Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 minute ago, Tracker said:

Hiring O'Shea was a bit of a gamble that hasn't quite paid off just yet ( I was rooting for Tom Higgins) but despite the lack of playoff wins, he is still pretty safe here.

I am a big Higgins fan. The guy is first class all the way.  I posted supportive posts on here for O'Shea when everyone wanted him gone.  Not sure he can push it over the top with Hall by his side. Does MOS have the stones to make a move to go for the cup before Plop gets stolen to coach elsewhere?  Harris is the heart and soul and he isn't getting any younger, he is in this year or next year country.  awesome suspense and can't wait to see how it works out.  Obviously I want us to win the cup, but I have been a big bombers supporter for a long time. Be nice to bring one home.  Not a Nichols fan, doesn't mean I don't pull for the bombers.  

7 minutes ago, Tracker said:

I would not doubt this. I do not think that LaPolice has headcoaching out of his blood yet.

Why would you want anyone on your staff who had no ambition?  Unless they are on the verge of retirement.  Money talks

3 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Can the Riders afford to fire Jones with the new cap coming in for coaches and front office people? Isn't Jones owed $700,000 for next year? That would count would it not and you'd then still have to pay for the new guys.

750 I think.  I think we all need to assume that fired coaches don't count against the cap.  That would make it hard on teams to make effective coaching moves.  I am not talking about Riders, I mean in general

43 minutes ago, M.O.A.B. said:

If he exists the Riders after this season, Chris Jones will probably reunite with Hervey on the West Coast... and MacAdoo will tag along.

Why would Hervey do that? You don’t think Jones burned a few bridges with Hervey with everything that happened when Jones left Edmonton.

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

750 I think.  I think we all need to assume that fired coaches don't count against the cap.  That would make it hard on teams to make effective coaching moves.  I am not talking about Riders, I mean in general

Good point. Would O Day be the guy they'd hire and if you're Lapo do you want to go to that team and that QB situation?

23 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Good point. Would O Day be the guy they'd hire and if you're Lapo do you want to go to that team and that QB situation?

I can't speak for anyone but if you want to coach you would consider it.  Lapo has been here before and is loved by the fans. Not saying he would do it, but I would bet money he would consider it seriously.  Depending how things shake out, I think O'Day gets a serious look to replace Jones

Edited by Ripper

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

I'm hearing Jones cut him and he was hurt. Bagg filed grievance to cflpa and riders had to pay him his wages and medical stuff. Jones lied yesterday and was squirming pretty good today with the media drilling him about it. I think they brought him back because of it.  On a personal note, I am a huge fan of Rob Bagg's, he should never have been let go it the first place.  He will give them a big lift

Now wait a minute, this isn't the first time a player has been injured in T.C., cut, and told to return when he gets healthy, the Bombers have done it and I believe the Riders did it with Cameron Marshal.  Is Bagg just the first one smart enough to file a grievance with the CFLPA?

Edited by Throw Long Bannatyne

7 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Lot's of QBs have expiring contract after this season. So the Riders maybe in luck and bringing in Lapo will help to land one. 

16 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Now wait a minute, this isn't the first time a player has been injured in T.C., cut, and told to return when he gets healthy, the Bombers have done it and I believe the Riders did it with Cameron Marshal.  Is Bagg just the first one smart enough to file a grievance with the CFLPA?

Marshall was cut because he failed his physical at camp.  But I get what you saying totally 

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

Its in there beside grey cups we should have won

As a Bomber fan that's never seen the Bombers win a Grey Cup, I feel your pain. Also as a Bombers fan, I find it a little funny that you guys have still lost more Grey Cups than us despite our current drought (Riders have 15 GC losses, we have 14 losses).

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Not funny when you are a fan of team. 

We've all been there, it's no fun. :(

1 hour ago, Mr Dee said:

Wow. When I look back 3 years ago and look at the hiring that each team had made - O’Shea, entering his 3rd year, and the shiny new DC, with sunglasses and the many titles - Jones. I remember the excitement wafting over the borders from Sask (not the usual wafting). There was a new sheriff in town..and he looked legit. Not so much now.

Compare the orgs. now and really, there is no comparison. The Bombers are in order, the Riders are in disarray. Does anybody really know what’s going on there? 

Saskatchewan, a team with a good defence on the field, but there is no defence for what direction Jones is taking that team.

As much as I like O'Shea - I think the front office staff deserves way more credit than they're getting. Absolute garbage record in 2013 aside, anyone else remember the debacle that was getting in and out of that stadium? If nothing else, Miller and Co. have made the best of the hand they were dealt and have done a tonne of work in making the fan experience as enjoyable as possible.

36 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

No doubt Marshal will be better than Richardson. I often wonder though if the Riders purposely sign ex-Bombers in preparation for the back-to-back series. They always seem to have those few extra players just foaming at the mouth. Guess it could just be a byproduct of the carousel that is the CFL though.

56 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

From what I understand, you can do that to a rookie but not to a veteran player. 

14 minutes ago, Blueandgold said:

To be fair, I’ve heard we had the same understanding with Matt Coates this year. 

I wonder if they will bring him back, he's a good player and all but their just isn't room on the roster for another Natl. receiver.  Walters has to be at least considering trading some of the assets he's built up on O. for a starting calibre Natl. on the D.  Wolitarsky and Petermann have potentially established market value and could be considered valuable acquisitions for almost any team in the league.

3 hours ago, Ripper said:

I can't speak for anyone but if you want to coach you would consider it.  Lapo has been here before and is loved by the fans. Not saying he would do it, but I would bet money he would consider it seriously.  Depending how things shake out, I think O'Day gets a serious look to replace Jones

Well, with the coaches salary cap the Riders can't throw huge money at him so it wouldn't be another Chris Jones situation. 

2 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

To be fair, I’ve heard we had the same understanding with Matt Coates this year. 

But Coates was released about a week before training camp started. Not the same thing as what happened with Bagg.

Edited by Jacquie

10 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

Coates has a non-football injury.  Bagg was injured playing football for the Riders in training camp this year.  That's the difference.  If Coates was injured in training camp he'd be on the 6 game.

You can cut injured players with benefits if they are not veterans.  Can't cut injured veterans.  That's why teams are often hesitant to bring vets in for a look.  They roll an ankle and they are on your team.

The option that Saskatchewan might go for would be to fire Jones the GM and Lord of the Green, and keep Jones the HC.  He is a very good coach.  If not, then they would not have won the games they have the last couple of years.  They are still a team nobody wants to play.  I would not be surprised if they beat the Stamps this week for instance. 

1 minute ago, MC said:

The option that Saskatchewan might go for would be to fire Jones the GM and Lord of the Green, and keep Jones the HC.  He is a very good coach.  If not, then they would not have won the games they have the last couple of years.  They are still a team nobody wants to play.  I would not be surprised if they beat the Stamps this week for instance. 

Jones is too arrogant to take that deal.