Game Day: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Pre-Season) June 1, 2018

Rich

Streveler looked awesome out there... composed, moves very well.... I was pretty worried about our backup position, but after seeing him play last night, I'm confident that we've got a guy who's going to learn the game, and not only be a reliable backup, but push Nichols to be better.   Streveler appears to have a better arm, is more mobile, and with some experience, I think could even push for the #1 job.   Now I realize it's one game, and it wasn't against a full team of starters, but his play was still impressive regardless.   I hope he gets a full half to play next week, and Nichols gets left at home.  You gotta let these guys get some playing time if they're ever going to develop, which is something this coaching staff has totally failed at the last few years.

12 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Streveler looked awesome out there... composed, moves very well.... I was pretty worried about our backup position, but after seeing him play last night, I'm confident that we've got a guy who's going to learn the game, and not only be a reliable backup, but push Nichols to be better.   Streveler appears to have a better arm, is more mobile, and with some experience, I think could even push for the #1 job.   Now I realize it's one game, and it wasn't against a full team of starters, but his play was still impressive regardless.   I hope he gets a full half to play next week, and Nichols gets left at home.  You gotta let these guys get some playing time if they're ever going to develop, which is something this coaching staff has totally failed at the last few years.

2016: 11-7

2017: 12-6

Ya, total failure...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Nah..his 2 playoff appearances with us if we had any semblance of a defense he would have won...should have won really no fault of his..The 2 playoff games have been statistically 2 of his better games of his career.. he's legit

Yeah both years in the playoffs have arguably been the best we've seen from Nichols, conversely was among the worst we've seen from the D. 

2 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

2016: 11-7

2017: 12-6

Ya, total failure...

You're missing the point I was making.... failure in that they haven't given the other QB's more playing time when they've had the chance.  There were lots of games last year where the game was totally in hand, where they could have thrown in Davis to get him some seasoning, but they'd keep rolling out Nichols right to the bitter end.  That doesn't help development.

By no means was last year a failure at all... I'm talking about one facet, sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Nah..his 2 playoff appearances with us if we had any semblance of a defense he would have won...should have won really no fault of his..The 2 playoff games have been statistically 2 of his better games of his career.. he's legit

No kidding- two 35+ point games. if the defense was even average, he should have won both.

2 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

You're missing the point I was making.... failure in that they haven't given the other QB's more playing time when they've had the chance.  There were lots of games last year where the game was totally in hand, where they could have thrown in Davis to get him some seasoning, but they'd keep rolling out Nichols right to the bitter end.  That doesn't help development.

By no means was last year a failure at all... I'm talking about one facet, sorry you misunderstood what I was saying...

were there really a lot of chances? Remember this is the CFL, 20 points is a small lead, especially the way our D was giving up yards. This team didn't do anything easily. They often played tight games. 

19 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

Goes 10-10 once in preseason and he's pushing Nichols for starting. 

4 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

And if he puts in the backup and things go bad, people would be screaming about not playing your best players.  If the backup plays, you should expect that there will be a drop off in performance regardless of how much "garbage time" they have played.  So I'd rather see the best players on the field until there is no doubt of the outcome, and as has been said, there really aren't that many situations where that happens.

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

were there really a lot of chances? Remember this is the CFL, 20 points is a small lead, especially the way our D was giving up yards. This team didn't do anything easily. They often played tight games. 

WEEK 8 vs Hamilton.  Bombers 39 Hamilton 12.   No stats for backup QB.

Banjo Bowl  Bombers 48  Riders 28.  No stats for backup QB

WEEK 14 vs Ottawa.  Bombers 29 Ottawa 9.  Davis gets 3 reps, probably on the last drive of the game, even though the Bombers were up 22-3 going into the 4th.

WEEK 17 vs BC.  Bombers 26 BC 20.  Nichols throws for 176 yds and 0 TDs and looked awful.  No backup time.

WEEK 19 vs BC.  Nichols gets injured and our QBs combined have thrown a handful of passes, and subsequently look awful.

All I'm saying is, get the backups some time when you have the opportunity.   There are 4 scenarios listed above where they could have confidently put in a backup because the game was in hand... but didn't.    So do they have these opportunities often, maybe not... but when they do, take advantage of them.

Edited by trueBlue83

Looking at tube on Streveler....can certainly see he has some tools, passing and running the ball.  The deal was that he was supposedly too raw experience wise.....and that Ross had it. 

Unfortunately, it looked more like a Brohm experience, with Ross, last nite.  He won't survive another showing like that.  

Streveler, on the other hand, did a lot of what the coaches like to see....going through his progressions, checkoffs and looking pretty poised, over all.

