Kane signing 49 million deal...

bb1

this is a joke right? i expected it to show up on my facebook feed, but then I remembered that I'm unfollowing some stuff until after the playoffs

but then I have to remind myself that his performance was astonishing in the playoffs

Edited by iHeart

I do think SJ is a good spot for him but really... best case scenario you're looking at a 30-goal, 60-point guy.  Absolute best case.  He has hit 30 goals once and his best two seasons points-wise were 54 and 57.

He gets injured lots.  He has attitude problems.  He doesn't play centre at all.  He is streaky.  He's not a smart player.  He's ineffective on the PP.

How he is worth 7x7 I'm not sure.  At a certain point you could bank on his potential but at 27 years old... he is what he is.  This contract looks bad now and in 3 years it will look dreadful.  He's not the kind of guy who will be able to play well into his 30s based on hockey IQ because he relies on his speed and strength to be effective.

Good luck San Jose.

That's a terrible deal today and only gets worse going forward. 

Seattle will have a tough decision when he's left unprotected in the expansion draft. Maybe the Sharks will be able to pay them to take him? 

I wonder what Laine is worth NOW? 

6 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Yeah he hit 30 goals once and then Noel pushed him to the back of the offensive bus.

Makes the current Ehlers contract good and sets the bar high for the next KConnor deal. Welp.

Apples to oranges. Ehlers and Connor are RFAs.   Kane is UFA.

San Jose over paid...  Kane was not going to get this kind of offer on the open market IMO.      They are paying him with expectations that he continues the level of play he had with the brief time at the end of the season with them.  

The guy is prone to injuries,  is a locker room cancer and is very streaky.  I'm not sure if the streaky part is from laziness or if he is not consistent.    Last year he started off hot and then had 4 goals in his last 30 games with Buffalo before he was traded.   

All the stars have to align with him staying out of trouble,  staying healthy,   playing at his peak level for this deal to work out.    

100k/point is normal. He doesn't have a good two-way game or specialty team skillset.

He maxes out at 60 points. Maybe once he hits 70 points.

Overpaid based on potential AGAIN. Hes been in the league for almost 10 years. He is what he is. Definitely a bad contract 

UFA tho in prime. 60 points is pretty decent. Overpaid but Kanes good when he's on but hes also at the point where he is what he is. Good deal for maybe 2 3 years.. Last 4 will suck. The only 3 teams he can be traded to list is brutal tho. Possible Seattle expansion player. 

Edited by Goalie

Aside from the fact that Kane will simply stop trying now that he has his contract... I don't understand this one at all

Meier will be their best LW very soon

Couture and Pavelski need to be re-signed or they have zero centre depth - now you basically have to pay Couture $8 million

$22 million in cap space tied up in Burns, Vlasic and Kane... for seven years...

7 hours ago, Goalie said:

Intereating breakdown of Salary. 12 million in signing bonuses throughout the deal.. Gets paid roughly 6 million a year but theres a 3 million, guess they expect a lockout. 

Of course there'll be a lockout. Do you think Bettman & Fehr care about the fans? What will that be? Lockout #3, 4?? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-05-25 at 11:44 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

The players are sheep. Whatever Fehr tells them to do, they know nothing about labour relations. Most of them barely have their grade 12. . 

Well count me in as one of those sheep...cause the bucks they are making, Fehr must be doing something right. Sucks for us fans but when does professional sports care about their fans? Its all about the money.