Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

6 hours ago, Booch said:

Kind of a pointless thing to say as that can be said about any QB...Any player really...and yes if he continues to develop and learn and work on things there is no reason he can't push to be the starter in a year or two...his skill set and his intelligence is what have many in the league very impressed and give reason to think he could be very successfull...every top QB in the league starts somewhere, and the ones with the noodle arms...no ability to read a defense and think qickly and run like they have snowshoes on..well they don't get much hype

Or they find a way to play 10 years as a backup to the starter & go on the CFL tour from team to team never showing much of anything when they get the chance. Like Dom Davis. Or Kevin Glenn.  Every fan wonders why these backups still around. But they have  that "Veteran Presence", says every CFL head coach ever.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Oh no - losing players off their neg list...  a list that is constantly in flux with players being unceremoniously dumped all the time

If a team can't find players just because there are eight more teams competing for them...  well then fire your scouting staff.

I don't see much changing - CFL has always been a league where smaller, faster players excel - AAF will not be looking for those guys, they'll take all the NFL prototype bodies and just make another more boring version of 4 down football.

The Montreal Alouettes announced on Sunday that the club has extended international quarterbacks Antonio Pipkin, Vernon Adams Jr. and Jeff Mathews‘ contracts. Adams Jr. and Pipkin signed two-year extensions and will remain with the Alouettes in 2019 and 2020, while Mathews signed a one-year deal through 2019.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/2018/10/28/alouettes-extend-quarterbacks-antonio-pipkin-vernon-adams-jr-jeff-mathews-contracts/

One of the reason why I don’t like bashing a player or coach for a poor season often don’t know what’s going on in there lives. Looks like Trestman has a rough year. https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/simmons-surrounded-by-tragedy-argos-coach-marc-trestman-continues-to-walk-proudly

3 hours ago, Jpan85 said:

One of the reason why I don’t like bashing a player or coach for a poor season often don’t know what’s going on in there lives. Looks like Trestman has a rough year. https://torontosun.com/sports/football/cfl/toronto-argonauts/simmons-surrounded-by-tragedy-argos-coach-marc-trestman-continues-to-walk-proudly

Well said.

1 hour ago, Jpan85 said:

Thanks so much for posting this.  It's amazing to me how much CFL players and coaches sacrifice for the good of a sport they love.  

tho..same can be said about Evans on Reilly..targeted high...then used all his force to scoop and slam him into the turf...yet it goes by as a no big deal....The difference is that Reilly isn't a weak/damaged QB and was able to absorb it...guaranteed if he wobbled around like Glass Man did they would have flagged it after the review...the league needs to have consistency in the calls, or some kind of spelled out verbiage on it...or just scrap it and let it play out as it has for 80 some years....you don't like the hits...get out of the game or don't watch...people don't seem to be too concerned with head shots in boxing and the blatant intent to literally knock a bugger the eff out with multiple head shots with no helmet on with knees...elbows in MMA....You choose your profession...you choose the long term results

Edited by Booch

On 2018-10-28 at 9:52 AM, Mr Dee said:

The Montreal Alouettes announced on Sunday that the club has extended international quarterbacks Antonio Pipkin, Vernon Adams Jr. and Jeff Mathews‘ contracts. Adams Jr. and Pipkin signed two-year extensions and will remain with the Alouettes in 2019 and 2020, while Mathews signed a one-year deal through 2019.

https://en.montrealalouettes.com/2018/10/28/alouettes-extend-quarterbacks-antonio-pipkin-vernon-adams-jr-jeff-mathews-contracts/

Interesting. I wonder if that means Manziel is coming back or not. 

I want Halifax to get its stadium and team ASAP, but whenever I read about the funding needed I doubt it will happen.  The feds should look at this initiative as more than just a sports team.  It would be a major source of pride for the whole region and would be a unifier for the country.  The CFL would need to give it the same advantages that gifted Ottawa a Grey Cup win in the first few years to make it work.  But it would be huge in so many ways.

11 minutes ago, MC said:

I want Halifax to get its stadium and team ASAP, but whenever I read about the funding needed I doubt it will happen.  The feds should look at this initiative as more than just a sports team.  It would be a major source of pride for the whole region and would be a unifier for the country.  The CFL would need to give it the same advantages that gifted Ottawa a Grey Cup win in the first few years to make it work.  But it would be huge in so many ways.

The odds are against them. Funding, location, land agreements, and the public is only 50-50% in a small poll.

Its not a best case scenario even though it’s what CFL fans consider to be a good solution.

18 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Saskatchewan couldn't support two teams

I think Saskatchewan could support 2 teams...football is #1 here. Doubt it will ever happen, but the thought is intriguing.

2 hours ago, AKAChip said:

As bad as Manziel is, and he is very bad.

It's really hard to evaluate Manziel on a bad football team and it's unfair to evaluate him for the long term based on only one year. 

Will he amount to much in the CFL? I don't know. But give him a decent offensive line and some receivers that can catch and then we'll see. It seems to me that Manziel's biggest hurdle right now is to stay in the pocket and make quicker reads (however, his lack of that is also due to poor talent around him).

32 minutes ago, blueingreenland said:

I think Saskatchewan could support 2 teams...football is #1 here. Doubt it will ever happen, but the thought is intriguing.

It's really hard to evaluate Manziel on a bad football team and it's unfair to evaluate him for the long term based on only one year. 

Will he amount to much in the CFL? I don't know. But give him a decent offensive line and some receivers that can catch and then we'll see. It seems to me that Manziel's biggest hurdle right now is to stay in the pocket and make quicker reads (however, his lack of that is also due to poor talent around him).

The poor decision making, arm strength and accuracy he has shown this season as well as in his time in the NFL is very hard to correct regardless of supporting cast. I would argue that the struggles that the Als have experienced this season are more due to terrible QB play than poor support cast play. 

1 hour ago, Jacquie said:

Manziel is already under contract for next season.

Yes I’m aware, but I wonder if he’ll honour his deal. Very strange to re sign three other quarterbacks the day the season ends unless they’re completely content on those four being in Montreal next season. I certainly wouldn’t be. The QB play left a lot to be desired.