Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

33 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

If they wanted an extra arm I think they could have grabbed an aged out NI, or a few try out guys. plus 5 arms is a lot. I think it was a reaction to the level of play mahoney brought. He was well behind at the hop. 

I hope soo too. Though I kind of feel like he might be a guy who should have taken a college position change. Im a big fan of mobile qbs as your back up. 

Some truth to that. With rookies / developmental guys for sure. Its not just consistency coaching though, its a chance to get their feet wet. When a game is a blow out in the 4th qt one way or another you need to use that chance to get a guy in. We havent done a good job of that in the mos era. And not just at QB. 

Great teams develop talent. Good and worse teams have talent slip between their fingers or waste it. We were a bad team, and became a good team. Now we need to take the step up to becoming a great team. 

No sense worrying about Elliott who was here five years ago. That ship has sailed.

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

No sense worrying about Elliott who was here five years ago. That ship has sailed.

Well, you know how it is with us bomber fans.  Reminisce reigns supreme around here lol.  But for real, I don't think anyone's worried about the wrongs of the Mack regime anymore other than hoping now that Streveler really is the homegrown gem that he appears to be, and that this time we don't throw that talent away unnecessarily.

1 hour ago, tracker said:

You may be confusing "worrying" with feeling nauseous and depressed. Easy to do.

We had Justin Goltz who should have been a receiver as he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn from 20 feet away but he had nice cuff links. We had Brian Brohm who should have been a ball boy. Then there was Robert Marve who needed two new knees. And finally there was Drew Willy who needed a shrink. All thanks to the pylons we referred to as  offensive linemen.

On 2018-06-02 at 11:29 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

Bennett? Isn't he back with the Bombers?

I would perhaps add MBT to the list of qbs who didnt get a fair shake here. That said I think he is far more likely at this point (despite giving franklin a serious run for his money in tc and pre season) to be a professional hanger oner then a go to starter or even a no2. 

Weve been fast to bring in and spit out young qbs under this regime. And while it may mean they didnt show us what we wanted or showed a fatal flaw, or it could show a disconnect between the scouting dept and coaching, the fact a few of our young off cuts have bounced around after us with out getting much reps here says some thing about the talent and fact we didnt give em much of a chance. We had one maybe two years ago with a huge pedigree, brought much excitement but was cut a week or two later to bounce around a bit as well. Its not saying these guys are stars, but that we arent giving them much of a chance. I wasnt a D davis fan, but we didnt give him a chance to develop late in blow out games either.

We have frequently made questionable talent decisions. Clearly we are not privy to the decision making process. Cases like frederick, thorpe etc are explainable. But kuale, hurl, newf, roc et al are not. 

https://www.bluebombers.com/2018/06/03/training-camp-june-3rd-recap/

"I got the call to come here”  this spring said Brian Bennett ...

Ed Tait says "Bennett, it would seem, is a bit of depth insurance as a player with a cannon arm, superb athleticism and who is familiar with the offence. But with Sunday being his first day taking live reps, he also has some catching up to do."

So it will be a battle for the third spot on the roster Friday night but I bet our 4th QB will be PR-ed ... I believe we know our powers in the Bomber office have created a stable of worthy QB's to  develop and who emerges best is yet to be seen in just training camp

2 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I would perhaps add MBT to the list of qbs who didnt get a fair shake here. That said I think he is far more likely at this point (despite giving franklin a serious run for his money in tc and pre season) to be a professional hanger oner then a go to starter or even a no2. 

Weve been fast to bring in and spit out young qbs under this regime. And while it may mean they didnt show us what we wanted or showed a fatal flaw, or it could show a disconnect between the scouting dept and coaching, the fact a few of our young off cuts have bounced around after us with out getting much reps here says some thing about the talent and fact we didnt give em much of a chance. We had one maybe two years ago with a huge pedigree, brought much excitement but was cut a week or two later to bounce around a bit as well. Its not saying these guys are stars, but that we arent giving them much of a chance. I wasnt a D davis fan, but we didnt give him a chance to develop late in blow out games either.

We have frequently made questionable talent decisions. Clearly we are not privy to the decision making process. Cases like frederick, thorpe etc are explainable. But kuale, hurl, newf, roc et al are not. 

I believe MBT left of his own accord rather than being cut by the Bombers.

Gil Brandt

Troy Aikman

Drafted: No. 1 overall by the Dallas Cowboys in 1989.

First start: Loss (28-0) to the Saints in Week 1 of 1989; 17 of 35 (48.6 percent) for 180 yards, zero touchdowns, two interceptions, two sacks and a passer rating of 40.2.

Aikman -- whom I helped scout and draft -- was thrown right into the mix as a rookie. While he didn't seem lost or overwhelmed at all in that first game, he finished his first season -- which was interrupted by a broken finger that cost him five games -- with nine touchdowns against 18 interceptions while averaging just 5.9 yards per pass. Those are not very good numbers. In fact, it wasn't until his third year in the NFL that he managed to throw more touchdowns (11) than picks (10).

He also wrote

I think, in general, a lot of rookie quarterbacks are surprised by the complexity of the game at the pro level and the sophistication of their opponents -- how well people disguise coverages and how effectively they exploit weaknesses. 

I don't know if the Bombers are different than other teams, but I don't think quarterbacks here have had a good chance. Willy was pretty good, till he got destroyed. The guy practically dragged himself onto the field to keep playing. People were calling the city "willypeg" 

Davis was given pretty much no chance at all to figure things out as far as on the field time went. Replaced by LeFevour, didn't Dan retire from football? That quick hook was wierd.

Also, someone named "baltazar" needs to be given every opportunity to make a name for himself in the CFL.

Edited by Mark F

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

On 1290 radio today, Ross stated that, upon reviewing the game film, he felt that he wasn't that far off a good performance. Just has to tweak a couple of things- we shall see.

I'm having flashbacks of the dark years where Burke would say "Everything looked good and we are almost there just need to make minor tweaks".....

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Is the full game online somewhere?    On the radio Irving was pretty clear that the throws were really bad and it wasn't the drops for his bad showing. 

The one I'm thinking of, White had one in his hands that he simply dropped. This was not too long after his catch and run TD.