Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

4 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Their OL is awful though.  Reilly is mobile and tough as nails, but even with him it is starting to show. 

I thought it was a factor in the last half of the season. Reilly is aging as are all of us, but next year is likely to be a further decline in Reilly's play. Maybe a change in scenery will bring back the promise Jennings showed in his first starts.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Alex Ross is the last pick of the AAF QB draft. 

San Diego Fleet: Philip Nelson

coaches and other info https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-qb-draft-aaron-murray-christian-hackenberg-highlight-qbs-taken/

And in case you're wondering, here are the head coaches for each team:

Atlanta Legends: Brad Childress (Michael Vick is the offensive coordinator)

Arizona Hotshots: Rick Neuheisel

Birmingham Iron: Tim Lewis

Memphis Express: Mike Singletary

Orlando Apollos: Steve Spurrier

Salt Lake Stallions: Dennis Erickson

San Antonio Commanders: Mike Riley 

San Diego Fleet: Mike Martz 

Edited by Mark F

The CFL needs to think about these new leagues in their new CBA but I'm not too worried about it.  It probably won't have a massive impact on the CFL's opportunity to sign players out of college.  The fact is that any college player worth anything is going to wait until after the NFL draft and the undrafted free-agent signings before going to an alternative league.  Then at that point they will be faced with signing in the CFL and making money pretty much right away or wait 8 months for a chance to collect an AAF paycheck.  The AAF will be more of a league for NFL cuts and the CFL will still be finding those young players who didn't get drafted.  The Zyltra/Streveler type guys will still come up here.  It will be harder to sign late NFL cuts though during the CFL season.

32 minutes ago, Mark F said:

San Diego Fleet: Philip Nelson

coaches and other info https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/alliance-of-american-football-qb-draft-aaron-murray-christian-hackenberg-highlight-qbs-taken/

And in case you're wondering, here are the head coaches for each team:

Atlanta Legends: Brad Childress (Michael Vick is the offensive coordinator)

Arizona Hotshots: Rick Neuheisel

Birmingham Iron: Tim Lewis

Memphis Express: Mike Singletary

Orlando Apollos: Steve Spurrier

Salt Lake Stallions: Dennis Erickson

San Antonio Commanders: Mike Riley 

San Diego Fleet: Mike Martz 

That’s a lot of washed up NFL coaches. 

19 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

The CFL needs to think about these new leagues in their new CBA but I'm not too worried about it.  It probably won't have a massive impact on the CFL's opportunity to sign players out of college.  The fact is that any college player worth anything is going to wait until after the NFL draft and the undrafted free-agent signings before going to an alternative league.  Then at that point they will be faced with signing in the CFL and making money pretty much right away or wait 8 months for a chance to collect an AAF paycheck.  The AAF will be more of a league for NFL cuts and the CFL will still be finding those young players who didn't get drafted.  The Zyltra/Streveler type guys will still come up here.  It will be harder to sign late NFL cuts though during the CFL season.

I don't see it that way... 

If I'm a college player and I think I can play in the NFL but doubt I'll get drafted, why wouldn't I go to the AAF this winter? I get to play, prove myself and my contract has an NFL out clause. I make USD and get to stay at home. 

Can't see a reason why I wouldn't?

1 minute ago, JCon said:

I don't see it that way... 

If I'm a college player and I think I can play in the NFL but doubt I'll get drafted, why wouldn't I go to the AAF this winter? I get to play, prove myself and my contract has an NFL out clause. I make USD and get to stay at home. 

Can't see a reason why I wouldn't?

Traditionally they all wait to see if they get drafted. Players are 100% focused on the NFL until such a time as that door is closed. They would risk getting hurt in the AAF and missing their shot.

2 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Traditionally they all wait to see if they get drafted. Players are 100% focused on the NFL until such a time as that door is closed. They would risk getting hurt in the AAF and missing their shot.

I don't see it. If you're not projected to get drafted, why would you take a chance to become an unsigned FA?

Lots of NFL wannabes come to the CFL first. Why wouldn't they just stick it out, make more and get better exposure? 

Just now, JCon said:

I don't see it. If you're not projected to get drafted, why would you take a chance to become an unsigned FA?

Lots of NFL wannabes come to the CFL first. Why wouldn't they just stick it out, make more and get better exposure? 

They come to the CFL but typically don't sign until after the undrafted free agent period.  Like Streveler, for example, waited that out before signing.   Even Canadians who get drafted into the CFL typically exhaust nfl tryouts first.  You're scraping the bottom of the barrel to sign an NCAA player who doesn't think they have any shot at an NFL contract.

1 minute ago, Colin Unger said:

They come to the CFL but typically don't sign until after the undrafted free agent period.  Like Streveler, for example, waited that out before signing.   Even Canadians who get drafted into the CFL typically exhaust nfl tryouts first.  You're scraping the bottom of the barrel to sign an NCAA player who doesn't think they have any shot at an NFL contract.

That doesn't make any sense. If I'm a borderline player, I can go, get paid and get a better chance at the NFL by signing with the AAF. 

1 hour ago, JCon said:

That doesn't make any sense. If I'm a borderline player, I can go, get paid and get a better chance at the NFL by signing with the AAF. 

I'm not saying no players will sign there straight out of college...  But the guys who are willing to sign early are not of the same quality.  For example, Streveler, Sayles, and Bryant all signed with the Bombers in May.   The list of newcomers signing January/Feb is a list of guys who didn't make the team.

11 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

I don’t think the AAF is going to be much of a threat in the first two rounds of their QB draft 3 were drafted that could not make the Riders.

yeah if they couldn't make that roster...obviously the talent level they are looking at is a middling group