Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

Because a commissioner gets a presentation from a Mexican league and spends a couple of days looking into it, he has his head in the sand about poor crowds in Toronto?

So, he should spend his 60 hours a week on nothing but a problem that a mega-rich owner is responsible for?

I don't see how the two things are related at all.  It sounds to me like a fledgling league with deep pockets wants to give the CFL some money and all they have to do is hold trials in that country (maybe find a couple of decent players) add a roster spot to each team and one of the teams gives up a home game .  Oh, and there will be a Spanish broadcast of some games along the way.

I saw him at Grey Cup in Edmonton.  How he could he possibly drink beer in Edmonton when he should be pleading with passersby in downtown Montreal that they need to buy a ticket for a game in McGill Stadium that will take place just 7 months from now?

42 minutes ago, MC said:

Because a commissioner gets a presentation from a Mexican league and spends a couple of days looking into it, he has his head in the sand about poor crowds in Toronto?

So, he should spend his 60 hours a week on nothing but a problem that a mega-rich owner is responsible for?

I don't see how the two things are related at all.  It sounds to me like a fledgling league with deep pockets wants to give the CFL some money and all they have to do is hold trials in that country (maybe find a couple of decent players) add a roster spot to each team and one of the teams gives up a home game .  Oh, and there will be a Spanish broadcast of some games along the way.

I saw him at Grey Cup in Edmonton.  How he could he possibly drink beer in Edmonton when he should be pleading with passersby in downtown Montreal that they need to buy a ticket for a game in McGill Stadium that will take place just 7 months from now?

Of course he can do multiple things at once but what's he's currently doing is investing CFL resources and time into Mexico, which, as far as I know, is not a priority of the CFL. This league has real problems in key markets, labour relations, and the on field product. So far, crickets on the real issues facing the CFL...

Maybe he'll add another a Spanish speaking ref?! :35_thinking:

Edited by JCon

The concern for me is precedent.....it's a slippery slope once we start becoming less focused on Canada and OUR league. I didn't like it when we started focusing on America in the 90s and I don't like focusing on Mexico now. The idea of mandating a Mexican player on each roster makes my stomach turn. Not because I have anything against Mexico, but because I want this to remain OUR league, and the sole focus be about Canada and OUR game. I've long been a proponent of increasing mandatory Canadians when most would prefer to see more Americans. I personally watch CFL because of the CanCon...I want to see us put a greater focus on our country and our players. 

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Designated Mexican would probably put every Canadian/import kicker out of business...

3 hours ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Stay away from the brazilians.....they have obliterated our refinery and smelting operations up here and cost us close to a 1,000 jobs so far...

But they would make the mankinis more svelte.

8 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

The Diversity Is Strength promo was a joke. Why does Ambrosie think he needs to politicize the CFL?

Like they politicize the NFL at anthem time? I love this campaign and know others who do as well. Nice contrast to the hate and vitriol and phoney patriotism we see down South.

1 hour ago, Noeller said:

The Diversity Is Strength campaign is one of the best things the CFL has ever done!!! Players and fans all loved it. By far the highlight of Ambrosie's reign. 

Completely agree. I don't understand the shouldn't get politics involved crowd. Life and Politics just go hand in hand now. If we don't want politics in sports, then stop the national anthem. Stop the military days, there could even be a case to stop certain commercials from airing. It's just a ridiculous point of view.

7 hours ago, MOBomberFan said:

Like they politicize the NFL at anthem time? I love this campaign and know others who do as well. Nice contrast to the hate and vitriol and phoney patriotism we see down South.

The kerfuffle over players kneeling during the anthem in the NFL was all about Trump throwing red meat to his fan base. Someone said that if Kaepernick had beaten a woman instead of kneeling, he would have been back in the NFL by now.

Edited by Tracker

It was a reaction to what was going on at the States at the time. The murder in Charlotte & the riot as well as the NFL players kneeling. To me it was an Eff You to the NFL. And to Trump. It wasn't done for any other reason than that. I wouldn't put the CFL on a pedestal saying we're better than they are. The situation with Canadian qbs who are constantly discriminated against. There's still bias in the CFL. And I would argue that it wasn't the CFL that allowed guys like Bernie Custus to play qb up here. It was Canadian society. It allowed the open door policy of the CFL at the time.

As far as racism against blacks here in Canada it still exists. Just ask anyone who has grown up in Halifax with the history of said racism in Nova Scotia. And there is still systemic racism against aboriginal groups in Canada. It has existed since white settlers first settled in Upper Canada in the 17th Century. Anyone who thinks we're better than the States is naïve. I'm just saying that we act so damned superior about racism in this country comparing our selves to the US when we aren't much better ourselves.  The Diversity Is Strength is a great attempt at self aggrandizement by the CFL.  Fine, it sold a lot of tee shirts. Congrats, Randy. Now fix the Canadian qb situation.

20 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

It was a reaction to what was going on at the States at the time. The murder in Charlotte & the riot as well as the NFL players kneeling. To me it was an Eff You to the NFL. And to Trump. It wasn't done for any other reason than that. I wouldn't put the CFL on a pedestal saying we're better than they are. The situation with Canadian qbs who are constantly discriminated against. There's still bias in the CFL. And I would argue that it wasn't the CFL that allowed guys like Bernie Custus to play qb up here. It was Canadian society. It allowed the open door policy of the CFL at the time.

As far as racism against blacks here in Canada it still exists. Just ask anyone who has grown up in Halifax with the history of said racism in Nova Scotia. And there is still systemic racism against aboriginal groups in Canada. It has existed since white settlers first settled in Upper Canada in the 17th Century. Anyone who thinks we're better than the States is naïve. I'm just saying that we act so damned superior about racism in this country comparing our selves to the US when we aren't much better ourselves.  The Diversity Is Strength is a great attempt at self aggrandizement by the CFL.  Fine, it sold a lot of tee shirts. Congrats, Randy. Now fix the Canadian qb situation.

Canadian QBs aren’t discriminated against in the CFL. They simply aren’t as good as their American counterparts. One could make the argument that it’s because they aren’t given the resources or time to develop the skills adequately as youth but to say they haven’t been given a fair shot in the league or there is some sort of conspiracy against them is frankly ridiculous. It’s not the CFL’s fault that Canadian QBs aren’t good enough. If a Canadian QB counted toward the ratio, there still wouldn’t be any teams that used them.