Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, USABomberfan said:

Ridiculous, especially considering way more people here have wanted O'Shea fired and have been way more vocal about it than me.  Ridiculous post is ridiculous.

You know, saying "ridiculous" isn't really a rebuttal.  I'd challenge you to go through your posts and see how often you are demanding this guy be fired or that guy be fired or this guy be forced to sell his team or that guy should be dragged into the public square and stoned.  Well, ok, maybe not that last one (yet) but it's really your go-to post.  If you made your signature something like "FOR GODS SAKE, FIRE SOMEBODY!"  in big bold angry capitals, you could just do a blank post in whatever thread has attracted your ire, save yourself a whole whack of typing and accomplish pretty much everything you intend.

3 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

You know, saying "ridiculous" isn't really a rebuttal.  I'd challenge you to go through your posts and see how often you are demanding this guy be fired or that guy be fired or this guy be forced to sell his team or that guy should be dragged into the public square and stoned.  Well, ok, maybe not that last one (yet) but it's really your go-to post.  If you made your signature something like "FOR GODS SAKE, FIRE SOMEBODY!"  in big bold angry capitals, you could just do a blank post in whatever thread has attracted your ire, save yourself a whole whack of typing and accomplish pretty much everything you intend.

yeah.... I hear you.... Sunday can't come soon enough.

15 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Idgaf, your posts are all ridiculous and contribute nothing of substance to the forum.  Try doing that for once.

34 minutes ago, JCon said:

I had a legit question.

He had Calvillo his entire tenure in Montreal and had Ray last year and part of this year. I'm not sure he can be praised or criticized for not developing a QB. 

Trestman inherited a 36 year old qb in Mtl and had nobody ready for when he inevitably hung them up. That's a failure to develop a qb.  

3 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

When has Buono or Hufnagel?

Buono has developed plenty. Hufnagel has developed one for sure: the current starting QB of the Stampeders.

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

Trestman inherited a 36 year old qb in Mtl and had nobody ready for when he inevitably hung them up. That's a failure to develop a qb.  

Sure, a failure on management (i.e., Jim Popp) for not bothering to addressing the future. It's basically deja vu in Toronto, only this time Trestman was thrown under the bus.

In other league news: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/06/maritime-football-ltd-calls-wednesday-presser-make-announcement/

HALIFAX – Maritime Football Limited, the group that is looking to bring a CFL team to Halifax, has called a Wednesday afternoon press conference to make an announcement on the campus of Saint Mary’s University.

Maritime Football’s Anthony LeBlanc and Bruce Bowser are scheduled to make the announcement with Canadian Football League commissioner Randy Ambrosie in attendance.

The announcement comes a week after the prospective ownership group put forth a proposal to build a stadium, eyeing Shannon Park as the location of the stadium on the eastern shore of Halifax Harbour.

4 hours ago, JCon said:

I had a legit question.

He had Calvillo his entire tenure in Montreal and had Ray last year and part of this year. I'm not sure he can be praised or criticized for not developing a QB. 

When you have an ancient QB, you better be working on the next guy.  You should always be working on the next guy because #1 is one hit away from being gone, as Trestman experienced this season.

That's my point with Buono and Hufnagel.  When have they not had a guy ready to play on the sideline?  Tate falters as a starter and BLM steps in as one of the greatest winning QB's in league history.  Trestman isn't in that tier of coach IMO.

46 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Buono has developed plenty. Hufnagel has developed one for sure: the current starting QB of the Stampeders.

Sure, a failure on management (i.e., Jim Popp) for not bothering to addressing the future. It's basically deja vu in Toronto, only this time Trestman was thrown under the bus.

In other league news: https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/06/maritime-football-ltd-calls-wednesday-presser-make-announcement/

How did Popp not address the future?  He dealt for one of the top QB prospects in the league in the off-season.  Trestman snowed that QB and the team.  Ended up playing MBT for half a season FFS.  How would he not get fired?

34 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

How did Popp not address the future?  He dealt for one of the top QB prospects in the league in the off-season.  Trestman snowed that QB and the team.  Ended up playing MBT for half a season FFS.  How would he not get fired?

Franklin does have 2000 passing yards this year - can't say he wasn't given opportunities. 

2 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

When you have an ancient QB, you better be working on the next guy.  You should always be working on the next guy because #1 is one hit away from being gone, as Trestman experienced this season.

That's my point with Buono and Hufnagel.  When have they not had a guy ready to play on the sideline?  Tate falters as a starter and BLM steps in as one of the greatest winning QB's in league history.  Trestman isn't in that tier of coach IMO.

That egregious failure had to be more on Popp than Trestman. You cannot make chicken soup out of chicken feathers.

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Buono has had Jennings who has regressed greatly and Hufnagel has fatty Arbuckle.  Both coaches haven't developed any QBs in the last five years. 

48 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Buono has had Jennings who has regressed greatly and Hufnagel has fatty Arbuckle.  Both coaches haven't developed any QBs in the last five years. 

Arbuckle hasn't played badly. He throws a nice ball. He's a much better qb than Andrew Buckleywas. He has an upside but needs playing time.

From 3downnation:

Alouettes talking to potential general managers in case they fire Kavis Reed

Posted on November 6, 2018 by Justin Dunk // 0 Comments

Montreal Alouettes president Patrick Boivin refused to discuss the status of anyone in the Als football operations department but that hasn’t kept the organization from having conversations with potential general managers.

Sources say the Alouettes have spoken to multiple people regarding the GM position while Kavis Reed continues to work in the role – orchestrating two trades at the deadline while re-signing quarterbacks Antonio Pipkin, Vernon Adams and Jeff Mathews recently – and Boivin remains mum on his future

12 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Popp gambled on Franklin, who stunk more often than not. He was given ample opportunity and couldn't hold on to the starter's job. Trestman didn't snow anyone and let's be honest here: Ray was the incumbent and he would've played the entire season had he not been injured. It was time for Franklin to show up and he simply didn't. How is that on anyone but Franklin?

I still think Trestman was fired to cover up Popp's mistakes. Not that it matters.

48 minutes ago, blue_gold_84 said:

Popp gambled on Franklin, who stunk more often than not. He was given ample opportunity and couldn't hold on to the starter's job. Trestman didn't snow anyone and let's be honest here: Ray was the incumbent and he would've played the entire season had he not been injured. It was time for Franklin to show up and he simply didn't. How is that on anyone but Franklin?

I still think Trestman was fired to cover up Popp's mistakes. Not that it matters.

I remember Bomber fans not too far back wanting Franklin.

11 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

I remember Bomber fans not too far back wanting Franklin.

I remember every fan base in the league wanting Frank the Tank as their next QB. Fans and analysts in every city were comparing Franklin's situation to Reilly's when he reached FA with the Lions. The biggest difference of course being Franklin's smaller sample size.

On 2018-11-04 at 5:24 PM, Colin Unger said:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/02/players-say-eighth-annual-tsn-poll/

Several bombers made the list this year.  Adam Bighill hardest hitter in the league and one of the toughest guys in the league.  Was very happy to see Suhk Chung was the highest ranking offensive lineman for the nastiest player in the league. Gotta get this guy re-signed.  Interesting read.

Apparently they've never watched a game with Rod Black calling it...

7. MOST UNDERRATED PLAYER

Luke Tasker, Wide Receiver, Hamilton Tiger-Cats (seven per cent)