Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

On 2018-10-02 at 6:02 PM, Mike said:

Train Conductor ... 80-90 hours does include my time spent resting away from home between trips, so not “working” by definition, but paid hours. 🙉

Choo choo. Fun job. I did it a few years back with CN. Tiring stuff. Good money but kills u after a while. Good luck man. I didnt last. 2 years then nope.. Started losing my mind. Needed to move on. 

Edited by Goalie

26 minutes ago, Ripper said:

https://www.riderville.com/2018/10/16/rider-transactions-october-16th/

1st round pick Dakoda Shepley signs with Riders

Reading the articles and tweets I'm not sure what to make of this. It appears he's hanging around the PR sizing up the team but keeping his options regarding  another shot at the NFL.  No length of contract mentioned.  Someone must know how this is supposed to work?

David William Naylor Retweeted Saskatchewan Roughriders

The key here is that he’s added to practice roster but has not “signed”. Allows Shepley to become familiar with Riders players and coaches, participate in practice while keeping all NFL doors open. #Riders

David William Naylor added,

6 minutes ago, JCon said:

If he's not signed, does that mean he's still considered a Rider draft pick and not available to be scooped? 

If he signed to the PR he is available to everyone. They would have to roster him though. Which is how BC almost got our draft pick from last year. He declined though. I'd imagine Shepley would too, i'd be shocked if there wasn't some kind of an agreement between the two parties.

Just now, Bigblue204 said:

If he signed to the PR he is available to everyone. They would have to roster him though. Which is how BC almost got our draft pick from last year. He declined though. I'd imagine Shepley would too, i'd be shocked if there wasn't some kind of an agreement between the two parties.

Maybe the better question is, if you're officially on the Rider PR, do you get your own room in the flophouse with all the "unsigned" guys? Or just your own bed? 

Tho wouldn't it just be classic if someone did scoop him up and he agreed...haha

If on or now tho.. and he gets an NFL chance..signs down there and then released in off season.. has his obligation to Riders owning his rights end and he is free to sign anywhere in CFL?

1 hour ago, Booch said:

Tho wouldn't it just be classic if someone did scoop him up and he agreed...haha

If on or now tho.. and he gets an NFL chance..signs down there and then released in off season.. has his obligation to Riders owning his rights end and he is free to sign anywhere in CFL?

I believe so. That would make sense. But I'm not entirely sure.

Practice rosters provide CFL teams with additional reserve players to practice with the club but do not dress for games. The practice roster provides players familiar with a team's system that can be added to the regular roster in case of injury, situation or performance. Practice roster players do not sign standard CFLplayer contracts, instead they agree to a practice roster agreement as stipulated by the CBA.