. during those dark years when O'Shea would not take out his starting QB no matter what **** was going down.  LaPo was the O.C. when they made the switch from Willy to Nichols so perhaps he is more amiable to balancing the needs of his QB's with their performance in games.  I suppose a study of how he's handled QB's in previous O.C. positions would predict how he handles the current situation, as I think he is the actual decision maker.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

1 hour ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Well if you want any of them to succeed someone is going to have to get more reps in practice and have a gameplan designed for them.  Ross is very different from the other two IMO.

4 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Well if you want any of them to succeed someone is going to have to get more reps in practice and have a gameplan designed for them.  Ross is very different from the other two IMO.

I think we're looking a little more at it as a week by week thing.  Assuming Ross does go in the opener which seems to be what will happen, he'll get a majority of the reps.  But over the course of several weeks, he'd better be able to pass for multiple TDs or he should be benched without question.

As I've said, I don't like risk averse QBs, and i don't care if Bennett's deep ball looked ugly, at least he gun slinged it out there.  Ross has been doing little by way of giving any of our jump ball guys a chance to get downfield and make a big play on it.  Bennett and Streveler can bring out that element in Lapo's offense.

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I think we're looking a little more at it as a week by week thing.  Assuming Ross does go in the opener which seems to be what will happen, he'll get a majority of the reps.  But over the course of several weeks, he'd better be able to pass for multiple TDs or he should be benched without question.

As I've said, I don't like risk averse QBs, and i don't care if Bennett's deep ball looked ugly, at least he gun slinged it out there.  Ross has been doing little by way of giving any of our jump ball guys a chance to get downfield and make a big play on it.  Bennett and Streveler can bring out that element in Lapo's offense.

Agreed. Ross looks to be more of a Kevin Glenn sort of quarterback, If he can't fire it deep once in awhile with accuracy and zip, he will be found out.

All in all, I thought that was a good showing for Streveler and we gotta stick with him.  Sure he threw two picks and was just over 50% in completions, but considering he's a raw rookie who's barely had time to learn the playbook and has not had the benefit of learning for a year behind a veteran, I was very impressed with him.  Bumps and bruises with a rookie QB must be expected, but he's got resiliency through and through, and once he gets experience I believe he really could tear this league up.

Yes I do think we got Franklin MacManus here.

yeah...he will only get better...Any raw rookie who can come in...produce 3 td's...and a field goal in less than ideal weather conditions definitely has earned some time to grow..if god forbid late in year he has to come in for reps here and there he should be that much better.

Also watching from sidelines as Nichols works this offence under real conditions is going to help him immensely too....and be nice to see him run that cheetah after a short yardage play...unlike Lefovour trying to do it. Streveler comes from a no huddle offence so he will be able to manage that quite well with his game rep experience he will have gained

2 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I'd say this just may be Walters's biggest find as GM yet.  First fresh out of college rookie to start in the league since Anthony Calvillo and I'd be willing to bet he did even better than AC did in his baptism of fire game.

Although this article doesn't outright say so, It implies that  Paul LaPolice was the person who gets the credit for bringing Streveller here. 

Chris Streveler was well into a record-setting second season at the University of South Dakota when his play caught the eye of an offensive co-ordinator north of the border.

“He’s a guy we were charting around October,” Blue Bombers offensive boss Paul LaPolice said, Tuesday. “I started checking on him and seeing his numbers and saying we’ve got to find out more about this kid… this is a quarterback we’ve got to keep our eye on.”

The Bombers saw enough to put Streveler on their negotiation list, locking up his CFL rights.

“Coach LaPo had reached out to me after my senior season had ended and let me know that I was on their neg-list,” Streveler said. “We kind of kept in touch.”

sun.

Streveler should hit 300 yards next game...  I am not seeing how Montreal's personnel matches up with Stubler bend/don't break

Plus our front seven will destroy Willy - Xavier Fulton is done imo

Excited to see what Rueben 'Hurricane' Carter can do at RT though...!!!  What a comeback!!!

12 minutes ago, Mark F said:

Although this article doesn't outright say so, It implies that  Paul LaPolice was the person who gets the credit for bringing Streveller here. 

sun.

True, but Walters still would have to make the final call on that I imagine.  So give credit to him for listening.

Still, perhaps now a few posters like 17to85 will stop bagging on Lapo since he did that.

I initially refused to vote on this forum question, but now will say "Yes".

I believe Shreveler is the real deal. I think this guy will be a team' s #1 QB in 3 years...I just hope it is with us. He is smart (almost finished 2nd Masters degree), athletic, has a good arm, and has some leadership skills.

The silver lining to Matt's injury is this guy will get much needed playing time which will only make us a better team.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

Some how Alex Ross still managed to heavily contribute to the loss.

it wasnt the prettiest hold ever, but the botch was on weather/medlock. He miss fired and kicked the ground then stopped. Un pretty hold, but good on ross to improvise and then mitigate the loss. 

With his injury, losing out to streveler, and botched holding job I could see him sitting on the 6 game getting some coaching polish and us bringing in another qb. Perhaps we trade for adams, maybe we sign another teams cut, maybe the fever comes out of retirement (i hope not) But I dont think we stand pat. 

10 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I initially refused to vote on this forum question, but now will say "Yes".

I believe Shreveler is the real deal. I think this guy will be a team' s #1 QB in 3 years...I just hope it is with us. He is smart (almost finished 2nd Masters degree), athletic, has a good arm, and has some leadership skills.

The silver lining to Matt's injury is this guy will get much needed playing time which will only make us a better team.

franklins first game, 4/7 41 yards. second game, 5/8 83 yards and 3 tds... against us. Hamilton looks like his first start, but it is certainly his first good sample size. 22/36 254 2 tds 1 int. Similar level of production. A pick on a conversion is interesting. It isnt a turn over, but it does cost a point. But the 2pt convert is not a great decision imo. 

n00bbrady gave us hope. Hope for the games till nichols is healthy again. Hope, for an era after nichols. Hope that if nichols is hurt again, we dont become a write off. 

I expect him to come a bit down in terms of scoring production, but be a bit smoother and steadier. he really put together some great sustained drives. Edm did a great job of challenging him and keeping him off balance. Next week, is montreal. so maybe scoring production wont go down after all haha.