Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

Yeah having a guy go both ways serves no purpose. Doesnt help a team at all and if Duron gets hurt in a game..then  a db does too..then what? 

Also he isn't any better than any average db..but the hype they give him is sickening.

They say he stepped up and got physical is funny if u actually watched it. 3 plays previous he missed trying to make tackle same way and the one time he actually made contact the ball carrier actually trucked him and ear holed him good..and taken down in the wash of we everyone else there.. not due to Duron 

Also not sure why they didn't highlight on the Edmonton where they ran at him and he got boxed out with ease and rb ran in easily..why not showcase that?

Lots of guys in league could go both ways but dont..why..because smart teams dont waste a talent by doing that 

Edited by Booch

7 minutes ago, Booch said:

Yeah having a guy go both ways serves no purpose. Doesnt help a team at all and if Duron gets hurt in a game..then  a db does too..then what? 

Also he isn't any better than any average db..but the hype they give him is sickening.

They say he stepped up and got physical is funny if u actually watched it. 3 plays previous he missed trying to make tackle same way and the one time he actually made contact the ball carrier actually trucked him and ear holed him good..and taken down in the wash of we everyone else there.. not due to Duron 

Also not sure why they didn't highlight on the Edmonton where they ran at him and he got boxed out with ease and rb ran in easily..why not showcase that?

Lots of guys in league could go both ways but dont..why..because smart teams dont waste a talent by doing that 

Diving headfirst and turning into ball carriers is a good way to get a concussion, shoulder or back injury too.  If they value him as a receiver it makes no sense to have him playing on the boundary where he's going to have to make a lot of open field tackles which he clearly has no technique to do.

And that team was 1 defended pass away from going to the Grep Cup. Unreal. How they went 10-8 is a miracle. They played wayyyyy above their heads + talent level. Here's hoping they come crashing back to earth this year. Starting guys like Hurl is a step in the right direction!

Other than not having Huhges..Jefferson and Evan's they played at some point all their prospective starters...

They dont have much depth to speak of defensively. And their online is going to be a weak spot..even Bond looked look less than what he was here.

Edmonton had 2nd and 3rd stringers who looked impressive but didn't notice much on Sask side of it..not sure who their backup guys are going to be but they are thin

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Regarding the qb depth of the RedBlacks behind Harris. The same could be said for the Bombers. It's alarming to think who may take the reigns if Nichols goes down. However, I'm not pointing fingers at Walters as he was blindsided by Durant 2 weeks ago. The situation we're in because of Durant wasn't our GM's fault. It certainly tells you about the character of DD, doesn't it? However, that being said... we all have to be concerned what would happen if Nichols suffered a serious injury. We're no better off than Ottawa. 

I don't really worry about this kind of thing for 2 reasons... 1) even if we had Durant, I still think we'd be SOL if Nichols missed significant time... If Nichols only had to miss a game or two, then yes, I'd prefer a proven vet to a raw rookie... and 2) every team is more or less in the same territory unless they happen to have a diamond in the rough at #2...

I'm not too worried about it either....Why fret over something that hasn't happened...or maybe never will...deal with it when it comes. And really, if Ross has to step in it's not like he has never faced live bullets before, so he would have a bit of an understanding as what he is looking at scheme wise..and if he or whomever just plays within the system, doesn't try to do too much I think our offensive diversity we are going to have this year will serve the back-up well and all they have to do is what detractors of Nichols around the league claimed...and just be a game manager...dink and dunk and use the run until something opens up

Plus I think this year with our defense we are not gonna have to consistently score 20+ points to win a game, and I am going to go out on a limb here and I bet we are in the top 2 teams in points allowed this year

23 minutes ago, Booch said:

I'm not too worried about it either....Why fret over something that hasn't happened...or maybe never will...deal with it when it comes. And really, if Ross has to step in it's not like he has never faced live bullets before, so he would have a bit of an understanding as what he is looking at scheme wise..and if he or whomever just plays within the system, doesn't try to do too much I think our offensive diversity we are going to have this year will serve the back-up well and all they have to do is what detractors of Nichols around the league claimed...and just be a game manager...dink and dunk and use the run until something opens up

Plus I think this year with our defense we are not gonna have to consistently score 20+ points to win a game, and I am going to go out on a limb here and I bet we are in the top 2 teams in points allowed this year

Richie+Hall+BC+Lions+v+Saskatchewan+Roug

We were right in the middle last year..4 teams gave up less...4 teams gave up more

I thinks we have improved enough to move up at least 2 spots, and we have improved more than Ottawa who was ahead of us, and I think SASK too...Cgy has regressed and T.O prob is about the same...so yup...I think we will be in the top 2..top 3 at worst

The addition of Bighill and our ability to play our Safety as they should be played can't be overstated enough...and I think we grabbed the best defensive free agent available in Fenner (as Bighill wasn't available) so technically we grabbed the 2 best available. 

Riders (Jones) getting way too cute with this DC thing.   As others have noted, Rider depth in some areas, may be questionable.   Not sold on that OL, and they will need to keep Hurl off the field, as far as starting.   If ZC does not bounce back....could be some heavy sledding there....

1 minute ago, do or die said:

Riders (Jones) getting way too cute with this DC thing.   As others have noted, Rider depth in some areas, may be questionable.   Not sold on that OL, and they will need to keep Hurl off the field, as far as starting.   If ZC does not bounce back....could be some heavy sledding there....

It was shocking to me that they wouldn't play Collaros last night.  That's what you do with a long-time veteran... not your shiny new acquisition who has struggled for a year or more.  Even if it's just one or two series... get him in there.  He needs reps.

29 minutes ago, Booch said:

We were right in the middle last year..4 teams gave up less...4 teams gave up more

I thinks we have improved enough to move up at least 2 spots, and we have improved more than Ottawa who was ahead of us, and I think SASK too...Cgy has regressed and T.O prob is about the same...so yup...I think we will be in the top 2..top 3 at worst

The addition of Bighill and our ability to play our Safety as they should be played can't be overstated enough...and I think we grabbed the best defensive free agent available in Fenner (as Bighill wasn't available) so technically we grabbed the 2 best available. 

If Fenner plays SAM, I'm a fan... but I wouldn't put him in the top two FAs...

I generally agree though - Bighill is that all-star MLB that Richie Hall needs...  should be a huge difference this year

If Leggett is ready to play Boundary HB, we're in fantastic shape...  I also hope we haven't given up on Walker/Alexander - I think they suffered because of Hurl as well...

22 minutes ago, Floyd said:

If Fenner plays SAM, I'm a fan... but I wouldn't put him in the top two FAs...

I generally agree though - Bighill is that all-star MLB that Richie Hall needs...  should be a huge difference this year

If Leggett is ready to play Boundary HB, we're in fantastic shape...  I also hope we haven't given up on Walker/Alexander - I think they suffered because of Hurl as well...

Who was a better option on the defensive side of the ball that offered the versatility of Fenner as well as the ST's component?

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Now a few of their "big foreheads" are suggesting the Bombers will scoop him up. 😂

I think Kavis...not us will be all over this one...after all Williams  is..was the saviour everyone wanted.. That`s what fans in Sask. are saying...EXCEPT apparently now they have rejected their second coming...or is it their third...fourth....maybe fifth...

Edited by Stickem