Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 hour ago, tacklewasher said:

I'm  more worried about a ref being added for one purpose being extremely motivated to make sure he makes calls. I predict some soft calls this weekend.

It's like when any level of government says they're going to "crackdown" on something. Then they brag about results and the difference they are making in our lives.

8 hours ago, Zontar said:

The missed call was due to human error. So solution is to add another human? If officials angle of vision is blocked like last week what's stopping it from happening to the extra one? 

League can continue to say they are working on it...with all the teams involved.

what I might add is.....if the extra official misses a head shot on the QB and a coach has to throw his challenge yet again anyway,  that they get that challenge back every time if they are correct......  it makes as much sense as adding refs 

Edited by NorthernSkunk

This is an interesting idea:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/23/cfl-lfa-sign-letter-intent/

Anything that has the potential to increase league (and team) revenue is worth exploring.  With the way TV Rights Fees have exploded for sports, it could end up making a few bucks.

CFL Commissioner also said they are looking at one division and moving the season up a week.

7 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

This is an interesting idea:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/11/23/cfl-lfa-sign-letter-intent/

Anything that has the potential to increase league (and team) revenue is worth exploring.  With the way TV Rights Fees have exploded for sports, it could end up making a few bucks.

CFL Commissioner also said they are looking at one division and moving the season up a week.

I think 3-4 weeks would be better..... one week won't really be a noticeable difference n average weather wise 

This idea of adding a “designated Mexican” sounds like far and away the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of this league doing in my lifetime.

Ambrosie has been an awful commissioner. His ideas are ridiculous and this whole Mexico nonsense sounds like a horribly thought out way for him to expense his annual resort vacation and nothing more.

Imagine trying to explain this to somebody new to the league if and when it goes through.

”Okay, so the CFL has a few different rules ... for one, since it’s the Canadian Football League, teams are required to have a set amount of Canadians on the roster ... also, every team must dress one Mexican” 

“Mexican? Why?”

”............”

1 hour ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Ambrosie is going to do himself in rapidly.  The league is in a lot of trouble with basic issues and he’s trying to play games in Mexico.

If he can get CFL games aired in Spanish in Mexico for real money, why not?  Every sports property in the world right now is trying to cash in on increased media rights and streaming.  People are paying big money for any content.

Mexico strikes me as odd but if he sees a business case that generates revenue, go for it.  With that being said, we wouldnt want a designated Mexican...thats absurd.

5 minutes ago, The Unknown Poster said:

If he can get CFL games aired in Spanish in Mexico for real money, why not?  Every sports property in the world right now is trying to cash in on increased media rights and streaming.  People are paying big money for any content.

Mexico strikes me as odd but if he sees a business case that generates revenue, go for it.  With that being said, we wouldnt want a designated Mexican...thats absurd.

But, what's it going to cost to get those deals? If it's free money, sure, but it won't be. The CFL will need to guarantee something hoping to lure someone. It just doesn't make sense from the Mexican point-of-view to invest in the CFL right now. 

---------------------

I still wonder if we're getting the best deal having TSN as the exclusive rights holder. Other broadcasters just ignore the CFL. Sure it's been good for TSN but for who else? 

10 minutes ago, Mike said:

This idea of adding a “designated Mexican” sounds like far and away the most ridiculous thing I’ve ever heard of this league doing in my lifetime.

Ambrosie has been an awful commissioner. His ideas are ridiculous and this whole Mexico nonsense sounds like a horribly thought out way for him to expense his annual resort vacation and nothing more.

Imagine trying to explain this to somebody new to the league if and when it goes through.

”Okay, so the CFL has a few different rules ... for one, since it’s the Canadian Football League, teams are required to have a set amount of Canadians on the roster ... also, every team must dress one Mexican” 

“Mexican? Why?”

”............”

Quick, sign Sergio Castillo before someone else does.....he's CLOSE ENOUGH!!!

10 minutes ago, JCon said:

But, what's it going to cost to get those deals? If it's free money, sure, but it won't be. The CFL will need to guarantee something hoping to lure someone. It just doesn't make sense from the Mexican point-of-view to invest in the CFL right now. 

---------------------

I still wonder if we're getting the best deal having TSN as the exclusive rights holder. Other broadcasters just ignore the CFL. Sure it's been good for TSN but for who else? 

Yeah I think the article referenced ESPN 3 broadcasting games in Spanish.  The latino community is also huge and every business tries to capitalize there (from my wrestling experience, Smackdown used to beat RAW in ratings due to their Latino audience with Eddie & Rey).  It might seem like an uphill battle for a Canadian league to make in-roads in the Latino community, especially in Mexico, but if there is interest in broadcasting games there, you have to explore it.

It shouldn't be a foolish gambit though.  They wont expand to Mexico City.  But I think if there are networks looking for sports content in Mexico, the CFL would likely be pretty cheap compared to others.  

The hook might be those training camps...if you can discover a Mexican star, great.  Forcing bad players onto teams should be a non-starter.  

I'd hope they're looking more at the US and the plethora of networks/streaming platforms begging for sports content and paying a lot for it.

15 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Mark me in the camp that Ambroise needs to be focusing on fixing the Toronto/BC/Montreal markets and the CBA instead of this Mexican fiasco or honestly a team in Halifax.

Really, Ambrosie shouldn't be pursuing Halifax at all. He should be communicating with them but, if they want to join, they should be coming to Ambrosie. 

And, El Fiasco, will be a mess, guaranteed. 

35 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

That's your opinion, I'll leave it at that.

What part of his resume has impressed you?

The part where he curbed padded practices (ironically, in the name of player safety) even though not one party involved was incredibly for it because it lowers their ability to practice effectively?

The part where he has instructed teams to not pay offseason bonuses to players, which is an incredibly heavy handed bargaining tactic that serves no real purpose other than to agitate players?

The part where he’s had an inconsistent handling of players with criminal charges, to the point that he had to “personally approve” the contract of a guy who was never found guilty of anything, while they let Euclid Cummings play for a year without having a hot clue he had been charged with a crime?

The part where he’s literally changed rules mid-season in what can only be described as a true effort to make our league look bush league? 

The part where the only thing he’s done to address player safety is reiterate the same statements he made the first time the issue came up a year ago?

Or maybe it’s the part where the best efforts he’s made to grow a market in his tenure here is to ignore the three struggling markets that are essentially to the stability of our league and instead choose to focus on a partnership with a Mexican league that has been in existence for three years, and let’s keep in mind this is in the face of two upstart American leagues that are becoming a serious threat to poach significant talent from our league in the short-term, but hey, don’t worry I guess, the brand new “designated Mexican” position will save our talent pool. 

Ambrosie has been catastrophic.