Game Day: Edmonton @ Winnipeg (Pre-Season) June 1, 2018

Rich

33-13 Close enough to call it a blow-out pounding .... Edmonton showed next to nothing ... a play here and a play there but nothing consistent ... in the second half our rookies beat up their rookies ... can't wait for the home opener when our starters will beat up their starters

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

Meh i wouldn't get to over excited about these guys... they were playing against complete scrubs.    

The only takeaways is that White will make the team and that Ross better do something next week because 1/8 against scrubs is not a good first look. 

Ignorant.  Playing against guys in the same situation as them, trying to make a team.  Even competition.

Just now, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ignorant.  Playing against guys in the same situation as them, trying to make a team.  Even competition.

If anything that proves my point....  not playing against starters so what they did really means nothing.   Far from ignorant. 

Brian Bennett is due to get a few reps next Friday against the Lions so half a quarter for him and Ross, a quarter for Steveler and Nichols .... the rest goes to the performers ... unless MOS leaves Nichols at home but I don't think he will

Just now, Brandon said:

If anything that proves my point....  not playing against starters so what they did really means nothing.   Far from ignorant. 

So basically teams shouldn't have a training camp and pre-season then since half the players won't make their team. You really think there's no value in what took place on the field?

5 minutes ago, Goalie said:

After 1 preseason game against backups? I dunno. Streveler was good but.. I dont think 1 game against Edmontons cuts proves much. 

They are backups too. 

If Ross doesnt have a good showing against Edm backup what does it says about him?

Edited by M.O.A.B.

So basically teams shouldn't have a training camp and pre-season then since half the players won't make their team. You really think there's no value in what took place on the field?

Who said that their was no value?  I said that our guys playing well against TCF of Edmonton does not mean anything.   If they put up big stats against starters then I would get excited. 

Just now, Goalie said:

Streveler looked great from the sound of things.. For a pure rookie to come in and do what he did... Amazing. Yeah he was playing against Cuts but... Some of those guys will be cut because of what Streveler did to them. 

And compared to the Sask performance against those same Esk backups, Streveler looks much better.

Just now, Brandon said:

Who said that their was no value?  I said that our guys playing well against TCF of Edmonton does not mean anything.   If they put up big stats against starters then I would get excited. 

"Means nothing"

Why do they do it then?

Sure you don't judge the guys who have already made the team, but it's pretty huge for everyone else on both sides.  And those guys are in the same spot.  A guy like Streveler is in the running for best QB this week in all the pre-season games.  That means something, because all those guys are playing the "scrubs."

8 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

They are backups too.

I know. Im not Brandon here. He was the best of the backups. Plus this was his first reps as a PRO. This guy is 100 percent a pure rookie.. As rookie to the CFL as it gets and did not look like it at all from the sound of things. At 1 point BLM lit up a bunch of backups also. 

TCF? Its just a fan word. I dont believe its a real thing. All these guys were brought in to compete. 

I worded it wrong tho.. It doesn't prove hes the next big thing but it does prove he can compete in the CFL. 

Guy sounds legit. 

Edited by Goalie

"Means nothing"

Why do they do it then?

Sure you don't judge the guys who have already made the team, but it's pretty huge for everyone else on both sides.  And those guys are in the same spot.  A guy like Streveler is in the running for best QB this week in all the pre-season games.  That means something, because all those guys are playing the "scrubs."

You are completely missing the point.   

While it's nice that some guys lit it up....   do you honestly think Streveler goes 10/10 and Augustine gets all those big runs against Edmontons starters?   

With a name like JuranBoldenRules I would of assumed you have watched pre season games in years past and may have seen many QB's , RB,  WR with gaudy pre season stats to only end up getting cut or fizzling out.   

If you honestly think that Augustine or Streveler are world class bona fide CFL starters right now then you have the strongest blue tinted glasses ever.  

It's nice that these guys had a good game against Edmonton's back ups back ups back ups but it means jack squat until they can perform against real CFL players. 

I have no idea why you say that Training camp doesn't matter or bringing this up at all,   of course training camp matters only someone completely clueless about football would even bring that topic up.     

1 minute ago, Brandon said:

While it's nice that some guys lit it up....   do you honestly think Streveler goes 10/10 and Augustine gets all those big runs against Edmontons starters?   

With a name like JuranBoldenRules I would of assumed you have watched pre season games in years past and may have seen many QB's , RB,  WR with gaudy pre season stats to only end up getting cut or fizzling out.   

If you honestly think that Augustine or Streveler are world class bona fide CFL starters right now then you have the strongest blue tinted glasses ever.  

It's nice that these guys had a good game against Edmonton's back ups back ups back ups but it means jack squat until they can perform against real CFL players. 

I have no idea why you say that Training camp doesn't matter or bringing this up at all,   of course training camp matters only someone completely clueless about football would even bring that topic up.     

Hes not there to compete against the starters tho. Maybe he would have done the same tho. Who knows. The guy went 10 for 10. 140 yards. Ran 4 times for 30 plus yards. He looked legit. Why not just leave it at that

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

You truly are missing the point, and just running sideways now.

4 minutes ago, Brandon said:

They did everything that was expected of them and more so why not be happy about it? Rookie qb in his first pro experience goes 10/10 passing, that's a pretty special night regardless of the competition. Yeah it might not mean a lot in the long term but tonight it's impressive. No other qb looked that good tonight. 

1 minute ago, 17to85 said:

They did everything that was expected of them and more so why not be happy about it? Rookie qb in his first pro experience goes 10/10 passing, that's a pretty special night regardless of the competition. Yeah it might not mean a lot in the long term but tonight it's impressive. No other qb looked that good tonight. 

No other rookie QB will look that good in this preseason.

Book it.

Looks looks like I was dead wrong about Streveler, made tons of good decisions tonight but the real test might be next week when he faces a real d line. Lots of reps I saw in practice under pressure he got happy feet.

Augustine has looked good in camp and was great tonight (I thought he was jhurrell Pressley as my eyes are terrible).

Edited by Gotmilt

Augustine ran the ball well and looked good. Offense looked terrible to start and then seemed to settle in. Nichols looked good overall (didn't like the pick) and he and Bowman showed some nice chemistry. Bowman is going to be a great addition. Darvin made a couple of nice catches. Demski looked good. White's TD was the play of the game, just a sick play and I'll throw in a you need to get this kid on the roster. Simonise had a nice reception where he really had to sky to nab it while taking a hit. Harris is Harris. Streveler looked impressive. Ross looked awful, could not complete a pass with many poor throws. On defense, the DL played well. Nevis, Poop, Oka, Thomas, Roh, Corney.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Augustine ran the ball well and looked good. Offense looked terrible to start and then seemed to settle in. Nichols looked good overall (didn't like the pick) and he and Bowman showed some nice chemistry. Bowman is going to be a great addition. Darvin made a couple of nice catches. Demski looked good. White's TD was the play of the game, just a sick play and I'll throw in a you need to get this kid on the roster. Simonise had a nice reception where he really had to sky to nab it while taking a hit. Harris is Harris. Streveler looked impressive. Ross looked awful, could not complete a pass with many poor throws. On defense, the DL played well. Nevis, Poop, Oka, Thomas, Roh, Corney.

agree with all of this, White is just so smooth. Everything he does seems effortless. Simonise is just a freak athlete and has incredible hands.