Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

On 2018-09-16 at 3:23 PM, pigseye said:

lol, not pining over them but I wouldn't mind seeing what 4 or 5 international receivers on the field at the same time could do. 

I'd rather see 1 or 2 legit top American  receivers and the  the canadians cause the Canucks can play. I trust them more than the Americans.

6 hours ago, Mr Dee said:

“When we won four games, we weren’t coming in and telling our players how good we are,” Jones said. “And right now, after losing a football game, we’re not coming in and telling our players how bad we are. We need to play good, consistent football and trust the process.” - isn’t this the same thing O’Shea has been saying and gets roasted for?

O'Shea gets roasted for doing and saying dumb things. Doing things that cost the team wins like ...

• A 61 yard field goal attempt, in a dome
  • Gambling on 3rd down, twice, in the red zone, losing both of them, when you have a 17-0 lead, and ultimately losing 20-17
  • Faking a punt that loses us the game

Then stubbornly saying a few days later ... 

"... Yup, I'd do it again, definitely".

But most of all, O'Shea gets roasted for treating fans like they're stupid, with that condescending, arrogant smirk.

19 minutes ago, J5V said:

A 61 yard field goal attempt, in a dome

That decision was questionable and was the object of what O’Shea said he’d do again.

20 minutes ago, J5V said:

Gambling on 3rd down, twice, in the red zone, losing both of them, when you have a 17-0 lead, and ultimately losing 20-17

They gambled because of the stats on those kind of gambles. I believe the Bombers were 25 out of 26 on 3rd down gambles. The gamble wasn’t really the problem. The play selection or execution did matter. Or maybe BC actually defended it well. 

BUT, in the previous example, don’t forget, the yardage needed was 4 yards on 3rd down, SO, which decision was more correct?

25 minutes ago, J5V said:

Faking a punt that loses us the game

If I remember correctly, the example you cited was not called by O’Shea, but was a Medlock decision..

17 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

That decision was questionable and was the object of what O’Shea said he’d do again.

They gambled because of the stats on those kind of gambles. I believe the Bombers were 25 out of 26 on 3rd down gambles. The gamble wasn’t really the problem. The play selection or execution did matter. Or maybe BC actually defended it well. 

BUT, in the previous example, don’t forget, the yardage needed was 4 yards on 3rd down, SO, which decision was more correct?

If I remember correctly, the example you cited was not called by O’Shea, but was a Medlock decision..

correct on no3. For me, ill take gambles of aggression. especially out of mos. Aggressive football is good football. 

Just now, Mr Dee said:

Yes and Lapo doesn't escape scrutiny either but my point was the roasting of O'Shea. For the fans that have had enough of him these are some of the things cited, whether correct or not. I believe there is a sense that the team should be better than it is after 5 years. A sense that O'Shea is actually holding the team back due to his inability to admit mistakes and a willingness to repeat them. The smirk and the condescension only add to the bitterness.

It may be that many of those same fans will give O'Shea credit for improving the team from what it was when he first came here, although that wasn't hard, really. It's just that now they want to see the team take the next step and the confidence in O'Shea just isn't there for the reasons stated above. O'Shea is a tremendous player's coach. I don't think anyone disputes that. Problem is, he's a below .500 player's coach and an 0-fer playoff coach. It's not good enough.

If the team falters any worse than it has already or completely collapses, a 6 or 7 win season, I believe Mike will be done.

4 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

Noooooooooo. I would have never guessed you felt that way!!!

It's no given. O'Shea's got another year after this one on his contract and it may be that he isn't going anywhere until the end of next season regardless of how poorly the team does. We don't have that kind of money to throw around.

20 minutes ago, J5V said:

It's no given. O'Shea's got another year after this one on his contract and it may be that he isn't going anywhere until the end of next season regardless of how poorly the team does. We don't have that kind of money to throw around.

You're really starting to look like the Riders troll everyone thought you were...

7 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Better defense than the start of the year.  We still have only won 5 games. 

We seem to be underperforming in all areas, at least, I can't think of a single facet of the game that we excel at. 

1 hour ago, J5V said:

We seem to be underperforming in all areas, at least, I can't think of a single facet of the game that we excel at. 

One of the things coaches constantly emphasize in winning or losing.....they emphasize the need to demonstrate improvement in all facets of the game over the course of the season. This team has not demonstrated that over the short term, nor over the long term.

11 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I know right I mean it's not like we have a player in the top 2 or 3 of the league in their position....not even one never mind 2.

Andrew Harris, but after that, nothing...

And some positions like receiver the team is struggling to have anything in the top 15

Edited by TheSource

14 hours ago, J5V said:

The BOD and Walters have to balance the savings of keeping O'Shea around if there is no improvement in the team performance vs what the team will lose if he will be kept, as the honeymoon with O'Shea sure looks like it is over. He has not shown that he can field a team which lives up to its potential or even exceed it.

16 hours ago, J5V said:

Yes and Lapo doesn't escape scrutiny either but my point was the roasting of O'Shea. For the fans that have had enough of him these are some of the things cited, whether correct or not. I believe there is a sense that the team should be better than it is after 5 years. A sense that O'Shea is actually holding the team back due to his inability to admit mistakes and a willingness to repeat them. The smirk and the condescension only add to the bitterness.

It may be that many of those same fans will give O'Shea credit for improving the team from what it was when he first came here, although that wasn't hard, really. It's just that now they want to see the team take the next step and the confidence in O'Shea just isn't there for the reasons stated above. O'Shea is a tremendous player's coach. I don't think anyone disputes that. Problem is, he's a below .500 player's coach and an 0-fer playoff coach. It's not good enough.

If the team falters any worse than it has already or completely collapses, a 6 or 7 win season, I believe Mike will be done.

xOeJM6.gif

13 hours ago, TheSource said:

Andrew Harris, but after that, nothing...

And some positions like receiver the team is struggling to have anything in the top 15

So let's look at our excellent running attack from last game.

Harris, 10 carries, 21 yards

Demski, 4 carries, 32 yards

Flanders, 2 carries, 6 yards

12 hours ago, Tracker said:

The BOD and Walters have to balance the savings of keeping O'Shea around if there is no improvement in the team performance vs what the team will lose if he will be kept, as the honeymoon with O'Shea sure looks like it is over. He has not shown that he can field a team which lives up to its potential or even exceed it.

O'Shea may not have lost the players but I'm being told he has lost the fans and that Miller isn't being completely honest with reported attendance figures. I'm not sure how that dynamic is going to play out but if fans start voting with their wallets, it's going to put a lot of pressure on Miller eventually.