Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

Redblacks' Hebert suspended two games

TORONTO — Ottawa Redblacks linebacker Kyries Hebert will be watching from the sidelines again because of an illegal hit.

The CFL announced on Monday that Hebert has been suspended for two-games for hitting Montreal Alouettes receiver B.J. Cunningham to the side of his head in a "reckless manner" in Friday's contest.

The penalty was issued after CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie held a telephone hearing with Hebert and a representative of the league's Players' Association.

It's the second time this season Hebert has been suspended following a one-game ban for a hit on Calgary Stampeders receiver DaVaris Daniels in Week 3.

The veteran linebacker said at the time that he had no plan to change his style of play.

"I've had over 800 career tackles and I've been in trouble five times maybe, so the ratio is not like it's an every play incident where I have a play that's illegal," said Hebert. "I want to clean it up, the most important thing is our team and for me to be available to them."

Hebert also said after his Week 3 suspension that he knows he has little room for error.

"They're (the league) going to keep a closer eye because I'm me."

Montreal went on to beat Ottawa 21-11. Cunningham stayed in the game after the hit and Hebert was given a 15-yard penalty on the play for roughness.

https://www.tsn.ca/redblacks-hebert-suspended-two-games-1.1166961

On 2018-09-03 at 5:38 AM, Mark F said:

Former Bomber Brett Maher is now field goal kicker for Cowboys. 

Michael Floyd cut. wonder if he ends up in Sask.

Wow, Brett Maher really is their starting F.G. kicker.  How many CFL teams cut him, must be 3 or 4, he bounced around a lot, Medlock must be scratching his head.

Don't know if this has been discussed previously, but Season 7 of "NFL Hard Knocks" features Mike Sherman prominently as the O.C. of the Dolphins.  He's sure a lot tougher coach than he looks.  CFL note, the season premier starts out with Derrick Dennis being the very first cut of T.C., just before the first practice.  Messam also cut in episode 4, never even got a chance to play in a pre-season game.

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

18 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Medlock must be scratching his head.

no kidding.

Maher is probably almost as good as the other guy, and one quarter the salary.

Lots of anguish from missed field goals, that should have been made, over the years. Both leagues.

vikings cut ryan longwell who I think never  missed under fifty, and then lost a playoff game with his cheaper replacement, who flubbed a 27 yarder that would have won it.

And people say there are no former Bombers making it in the NFL!

That's two now. two kickers.

Were tops in finding and developing

kickers.

Edited by Mark F

6 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Don't know if this has been discussed previously, but Season 7 of "NFL Hard Knocks" features Mike Sherman prominently as the O.C. of the Dolphins.  He's sure a lot tougher coach than he looks.  CFL note, the season premier starts out with Derrick Dennis being the very first cut of T.C., just before the first practice. 

They usually are.  These guys are getting graded on everything they do on every play in games and practice.  The coaches aren’t going to go on CJOB and read this out to the fans, but I always think it’s pretty ridiculous that people think they aren’t held accountable.  And BTW, this has been said about literally every coach I can recall on these forums and the others.

10 minutes ago, pigseye said:

The elephant in the room that nobody wants to acknowledge. cough...walters...cough...

That's because, geez, the players suck, the coaching sucks, and now we're supposed to acknowledge that the GM sucks? That's a lot of sucking. 

10 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

In fairness to Walters, Canadian scouting is his forte. But he need a US scouting that is far better than the current group.

He's done a good job at national recruiting but that's not his only job, and we all knew it was going to take some time with the internationals as they were basically starting from scratch, but gee whiz it's been 5 years now, a little progress would be nice. 

Edited by pigseye
z

56 minutes ago, pigseye said:

He's done a good job at national recruiting but that's not his only job, and we all knew it was going to take some time with the internationals as they were basically starting from scratch, but gee whiz it's been 5 years now, a little progress would be nice. 

Hey, you know what they say, Rome wasn't built in ten years