Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

4 minutes ago, AtlanticRiderFan said:

To not acknowledge the diversity of our country is also ignoring our past problems. So because we have a bad history of racism (this is quite an understatement), we're supposed to sweep it under the carpet and move on like it never happened? That's how historical revisionism happens.

Diversity of the CFL. The CFL is not speaking for the country. 

8 minutes ago, Noeller said:

I think the CFL is a great representation of the country and should represent the things that make our country great, such as diversity... 

Sure, but I don't think the CFL is wading into the some of historical inequities that our country has had. 

We can certainly see a lot of Canada in the CFL but I wouldn't heap all of the social issues onto the CFL. 

It's sport. Sport, along with the Arts, has a special way of reflecting the good and bad of our society. 

I get somewhat annoyed at this narrative that football is losing fans and losing the younger generations.  

The television ratings for the CFL were up this year.  About a month ago, 15 NFL games were the top 15 rated TV shows in the US since the beginning of September.  And both leagues have their best growth in the younger age groups.  

Sure, the negative perception of player safety has hit youth football enrollment.  But have you checked out what has happened in Manitoba with high school football?  There are now 5 conferences and 3 divisions in the WHSFL at the varsity level and two JV leagues (12 man and 9 man).  The football scene is expanding in rural Manitoba as well.  Then there is the girls and women's football leagues.  This is huge expansion from the 90's when the whole thing was stagnant.

In every one of these leagues and levels there is growing diversity.  This are not just a bunch of white English speaking boys.

1 hour ago, JCon said:

Diversity of the CFL. The CFL is not speaking for the country. 

True, but the message has to be collectively delivered by a number of organizations of different types, whether it has to do with sports, education, etc. It's not enough to make up a special day and have the prime minister make a speech or deliver apologies. It has to come from below as well.

Whatever counts

9 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

You also have the right to remain silent.  You may, however, lack the ability

Sure, I could. Chose not to.  My opinions are my own. I don't need your approval here to justify what I'm saying.  You're implying I'm some kind of racist because you don't agree with me or because I don't like DIS campaign.  I never attacked any group or individuals. I  had said the CFL used a sad situation in North Carolina to sell a bunch of tee shirts. That's how I see the DIS campaign.  I think it was disingenuous.

How can Randy Ambrosie claim the CFL is diverse yet somehow the NFL is not? The CFL isn't connecting with other ethnic groups in this country at all while claiming somehow it's diverse.  Like I said, I don't care what you or anyone else thinks.  I don't see the CFL going into any community trying to grow the game in their own cities let alone in other parts of the country. Yet, Ambrosie wants to grow the CFL in Mexico. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

9 hours ago, Sard said:

The difference there is that the NHL didn't start that.  It was a Punjabi fan who also happened to be an aspiring broadcaster who got that going.  I do think it's a good idea, but I don't think it's something that can be forced.  You need someone from the Punjabi (or any other) community to be passionate about the sport and want to give that a try.

The disadvantage the CFL has here is that field hockey is one of the most popular sports in India. I mean.. I moved to India it would be a lot easier for me to figure out field hockey than Cricket for example...  Football is very hard to understand if you didn't grow up with it.

When I coached football in Calgary back in the 90's to early 2000's, the Stamps used to give season tickets to every pee wee, bantam & high school team in the City. Coaches could give these tickets away anyway they liked. So, if a kid had a great game or a couple of players practiced hard all week they got these tickets to see a game. All the teams sat together so there were a lot of football players at every game. And these kids remembered that because for some it was the first time they ever attended a Stamps game. 

Then in & around 2005 the ownership changed hands & the new Stamps owners didn't want to give away these seats anymore. They wanted to sell them to make a profit. Well, that was back in the days when the Stamps averaged 33,000 at each & every game. Even after attendance fell back to the 23-25,000  mark last season, the team still refuses to go back to the days when they supported community & high school football by giving kids the chance to see a game. The Stamps could very easily give tickets away to different community groups in the City. Yet they don't & have no interest in doing so. They have no idea that they may hook some kids on the Stamps & the CFL. But the Stamps like the league itself is just too damned short sighted to see that. Blind actually. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Well, we already knew that Jones had no problem with felons being on his team. If verified, this would put the icing on a tenure which could only be described as bizarre.

From talking to some Rider fans that I know who live in Regina, they told me it's pretty common knowledge that Jones likes his alcohol & spends time in different watering holes in that City. 

23 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

From talking to some Rider fans that I know who live in Regina, they told me it's pretty common knowledge that Jones likes his alcohol & spends time in different watering holes in that City. 

Being a boozehound does not mean he is automatically a perp.

16 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

What does part of the sentence 'to the club' mean? 

It probably meant that the allegations were brought forward to the board. From the lack of action or announcements from the Rider board to date, it seems likely that they sat on them, possibly because it was mid-season and they didn't want to cause problems. Sadly, this seems to be the norm for organizations and athletic organizations are no exception. Regina is essentially a big small town and if there is truth to this, and the management suppressed these complaints, that would be criminal and the poop (not Johnson) will hit big time in the fan base and community. For all the insults we in this forum heap on the Riders and their fans, I cannot see that this will be simply swept under the rug.Heads will roll. This is way ugly for so many reasons.