Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?

Will Streveler Be Our James Franklin?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. Is Streveler Going To Be A Successful Walters Home Grown QB?

• Yes
    • No

One preseason game, but 10/10 looks pretty damn good, and I'd certainly take him to backup Nichols over Ross.  Hopefully he's not simply another Robert Marve, but if he's not in injury troubled, I think we just might have our insurance guy just in case anything happens to Matt.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

Reminds me of preseason 2011 when Mike Reilly came out of nowhere to go 8/8 for 108 yards and a couple TDs with the Lions.

And Streveler is younger than he was coming into the league IIRC.

And btw, I don't think it's too early to get excited about a backup.  I mean really, we're not talking about a starter.  This team is Nichols's and will remain such hopefully for a long time.  But I've had the belief we can put out our own groomed QB into the market like Collaros or the aforementioned Franklin, and Streveler sure looks like a good bet to do it.  Just hopefully we'll have him a couple seasons as the injury insurance policy 

Give the guy some time to prove he has what it takes to lead this club ...Way too early to anoint him as the 'next' guy....I have to admit he sure showed a lot of 'promise' last night and that's a good thing...He has to 'keep on'...'keepin on' before I'd answer 'yes' in this poll

33 minutes ago, USABomberfan said:

And Streveler is younger than he was coming into the league IIRC.

And btw, I don't think it's too early to get excited about a backup.  I mean really, we're not talking about a starter.  This team is Nichols's and will remain such hopefully for a long time.  But I've had the belief we can put out our own groomed QB into the market like Collaros or the aforementioned Franklin, and Streveler sure looks like a good bet to do it.  Just hopefully we'll have him a couple seasons as the injury insurance policy 

It’s too early because he had all day to throw last night. Our O-line was dominating and Edmonton was running a vanilla defence.

1 minute ago, Mark F said:

interesting   cause people said Streveller didn't look that good in training, and Ross looked good in training.

NIce to see a guy do well who played in S Dakota. I like that for some reason.

Yeah Alex Ross throws a pretty ball and can be accurate in practice, Streveler can be erratic in practice and just seemed to run too much. Really happy Streveler perform with the lights on and likely snag that backup role for the time being.

Can we give the guy a season before comparing him to Franklin? The guy needs time to learn the game and grow.  Got to lower those expectations.

Now Ross on the other hand I would be keeping a close eye.  When you can't move the ball against a vanilla defense full of back ups then this is a bad sign. Maybe he gets two quarters next game to see if we need to look elsewhere for a backup.

22 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I only had the radio but Ross to me didn't handle the pressure of the situation well. That happens to a lot of guys when the lights go on but I wouldn't let it define him yet. See how he rebounds next week. It is concerning though that he bungled an opportunity last night.

It's a bit concerning about Ross. I thought I read/heard the knock on him out of BC was that he looked good in practice, but they weren't happy with his performance in a game. Seems to be the same thing here. We'll see how he does next week.

1 hour ago, Gotmilt said:

It’s too early because he had all day to throw last night. Our O-line was dominating and Edmonton was running a vanilla defence.

Most young QBs who've been developed and put out on the market have had good O-lines to train behind.

Just now, USABomberfan said:

Most young QBs who've been developed and put out on the market have had good O-lines to train behind.

Yeah, it'll be a little different with Sewell trying to take his head off. My point is our o-line was better than whoever the esks brought here.

2 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Yeah, it'll be a little different with Sewell trying to take his head off. My point is our o-line was better than whoever the esks brought here.

Maybe, but the number 2 QB spot should not, and I hope will not be handed to Ross on a silver platter.  Just cuz he has 1 year in the league already does not mean the job should be his or be the prohibitive favorite.  Solid blocking up front or no, Streveler sure didn't seem to let the moment get to him.