Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

4 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Trying to think of the last first overall that has paid off...  Lavertu I'd think

I'm excluding 2015 draft because basically the entire first round paid off...

Muamba, Heenan was a starter right away which lead to Neufeld being traded to the Bombers

6 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Muamba, Heenan was a starter right away which lead to Neufeld being traded to the Bombers

I kind of left off Heenan and Muamba because of their NFL aspirations that cut the payoff with the drafting team short...

I'd rather have Mateas, Chungh or McEwen over either of those guys...

29 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Antoine Pruneau is in his fifth season in Ottawa and has only missed one game.  He has been a very good pick.  Always nice to have a Canadian safety. 

Again, there have been some great picks... but first overall is not one of them...

Teams picking mid-first round usually have the best payoff

Huff's ability to pick BPA despite size/school/off-field issues has also paid off more than any other GM - Sunderland took a page out of his book in 2017...

I guess my point is that Walters should not be raked over the coals for Ekakitie but also should not get too much credit for Chungh and Goossen because those were almost can't miss top fives...

Aside from that, there's arguments both ways on his scouting...  I think he's good but he's not head and shoulders above anyone else.

Briggs over Miles, Richards over Durant, Morgan over Campbell, Normand over Lafrance...  there is a bit of a history of not picking BPA at their targeted position...

Right now, Conteh over Adeleke and Geoff Gray over Evan Johnson aren't looking like great decisions either

The BC trade and Simonise were savvy decisions imo... same with Petermann and A G-D

50 minutes ago, Floyd said:

Geoff Gray over Evan Johnson aren't looking like great decisions either

Walters specifically said that the logic behind Gray was avoiding paying a big first round salary at this time and using it as a futures pick so not sure we can judge it against anyone currently playing. 

Overall I am happy with Walters drafting. In any draft you can go back and nit pick this guy over that guy but when I look at how the Canadian depth has improved on this team I give Walters a good grade. 

Now about the American scouting....

17 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Walters specifically said that the logic behind Gray was avoiding paying a big first round salary at this time and using it as a futures pick so not sure we can judge it against anyone currently playing. 

Overall I am happy with Walters drafting. In any draft you can go back and nit pick this guy over that guy but when I look at how the Canadian depth has improved on this team I give Walters a good grade. 

All good points. The American scouting right now hinges on Streveler. If he turns out to be a star in this league, Walters gets a big pass on the rest, Rec, lbs, and Dbs where he has been a little weak 

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

All good points. The American scouting right now hinges on Streveler. If he turns out to be a star in this league, Walters gets a big pass on the rest, Rec, lbs, and Dbs where he has been a little weak 

2 hours ago, bb1 said:

Streveler is a bit of an anomaly- IRC, LaPolice found him, did he not? And Walters hires and supervises the US scouts, but so far as I know, he does not go beat the bushes.

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

I'm definitely not nitpicking...  but I'm less in awe of our Cdn scouting than I was a couple years ago - I'd say we're just a bit above average but not much...  lots of teams are scouting Cdn quite well now

I doubt Evan Johnson was a huge salary at 9th overall - he was a bit off the board...  but I do understand the logic of the Gray pick

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

American scouting also discovered Bethel-Thompson...

JSK is a huge find...  same with Alexander - its not all misses, in fact, some guys we call misses are probably just taking a bullet for Richie Hall's crap D

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

American scouting also discovered Bethel-Thompson...

JSK is a huge find...  same with Alexander - its not all misses, in fact, some guys we call misses are probably just taking a bullet for Richie Hall's crap D

They've actually found a lot of good DB's.  Leggett, Fogg, Alexander, Sayles. Unfortunately they play a bizarre system without a safety that forces the DB's to always cheat deep and really gamble on anything underneath.  They seem to think it's amazing and Loffler is amazing too.

5 hours ago, Tracker said:

Streveler is a bit of an anomaly- IRC, LaPolice found him, did he not? And Walters hires and supervises the US scouts, but so far as I know, he does not go beat the bushes.

Wolitarsky suggested Streveler come to town because they were tent mates in Scouts or something like that. Well, that’s how I remember it. 

22 hours ago, bb1 said:

If Streveler turns out to be the real deal he will make all those other positions look better, no matter who is playing.

17 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Wolitarsky suggested Streveler come to town because they were tent mates in Scouts or something like that. Well, that’s how I remember it. 

17 hours ago, Rod Black said:

Big Chris and Wolitarskey played football together in college.