Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

19 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was a reaction to what was going on at the States at the time. The murder in Charlotte & the riot as well as the NFL players kneeling. To me it was an Eff You to the NFL. And to Trump. It wasn't done for any other reason than that. I wouldn't put the CFL on a pedestal saying we're better than they are. The situation with Canadian qbs who are constantly discriminated against. There's still bias in the CFL.

Anyone who thinks we're better than the States is naïve. I'm just saying that we act so damned superior about racism in this country comparing our selves to the US when we aren't much better ourselves.  The Diversity Is Strength is a great attempt at self aggrandizement by the CFL.  Fine, it sold a lot of tee shirts. Congrats, Randy. Now fix the Canadian qb situation.

Image result for eyeroll gif

Quit digging and reaching for reasons to dump on something and whine about it. It's a great campaign and the consensus indicates as much.

Go have a read and spare us your bitching: https://www.cfl.ca/dis/

26 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was a reaction to what was going on at the States at the time. The murder in Charlotte & the riot as well as the NFL players kneeling. To me it was an Eff You to the NFL. And to Trump. It wasn't done for any other reason than that. I wouldn't put the CFL on a pedestal saying we're better than they are. The situation with Canadian qbs who are constantly discriminated against. There's still bias in the CFL. And I would argue that it wasn't the CFL that allowed guys like Bernie Custus to play qb up here. It was Canadian society. It allowed the open door policy of the CFL at the time.

As far as racism against blacks here in Canada it still exists. Just ask anyone who has grown up in Halifax with the history of said racism in Nova Scotia. And there is still systemic racism against aboriginal groups in Canada. It has existed since white settlers first settled in Upper Canada in the 17th Century. Anyone who thinks we're better than the States is naïve. I'm just saying that we act so damned superior about racism in this country comparing our selves to the US when we aren't much better ourselves.  The Diversity Is Strength is a great attempt at self aggrandizement by the CFL.  Fine, it sold a lot of tee shirts. Congrats, Randy. Now fix the Canadian qb situation.

It was planned well before the whole Trump thing they just bumped up the release of the shirts when it all went down.

Let's not forget, an area that the CFL knows that it struggles with in terms of marketing and ticket sales, is with first and second generation Canadians. Highlighting the diverse background of the CFL players is part of an overall marketing campaign to grow the brand.

But as @Jpan85 said, the timing was changed due to outside factors. 

Any negativity toward the DIS program stems completely from a cynicism that is at least SOMEWHAT a byproduct of not wanting new immigrants into Canada. I'm not going to straight up use the R word to describe anyone on this board, but Canada is better for our multiculturalism. It's part of what makes us a desirable nation to live and work in.

3 minutes ago, Noeller said:

Any negativity toward the DIS program stems completely from a cynicism that is at least SOMEWHAT a byproduct of not wanting new immigrants into Canada. I'm not going to straight up use the R word to describe anyone on this board, but Canada is better for our multiculturalism. It's part of what makes us a desirable nation to live and work in.

I think the Diversity thing is really awesome.  Connecting with the next generation is really important, as the average sports fan is aging, and there's fewer people coming up behind them to take their place.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-sports-with-the-oldest-and-youngest-tv-audiences-2017-06-30

3 hours ago, Noeller said:

No, you're wrong & with respect Noeller, I think that's trying to paint everyone with the same brush. Just because someone doesn't like something doesn't make anyone a racist. What I'm saying is the CFL is a White Man's League interspersed with black Canadian & American players. I'm not anti immigrant & far from it.  Immigration is a good thing.

There are very few minorities playing the game at the CFL level or below. I don't see the CFL trying to grow the game in those communities anywhere. Matter of fact, maybe the perception of minorities is that Canadian football isn't a  game for them. That they wouldn't be welcomed so they just don't play it. There may be some of that but I just think that minorities come from different countries & know nothing about Canadian football. thjat needs to change & quickly. So, then, what are we celebrating then? What is DIS about? To me, it's about some old white guys at CFL HO  patting themselves on the back saying, "Good Job??!!" Good job about what? 

The reality is talk is cheap. The CFL is in trouble.  Attendance is down. Participation at the community & high school level is falling. There won't be football in this country in 25-30 years if the CFL doesn't actually embrace different ethnic communities in this country & convincing them that football is a sport anyone can play. That no matter your size or skill level there is a position for everyone.  And getting minorities to embrace the game.  To rejuvenate it across the country. The CFL needs players of all races in order to survive. However, I don't see any of that. I think the CFL can do a lot more. Each team in every CFL city could do more to appeal to minorities.

That's why I don't think much of the Diversity Is Strength promotion.  The day we talk about different ethnic players actually playing in the CFL is the day the CFL can start truthfully saying it is a league of diversity. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

1 hour ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Maybe I should say Canadian football in general because if you look at community & high school teams it's mostly white. Minorities haven't embraced the game at the minor football level.  That's where it starts.  As in the future of the game. 

