Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

Didnt think about our clear cut number 2 QB will be making basically peanuts next yr compared to most other teams..and to think sask paid Collaros like 450k and Bridge 175k or so...ouchers

That will be really helpfull $$ wise for next yr signing our free agents or possible new free agent

Edited by Booch

My guess for next season....

BC gets Reilly,   keeps Lulay at a reduced salary.

Edmonton goes for Jennings.

Everything else remains the same....

*If* Bo Levi leaves then Calgary gets Collaros ,  Saskatchewan makes a big trade for Franklin and Rider fans herald him as the next greatest qb....

42 minutes ago, Brandon said:

*If* Bo Levi leaves then Calgary gets Collaros ,  Saskatchewan makes a big trade for Franklin and Rider fans herald him as the next greatest qb....

Franklin will remain in Toronto.

Here's a question for speculators...is Ambrosie  CFL commissioner on January 1, 2020?

I say it's 50/50.  Going to depend on CBA talks and if he can drop the "I need people to like me" grandstanding act that the football guys behind the BOG can't stand.  They need to fix mistakes he's already made to make the game reasonable, and he needs to just market the league and stay out of it.

The CBA stuff is huge.  Most of the league are free agents and the AAF is going to come hard at them with guaranteed American money.  You could see established CFL players leave if there is too much uncertainty.  Think of guys like Roosevelt and Jefferson, star players, free agents, guys that aren't going to wait until June to get paid.  They'll leave.  They all will except for marquee guys, QB's and Canadians.

The suckhole routine on Regina radio today is just pathetic for someone in his position.

1 hour ago, Brandon said:

Do you really think that anyone signs Collaros after this year, except maybe as a backup?  I sure can't.  Likewise Lulay.  He's done.  Jennings, maybe, but not for significant dollars.  Just too inconsistent.  

1 minute ago, WBBFanWest said:

Do you really think that anyone signs Collaros after this year, except maybe as a backup?  I sure can't.  Likewise Lulay.  He's done.  Jennings, maybe, but not for significant dollars.  Just too inconsistent.  

The Riders just signed Drew Tate.

Yes Collaros and Lulay will be on a roster next season if they want to be.

16 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

Here's a question for speculators...is Ambrosie  CFL commissioner on January 1, 2020?

I say it's 50/50.  Going to depend on CBA talks and if he can drop the "I need people to like me" grandstanding act that the football guys behind the BOG can't stand.  They need to fix mistakes he's already made to make the game reasonable, and he needs to just market the league and stay out of it.

The CBA stuff is huge.  Most of the league are free agents and the AAF is going to come hard at them with guaranteed American money.  You could see established CFL players leave if there is too much uncertainty.  Think of guys like Roosevelt and Jefferson, star players, free agents, guys that aren't going to wait until June to get paid.  They'll leave.  They all will except for marquee guys, QB's and Canadians.

The suckhole routine on Regina radio today is just pathetic for someone in his position.

What did he say?

13 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

The Riders just signed Drew Tate.

Yes Collaros and Lulay will be on a roster next season if they want to be.

If you're going to hold out the Riders as an example of "sure it can happen", factor in the fact that Jones can only screw up one roster at a time, and I doubt that he's able to sign all the old broken qb's that have played in the past 10 years.  He might, but it will be hard.

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Look around the league at the quality of backup qbs, and even starters in some places... you think those guys won't get a chance even being as broken as they are? 

10 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

45 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Look around the league at the quality of backup qbs, and even starters in some places... you think those guys won't get a chance even being as broken as they are? 

Actually, I do, and that's why I said what I did.  Do you honestly think any team, not run by Jones, would give the keys to the franchise to someone as brittle as Collaros or Lulay, knowing that neither of them is going to play more than half a season (at best)?  They're going to be Kevin Glenn level insurance.  Pay for the policy, pray you don't need it.

15 hours ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

We really need a 10th team.  We have the Riders trying to get Henry Burris out of retirement and Jeremiah Masoli heralded as one of the best QB's in the league.  Going to be some ugly football with 10 teams.

I know the die-hard, old-schoolers hate this idea... but if there's a 10th team, the ratio needs to be adjusted...

58 minutes ago, WBBFanWest said:

Actually, I do, and that's why I said what I did.  Do you honestly think any team, not run by Jones, would give the keys to the franchise to someone as brittle as Collaros or Lulay, knowing that neither of them is going to play more than half a season (at best)?  They're going to be Kevin Glenn level insurance.  Pay for the policy, pray you don't need it.

I can see Montreal at least jumping on either Collaros or Lulay to start, perhaps even Toronto if Ray calls it a career. Hell BC too might need one of them to start. If the Esks lose Reilly it's either Glenn or one of those guys. 

Quarterback is not a strong point in the CFL right now, 

2 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

QBs due to become free agents in Feb 2019:

- Bo Levi Mitchell

- Mike Reilly

- Trevor Harris

- Zach Collaros

- Travis Lulay

- Jonathan Jennings

- Brandon Bridge

- Kevin Glenn

- Ricky Ray

Wow, that's a lot. I expect three of those to retire (voluntarily). 

sure like the look of our situation moving forward...Rolling with all 3 again next year is fine with me...Bennett being only 26..Streveler at 23...no need to rplace either really, especially with value Bennett gives us on the teams...Keep grooming both...and focus on other issues with recruiting and free agency

8 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

QBs due to become free agents in Feb 2019:

- Bo Levi Mitchell

- Mike Reilly

- Trevor Harris

- Zach Collaros

- Travis Lulay

- Jonathan Jennings

- Brandon Bridge

- Kevin Glenn

- Ricky Ray

Wow, that's six day-1 starters... the only exceptions being Nichols, Masoli, and whoever Mtl trotted out (was it Drew Willy??)

3 hours ago, bearpants said:

I know the die-hard, old-schoolers hate this idea... but if there's a 10th team, the ratio needs to be adjusted...

With the AAF set to raid the CFL, the league will have a hard time signing good import talent. This would be a bad time for expansion but if all teams are crappy, it would average out in competitiveness, I guess.