4 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

WEEK 14 vs Ottawa.  Bombers 29 Ottawa 9.  Davis gets 3 reps, probably on the last drive of the game, even though the Bombers were up 22-3 going into the 4th.

WEEK 17 vs BC.  Bombers 26 BC 20.  Nichols throws for 176 yds and 0 TDs and looked awful.  No backup time.

WEEK 19 vs BC.  Nichols gets injured and our QBs combined have thrown a handful of passes, and subsequently look awful.

All I'm saying is, get the backups some time when you have the opportunity.   There are 4 scenarios listed above where they could have confidently put in a backup because the game was in hand... but didn't.    So do they have these opportunities often, maybe not... but when they do, take advantage of them.

We have done that for years......then in crunchtime (injuries) throwing in a guy, not even really knowing if he can ball

15 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

So we're going from lots of chances to here's 5 chances, except that one of them you will see is a game the Bombers won by 6 points, even if Nichols is struggling you put a back up in you risk more because even when Nichols was off he was still avoiding turn overs. 

Then the other game is one where the backups did actually play, so really you've got maybe 3 games, and even one of those 3 was a 20 point win and as discussed things change quickly in the CFL. Leads can evaporate in a hurry. 

As I said, this team didn't do anything easily. 

Edited by 17to85

4 minutes ago, do or die said:

Looking at tube on Streveler....can certainly see he has some tools, passing and running the ball.  The deal was that he was supposedly too raw experience wise.....and that Ross had it. 

Unfortunately, it looked more like a Brohm experience, with Ross, last nite.  He won't survive another showing like that.  

Streveler, on the other hand, did a lot of what the coaches like to see....going through his progressions, checkoffs and looking pretty poised, over all.

When defences bring more pressure and start changing up the zone coverages that'll be his real test. Really good performance last night though.

59 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

So we're going from lots of chances to here's 5 chances, except that one of them you will see is a game the Bombers won by 6 points, even if Nichols is struggling you put a back up in you risk more because even when Nichols was off he was still avoiding turn overs. 

Then the other game is one where the backups did actually play, so really you've got maybe 3 games, and even one of those 3 was a 20 point win and as discussed things change quickly in the CFL. Leads can evaporate in a hurry. 

As I said, this team didn't do anything easily. 

even 4 opportunities on an 18 game schedule is substantial.  I'm not going to go back to previous season any further, but if I did, I guarantee in 2016 & 2015, you'd see similar results, even when we're losing games.   O'Shea has proven to be very stubborn about deviating from using his starting QB regardless of the score.

It's no secret that I don't think Nichols is the stellar QB a lot of Bomber fans seem to think he is, and that's simply my opinion.  I'd love for him to put up 40 TD's and 5000 yds this season and prove me wrong! 

17 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

even 4 opportunities on an 18 game schedule is substantial.  I'm not going to go back to previous season any further, but if I did, I guarantee in 2016 & 2015, you'd see similar results, even when we're losing games.   O'Shea has proven to be very stubborn about deviating from using his starting QB regardless of the score.

It's no secret that I don't think Nichols is the stellar QB a lot of Bomber fans seem to think he is, and that's simply my opinion.  I'd love for him to put up 40 TD's and 5000 yds this season and prove me wrong! 

Well itt's safe to say we think your opinion is wrong.

16 minutes ago, Gotmilt said:

Well itt's safe to say we think your opinion is wrong.

and good for you.... i don't really care. I show up to every game and cheer my team on regardless, and even during the lean years, still showed up every game and watched them suck.  I've earned my right to believe whatever I want!

45 minutes ago, trueBlue83 said:

and good for you.... i don't really care. I show up to every game and cheer my team on regardless, and even during the lean years, still showed up every game and watched them suck.  I've earned my right to believe whatever I want!

very impressive.

I’d like to see the back up QB’s get some time in lopsided games too, but with our Defence, the last few years, maybe O’Shea was hesitant to let the foot of the gas, offensively?  Knowing we could very easily give up a few scores in a short period of time.  Just a thought.

48 minutes ago, BomberBall said:

I’d like to see the back up QB’s get some time in lopsided games too, but with our Defence, the last few years, maybe O’Shea was hesitant to let the foot of the gas, offensively?  Knowing we could very easily give up a few scores in a short period of time.  Just a thought.

That's true with any team. Problem is, you can't just send a back-up out to eat up the clock like in the NFL. Turnovers and two-and-outs make the game so much closer than they seem. 

45 minutes ago, JCon said:

That's true with any team. Problem is, you can't just send a back-up out to eat up the clock like in the NFL. Turnovers and two-and-outs make the game so much closer than they seem. 

Maybe so, but it’s more true with a terrible defence.