Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

2 hours ago, J5V said:

So let's look at our excellent running attack from last game.

Harris, 10 carries, 21 yards

Demski, 4 carries, 32 yards

Flanders, 2 carries, 6 yards

Yes, he was shut down because teams know that he is the key because the Bombers do not attack the field vertically. Teams are doing everything to take him away, knowing that the rest of the Bomber O cannot adapt and does not have the horsepower to be a threat. Defenses can throw everything at shutting Harris down because they do not have to cover downfield or worry that any adjustments will be made.

That said, he is still very close to the leading the league in rushing, and he is a good back. If Bombers had a functional offence with some kind of consistent downfield threat, he would be very effective and would be the top running back again this year. I'll stand by the comment that he is a top-tier player but is being shut down because oppositions currently do not respect the rest of the Bomber O, which is atrocious.

6 minutes ago, DR. CFL said:

If you watch the games on the tube there are a lot of fans dressed up as empty seats. Someone on here tried to say all those seats belonged to people drowning their sorrows at the Rum Hut. You would be hard pressed to convince me there are 5,000 people sipping a drink over there.

I'd be willing to bet there are 3-4 thousand people in the concourse at any given time. I'm actually usually surprised at how many people seem to just never go to their seats.

9 hours ago, J5V said:

So let's look at our excellent running attack from last game.

Harris, 10 carries, 21 yards

Demski, 4 carries, 32 yards

Flanders, 2 carries, 6 yards

You said you couldnt think of one aspect the bombers are elite in. Harris is 2nd in the league, will likely  e 1st after tonight again. For 99.99999% of people that would be considered elite.

If you're criteria for "elite" is they have to be #1 in the league week in and week out. Literally no one is elite at anything. 

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

I'd be willing to bet there are 3-4 thousand people in the concourse at any given time. I'm actually usually surprised at how many people seem to just never go to their seats.

Easily, I lose people at games on a regular basis, there are just so many places to hang out and run into people. 

3 hours ago, Bigblue204 said:

You said you couldnt think of one aspect the bombers are elite in. Harris is 2nd in the league, will likely  e 1st after tonight again. For 99.99999% of people that would be considered elite.

If you're criteria for "elite" is they have to be #1 in the league week in and week out. Literally no one is elite at anything. 

Your hubris has blinded you to the point I was making which was the team is not excelling. I never said anything about Harris not being an elite back, which he certainly is. Those were your words. But last game the offense sucked. The running game sucked and the passing game sucked. The stats don't lie.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

Your hubris has blinded you to the point I was making which was the team is not excelling. I never said anything about Harris not being an elite back, which he certainly is. Those were your words. But last game the offense sucked. The running game sucked and the passing game sucked. The stats don't lie.

U said the bombers weren't elite in anything. I gave an example of something they are clearly elite in. You brought up last game where that part wasnt great. To which I replied, if your definition of elite is being the best week in week out, not one team can meet that criteria. 

If you meant just this past game. You should have said so. You didn't. If you dont want to think the bombers are an elite team when it comes to running, that's fine. You're wrong because as you said... The stats dont lie.

1 hour ago, Bigblue204 said:

U said the bombers weren't elite in anything. I gave an example of something they are clearly elite in. You brought up last game where that part wasnt great. To which I replied, if your definition of elite is being the best week in week out, not one team can meet that criteria. 

If you meant just this past game. You should have said so. You didn't. If you dont want to think the bombers are an elite team when it comes to running, that's fine. You're wrong because as you said... The stats dont lie.

Nope, I didn't say that. I said

"We seem to be underperforming in all areas, at least, I can't think of a single facet of the game that we excel at."

You somehow changed that into "Harris is not elite". I'll thank you not to put words in my mouth. It's an all too common practice around here.

I'm a huge Harris fan and can't imagine where this team would be without him. I'm well aware of how "elite" he is.

If I wasn't clear, I apologise. My point was the performance of the team of late, especially the last game, where we didn't seem to excel at anything. 

Edited by J5V
benefit of the doubt

15 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Gonna wager heart attack. He was a big old boy when he played.

Thirty eight year olds just don't die in their sleep.  He did have a weight problem when he played. His weight held him back as a player & led to his eventual release from the Stampeders. Never played for another team. But just so sad. 

Edited by SpeedFlex27

Speaking of moves, if Harris is done, what about making a deal with Montreal for William Stanback. He looks pretty good. Failing that, how about Wilder out of Toronto? Maybe offer up some draft picks.

While we're at it, maybe ask the Argos what they'd want for SJ Green or Armanti Edwards.

Whatever happened to Geoff Gray?