Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

2 hours ago, Clarky said:

Is it me or does it seem that Riders seem to dominate the headlines when it comes to arrests?

If that is in fact the case is this just coincidence or is there issues in the organization and the players they recruit?

They are expected to have a 10 and 8 season...

10 arrests and 8 convictions.

On 2018-10-16 at 2:33 PM, JCon said:

If he's not signed, does that mean he's still considered a Rider draft pick and not available to be scooped? 

If he gets another nfl mini camp or camp invite etc and leaves the riders from the PR wouldn't that relinquish their rights to him?

1 hour ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Why would you assume that?

According to the presser today from Chris Jones and  the Riders the league does not have a policy etc. It is up to the individual team to determine punishment etc.

13 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

Yeah, pretty sure they don't care, Odell Willis did the same thing a few years ago and he's still in the league.

Willis got a DUI in the states 2 weeks after being traded to Riders from Bombers. He never missed one second of football time and still plays in the league.   No one cared

Edited by Ripper

things have changed in that time tho...

Also wouldn't the fact that the Riders are a strong supporter and back the Saferide program in Saskatchewan be very hypocritical and send the wrong message if they just do nothing about this and let it slide?

Not saying that he should be let go...but a team imposed suspension of some type would be the right thing...no?....if not...they shouldn't be backing a program such as that when their own employees don't stand by it, nor are disciplined in some matter for totally going against it....they in a bit of a pickle there when you think about it

Edited by Booch

1 hour ago, Booch said:

things have changed in that time tho...

Also wouldn't the fact that the Riders are a strong supporter and back the Saferide program in Saskatchewan be very hypocritical and send the wrong message if they just do nothing about this and let it slide?

Not saying that he should be let go...but a team imposed suspension of some type would be the right thing...no?....if not...they shouldn't be backing a program such as that when their own employees don't stand by it, nor are disciplined in some matter for totally going against it....they in a bit of a pickle there when you think about it

I agree with you here, I'm not here to argue the point. Drinking and driving is beyond stupid and very dangerous. I suspect if he is guilty on all this, he likely gets let go in the off season possibly. I got a DUI pretty close to 30 years ago, I never drove ever again beyond my 2 beer limit. I was young and full of piss and vinegar, the oil patch was a different animal in those days. Our kids idolize these players and I don't like the optics of this one little bit. I still don't see him missing any time this season as far as playing, but I think something will happen regarding this.  I don't think this is a huge story though either, he f'd up. He is a grown up, he will face the consequences, whatever they might be

3 minutes ago, Ripper said:

I agree with you here, I'm not here to argue the point. Drinking and driving is beyond stupid and very dangerous. I suspect if he is guilty on all this, he likely gets let go in the off season possibly. I got a DUI pretty close to 30 years ago, I never drove ever again beyond my 2 beer limit. I was young and full of piss and vinegar, the oil patch was a different animal in those days. Our kids idolize these players and I don't like the optics of this one little bit. I still don't see him missing any time this season as far as playing, but I think something will happen regarding this.  I don't think this is a huge story though either, he f'd up. He is a grown up, he will face the consequences, whatever they might be

Yeah this about sums it up. He and the other drivers on the road are lucky that nothing terrible happened. I also don’t think he’ll miss playing time right now, the Riders can’t afford to lose him at this junction, but I think they ship him off in the off season. I don’t like Jones, but he showed when releasing Carter that he’s not afraid to lose one of his best players if there’s a problem of some sort. 

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Oh I agree...I got one as well back in the Early 90's and never have even risked it again...as well my son was T-boned by a drunk blowing a red light in 2016 and had to have emergency brain surgery due to it and was off work for a year...so it hits close to home for me.

I was just wondering the optics though of what the Riders stand behind, and playing a player who went against that doesn't leave good optics

5 minutes ago, O2L said:

Yeah this about sums it up. He and the other drivers on the road are lucky that nothing terrible happened. I also don’t think he’ll miss playing time right now, the Riders can’t afford to lose him at this junction, but I think they ship him off in the off season. I don’t like Jones, but he showed when releasing Carter that he’s not afraid to lose one of his best players if there’s a problem of some sort. 

I don't understand this comment. Carter wasn't utilized in his best position for most of the season. Jones carried him for months, long after there were problems. The man was arrested for possession twice and tried to start fights with his teammates last season. Jones carried him too long. 

5 minutes ago, Booch said:

Oh I agree...I got one as well back in the Early 90's and never have even risked it again...as well my son was T-boned by a drunk blowing a red light in 2016 and had to have emergency brain surgery due to it and was off work for a year...so it hits close to home for me.

I was just wondering the optics though of what the Riders stand behind, and playing a player who went against that doesn't leave good optics

In spite of all the jokes I read here about Sask.  We are a community owned team and a mostly rural province. No one is too happy about this and it is a disappointment. Playing for the Riders is one of the biggest things that happens here. They are held to a very high standard. They are humans and humans make mistakes.  I do object to all the posts looking down on Hughes, as if most of the people here have never had too many drinks and got behind the wheel.  I am not defending what he did, but can admit I have done some things in my younger days that I'm not overly proud of now. 

2 minutes ago, JCon said:

I don't understand this comment. Carter wasn't utilized in his best position for most of the season. Jones carried him for months, long after there were problems. The man was arrested for possession twice and tried to start fights with his teammates last season. Jones carried him too long. 

He may have kept him too long, that's true. I think he gave him every chance to turn things around and then moved on. Playing a different position had zero to do with him being let go.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

He may have kept him too long, that's true. I think he gave him every chance to turn things around and then moved on. Playing a different position had zero to do with him being let go.

I think he kept him too long. If he's not playing as a receiver, then why have him? To be a crappy CB? Jones thought he could get through to him, make him mature. But, so has every coach going back to his days in HS.