Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

3 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Things to agree on, or not, on Sunday:

👁‍🗨Mark Chapman, 1st round CFL draft pick, has not signed with the Ticats. Interesting decision to miss his first pro camp with Hamilton...

Considering what the Ticats are offering him, it's no wonder he hasn't signed.

From Justin Dunk:

The second overall pick, Montreal Alouettes offensive lineman Trey Rutherford, inked a three-year pact worth a total of approximately $285,000 in “hard money” – essentially what a player can earn without hitting performance or playtime bonuses. That’s in line with what Winnipeg Blue Bombers defensive lineman Faith Ekakitie, last year’s top selection, garnered on his deal: around $290,000 in hard money for three seasons.

Multiple sources say Chapman wants a deal in line with what Rutherford and Ekakitie received while Hamilton is trying to get a below-market contract.

And if you're wondering who his agent is:

Chapman is represented by agent Fred Weinrauch, who also counts Masoli as a client.

http://www.3downnation.com/2018/05/24/ticats-and-no-1-pick-mark-chapman-far-apart-in-contract-negotiations/

Edited by Jacquie

Have to wonder if the CFL will be looking for a defined salary structure for draft picks similar to what other sporting leagues have.  

These picks sitting out doesn’t help the team or the player. 

16 minutes ago, Zontar said:

"Pfft. I'll sit out camp. That'll showcase my abilities for sure. They're gonna be sorry"

The last I heard, the TiCats were trying to low ball Chapman by offering less than what the #2 and #3 picks got

5 hours ago, M.O.A.B. said:

I guess the Riders are starting 3 INT in the OL - LT Vaughn, RG Bond and RT Coleman

7 NAT starters will be - LG LaBatte, C Clark, RB Messam, WR Baggs, DT Evans, LB Hurl and S Brouillette
This really shows you how well bad they drafted since Cheat Jones became their GM

Rider fans loved Hurl the first time. They're really going to love him now after Muamba. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

4 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

Things to agree on, or not, on Sunday:

👁‍🗨Mark Chapman, 1st round CFL draft pick, has not signed with the Ticats. Interesting decision to miss his first pro camp with Hamilton...

👁‍🗨Former NFL QB Josh Freeman is indeed that, having been both fired and retired. Another oopsie at recruiting for Montreal..

👁‍🗨 Nice to see and hear Chandler Fenner’s “kid-walks-into-a-candy-store-for-the first-time” attitude and excitement.. I liked the signing then, I like it even more now.  Adding to this D’s versatility..

Don Landry reports on that infamous CFL Media poll: “Every team got at least one vote except for the Ottawa REDBLACKS”

CFL News - In the first pre-season game of 2018, neither Brandon Bridge nor newcomer Zach Collaros are currently in the plans at quarterback for Chris Jones and the Roughriders

👁‍🗨Why isn’t more being said about the questionable depth of the Ottawa RedBlacks QB stable?

William Arndt, Danny Collins, Dominique Davis and Trevor Harris.

And finally, CFL game day with Saskatchewan visiting the Eskimos.

CFL football is back!!

Regarding the qb depth of the RedBlacks behind Harris. The same could be said for the Bombers. It's alarming to think who may take the reigns if Nichols goes down. However, I'm not pointing fingers at Walters as he was blindsided by Durant 2 weeks ago. The situation we're in because of Durant wasn't our GM's fault. It certainly tells you about the character of DD, doesn't it? However, that being said... we all have to be concerned what would happen if Nichols suffered a serious injury. We're no better off than Ottawa. 

1 hour ago, Rich said:

Have to wonder if the CFL will be looking for a defined salary structure for draft picks similar to what other sporting leagues have.  

These picks sitting out doesn’t help the team or the player. 

The issue with that is that the CFL has to compete with the NFL and real-life for players.  Think of Geoff Gray.  Say the cap the Bombers could sign him for was $80k per year or something on his rookie contract.  Maybe he'd come north for $150k and give up the NFL PR dream.  Guy is also an engineer and maybe would choose to start on his career rather than being forced to sign a 2 year contract for $80k per year.  So there's the downside.  It's a little different with MLB, NHL and NFL when you're talking millions of dollars and they are the top leagues in the sport.

36 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Regarding the qb depth of the RedBlacks behind Harris. The same could be said for the Bombers. It's alarming to think who may take the reigns if Nichols goes down. However, I'm not pointing fingers at Walters as he was blindsided by Durant 2 weeks ago. The situation we're in because of Durant wasn't our GM's fault. It certainly tells you about the character of DD, doesn't it? However, that being said... we all have to be concerned what would happen if Nichols suffered a serious injury. We're no better off than Ottawa. 

How about Calgary and BC?

17 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Lulay tore his ACL in September.  He won't be playing in the first half of the season.

Standard ACL recovery is 6-8 months.  They expect Lulay to be ready within the first couple weeks of the season.