Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

4 minutes ago, WinnipegGordo said:

Yeah, the CFL has been shown at least 3 times now on that show. I noticed that the first clip they used this season was the same one they used last season.

Funny, I have noticed the CFL in many shows but was just binge watching a bit today and noticed. 

of course it makes sense with the rights and all 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

yeah if you watch carefully a lot of times in TV and movies if there's a football game on in the background it'll be a CFL game. 

I noticed that on Ozark and on Modern Family. I believe (and don't quote me) that it is because it's cheaper or even free to put a CFL game on in the back ground and the NFL charges for it. I could be wrong though!

On 2018-10-17 at 10:37 AM, Clarky said:

Is it me or does it seem that Riders seem to dominate the headlines when it comes to arrests?

If that is in fact the case is this just coincidence or is there issues in the organization and the players they recruit?

First, Welcome to the site. Nice place to spend time. 

Second,  Like they all say, "Just a streak of bad luck!".  Cultured?

Just now, Bomber_fanaddict said:

Also in that Ozark Episode if you listen to the game playing they Say Manning is in at QB (or something like that). When it's clearly a CFL game lol.

Rogers back to pass, good protection ...

haha noticed that too 

CFL Game #79 Notes & Trends - Playoff Permutations:

The West - 6 games left - 64+ possibilities: The remaining three weeks feature something unusual in recent years - that ALL 6 games down the stretch have playoff implications of one kind or another. That creates a potential for 64 different permutations i.e. 64 combinations of game results. With the complications flowing out of BC and Saskatchewan's yet-to-be-resolved season series (1-0 SSK but has the potential to depend on the final score in their remaining game vs BC to decide it) that complexity produces 16 different potential Standings orders.

The East - 2 playoff teams: In the East there will be just two playoff teams and the Cross-Over will occur for CFL a record 3rd consecutive year. The Cross-Over Rule has been in place since 1996 and thus it will be invoked for the 12th time in 23 years. Hamilton and Ottawa will engage in a two-game set to determine 1st and 2nd place - 4 games have implications in this run.

BC in a with a win: The Lions can clinch a playoff spot with a win over Edmonton based on their eventual record among common tied opponents in any potential scenario even if they lose their final two games. They would be at least 9-9 and Edmonton no better than 9-9 with a season series edge on the Eskimos.

Western Series: Only TWO relevant season series' have been decided in the West to Week #18. Winnipeg holds the edge over BC on points (1-1, 58-39), Saskatchewan defeated Winnipeg 2 games to 1 (the Calgary vs Edmonton/BC/Winnipeg series' do not matter as they cannot be tied in any scenario). Up in the air still ...

BC-SSK (0-1) BC-EDM (1-1) WPG-EDM (1-1) CGY-SSK (1-1) Tied: EDM-SSK (1-1, 38 pts each, will depend on other criteria)

Calgary: Needs only a tie with Saskatchewan to earn 1st place for the 3rd straight season and for the 4th time in the last 5 years. The Stamps have gained a post-season berth for the 14th year in a row, the longest active streak and 6th-longest in league history.

Cross-Over #12: This will be the third straight year and 12th time overall that Cross-Over will send a Western Team to the East Semi-Final. That has affected Eastern clubs as follows - Toronto 2 ('08, '14), Ottawa 2 ('03, '05), Hamilton 2 ('02, '17), and Montreal 1 ('16). The other years replaced Winnipeg when they were an East Division team ('97, '09, '12).

8 minutes ago, Booch said:

all clubs know of it....been around forever....It's more Shepley calling the shots and not wanting to get tied to them right now just yet...Most likely as well it's because he doesn't wanna really be there and will bolt as soon as he is able to after first contract

Being on a PR spot offers little money. Shepley has the opportunity to do more in the states right now. So to say he doesnt want to be in Saskatchewan is ridiculous. If he didn't want to be there he could sign in the new AAFL league. 

15 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Being on a PR spot offers little money. Shepley has the opportunity to do more in the states right now. So to say he doesnt want to be in Saskatchewan is ridiculous. If he didn't want to be there he could sign in the new AAFL league. 

It’s always good to have a fall back plan,

..and that’s about as far as you can fall back.

7 hours ago, TheBandit said:

No **** sherlock...he doesn't have an opportunity in states.. is hoping for maybe one. And he is tied to Ruders for 2 years initially.. Doesnt mean he wants to stay there.. we will see when his 1st contract expires where he goes.. I bet he bolts.

That being said.. he may amount to nothing much as well..just dont know. For all the tire pumping he didnt last long down there.. nor get nabbed by anyone else like other oline prospects who went to NFL originally but ended back up here

8 hours ago, Booch said:

No **** sherlock...he doesn't have an opportunity in states.. is hoping for maybe one. And he is tied to Ruders for 2 years initially.. Doesnt mean he wants to stay there.. we will see when his 1st contract expires where he goes.. I bet he bolts.

That being said.. he may amount to nothing much as well..just dont know. For all the tire pumping he didnt last long down there.. nor get nabbed by anyone else like other oline prospects who went to NFL originally but ended back up here

Could literally say the exact same thing about Mr. Grey who just signed with your team.

29 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Could literally say the exact same thing about Mr. Grey who just signed with your team.

Except you can't literally say the exact same thing... Gray spent a full season training/practicing at the NFL level with 3 teams while Shepley didn't even make it to the final day of camp with one team.

Edited by bigg jay

39 minutes ago, TheBandit said:

Except he has signed a contract that puts him on the roster, not the PR, and will be here until 2019 at the minimum...he's also stated to the media that he wants to be here long term. How long is Shepley guaranteed to be a Rider with his current contract?

1 hour ago, TheBandit said:

Well for one...he signed a actual 3 year deal right out of the gate....and two...he lasted a year in the NFL and had some options this year which he decided to not chase, to get his career going here

Shepley didn't make it through a camp...nor get a PR spot offered anywhere....somewhat of a difference ...no?

2 hours ago, TheBandit said:

I don't know, you might be right- but this gives me hope.

“Winnipeg is a place where I grew up,” said Gray. “I just want to get to a football situation where I feel a bit more stable and comfortable and is something I can move forward with. I definitely appreciate my time in the NFL, but this is really, long-term, a place where I’d like to be. For me, personally, I’d like to be settled. I don’t like moving around a whole bunch, logistically it’s a pain. I don’t think I really thought about (moving around in the NFL) in the context of football. It was more, ‘How am I going to get my things? How am I going to get there? Do I have time to drive or do I have to fly? Do I want to drive 15 hours from Green Bay to New Jersey? Don’t recommend it. I like to be settled.

Edited by wanna-b-fanboy

On 2018-10-19 at 12:48 AM, Booch said:

Just as an aside - ending back up here is still a good deal. The money guys like Chungh and Goossen will be able to make is significant. Not to mention travel and connection building opportunities.