When you consider that visible minorities make up less than 20% of Canada's population, it's not a surprise that the majority of players are white. 

But why dont you go tell Chungh, Harris, Demski and all the other non-white Canadians, on our team alone, that they need to embrace the game more 🙄

Edited by bigg jay

1 minute ago, bigg jay said:

When you consider that visible minorities make up less than 20% of Canada's population, it's not a surprise that the majority of players are white. 

But why dont you go tell Chungh, Harris, Demski and all the other non-white Canadians, on our team alone, that they need to embrace the game more 🙄

They've embraced it as individuals but we know their communities haven't.  That will be the CFL's biggest challenge in the years to come. Look at Toronto. Probably the most diverse city in Canada & football is so far off the radar for so many new Canadians it's not even funny. First, second & third generation Canadians don't care about the game.  Yet, Toronto FC is flourishing as that is the game they brought to Canada with them.

14 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

They've embraced it as individuals but we know their communities haven't.  That will be the CFL's biggest challenge in the years to come. Look at Toronto. Probably the most diverse city in Canada & football is so far off the radar for so many new Canadians it's not even funny. First, second & third generation Canadians don't care about the game.  Yet, Toronto FC is flourishing as that is the game they brought to Canada with them.

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.  You really need to stop digging because you're embarrassing yourself.

19 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I think you've officially lost your marbles....

So, you think if things continue the way they are going & we don't grow the game in this country that football will continue to flourish? Or will it die off? I criticized the CFL for slapping itself on the back claiming it's diverse when I don't feel that it is. Black players play but they're mostly American. They'd play anywhere there's a league no matter what country. Is that diversity or opportunity? 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

5 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.  You really need to stop digging because you're embarrassing yourself.

Well, the thing of it is, it's just an opinion. I knew my position wouldn't be popular with a lot of you but instead of playing it safe, I criticized the CFL's  DIS  promo. I think the league still has a lot of work to do to live up to that claim. I just want to see the game last. Sometimes I wonder if it will. 

9 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Well, the thing of it is, it's just an opinion. I knew my position wouldn't be popular with a lot of you but instead of playing it safe, I criticized the CFL's  DIS  promo. I think the league still has a lot of work to do to live up to that claim. I just want to see the game last. Sometimes I wonder if it will. 

The game is facing pressure for a whole lot of reasons. One is that they seem to be losing youth in this country and they don't seem to be growing the audience to new immigrants. That's not to say that minorities are not playing, they just don't seem to be watching. 

The DIS campaign was to help reach out to those communities, highlighting how diverse the league is and has been. 

I don't understand your criticism that the CFL is not diverse, so it shouldn't be patting itself on the back? It is, in fact, diverse and is over represented by minorities. But, at the same time, is not growing the minority audience. An odd juxtaposition, for sure. But, it's an advertising campaign meant to advertise the league. 

3 minutes ago, JCon said:

The game is facing pressure for a whole lot of reasons. One is that they seem to be losing youth in this country and they don't seem to be growing the audience to new immigrants. That's not to say that minorities are not playing, they just don't seem to be watching. 

The DIS campaign was to help reach out to those communities, highlighting how diverse the league is and has been. 

I don't understand your criticism that the CFL is not diverse, so it shouldn't be patting itself on the back? It is, in fact, diverse and is over represented by minorities. But, at the same time, is not growing the minority audience. An odd juxtaposition, for sure. But, it's an advertising campaign meant to advertise the league. 

I guess I feel that this was all a Randy Ambrosie thing. To me, it felt contrived. In the end, it was like you said... advertisement for the league. Ambrosie during his time has done some good things. But some of the stuff he did hasn't been great either.  I get that most people liked the DIS campaign. I didn't. Which as a fan is my right. 

7 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The league should really start a Punjabi language broadcast like the nhl has done...  would probably be more effective than the diversity campaign was.  

The difference there is that the NHL didn't start that.  It was a Punjabi fan who also happened to be an aspiring broadcaster who got that going.  I do think it's a good idea, but I don't think it's something that can be forced.  You need someone from the Punjabi (or any other) community to be passionate about the sport and want to give that a try.

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You're criticisms dont make any damn sense though. The CFL needs to bring in a more diverse crowd....so they should not celebrate or talk about the diversity that already exists in league....?? Wtf

Also...nothing lasts forever...gtf over it. The world would be a lot better if people stopped refusing to change/adapt/evolve.

Edited by Bigblue204

10 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

I guess I feel that this was all a Randy Ambrosie thing. To me, it felt contrived. In the end, it was like you said... advertisement for the league. Ambrosie during his time has done some good things. But some of the stuff he did hasn't been great either.  I get that most people liked the DIS campaign. I didn't. Which as a fan is my right. 

It wasnt. And that's not how a commissioner works. 

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

You also have the right to remain silent.  You may, however, lack the ability