Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

2 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

MONTREAL — According to TSN’s Matthew Scianitti, Johnny Manziel is missing from Montreal Alouettes practice Wednesday for the second straight day.

Manziel missed Tuesday’s practice to attend an appointment, the team revealed, but according to Scianitti, Manziel was once again absent on Wednesday.

The Alouettes did not disclose any reason.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/08/14/manziel-misses-tuesday-practice-due-appointment/

Don't the Alouettes follow in-game protocol on head injuries. After that hit JM took at the goal line, quiet room was needed. Where were the spotters in this game? What a hot mess. 

6 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Don't the Alouettes follow in-game protocol on head injuries. After that hit JM took at the goal line, quiet room was needed. Where were the spotters in this game? What a hot mess. 

I keep hearing there is no concussion protocol in the CFL. But wasn't Reilly pulled from a game against his and his teams will because he was required to get checked out after taking a head shot??

15 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

I keep hearing there is no concussion protocol in the CFL. But wasn't Reilly pulled from a game against his and his teams will because he was required to get checked out after taking a head shot??

In this day in age, I would be surprised by that. Even so, each team has medical professionals on staff and (should) know the specific steps to follow with a suspected in-game concussion. Sherman is saying there is no way he would have put JM back in if he knew something was wrong. I remember seeing the trainers (and others) working with JM on the sidelines after the hit but why they didn't take him to the quiet room is beyond explanation. Doesn't matter if he was saying the right things on the sidelines or not. Everyone has instant access nowadays to  review plays and that specific hit he got blown up and needed to be further assessed.    

47 minutes ago, Bigblue204 said:

You are correct, Reilly was pulled from a game by the CFL eye-in-the-sky.  Reilly ended up being cleared after going to the quite room for evaluation.  Maas was livid that he got pulled at all.

There's no way that JM should have been left in that game after the hit.  Even if the training staff on the sideline didn't  keep him off, the CFL should have required an evaluation.

24 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Apparenty Rob Bagg allows them to start to national wr-Stanford and Bagg. Plus Bagg will take coverage away from Roosevelt. I'm sorry but does a wr group of Roosevelt/Holly/Williams Lambert/Evans/Stanford and Bagg scare anybody? I'd argue its the worst group in the CFL.

Scares me even less with the guys throwing them the ball. 

9 minutes ago, Jacquie said:

Shocking, a player saying he's fine. See Collaros for most recent example of hiding things and ask Matt Dunnigan.

Not to mention the fact that concussions can take time to show effect. Neuroscience kind of thing. There is no argument here.  The NHL has it right. He needed to go to a quiet room for further assessment. The hit didn't look bad, it was bad. Err on the side of immediate safety and longer term effect Matthew.

Chris Jones basically comes out and announces that the Riders violated the CBA today with releasing Bagg.

“The CFL rule clearly implicated us early in the year, they said that the six-game is not to put guys with three and four-week injuries, it was for six game-type injuries. And when the trainers said it wasn’t necessarily a six-week deal, I couldn’t risk a $25,000 fine, so ultimately that’s what it came down to,” Jones said.

“You have to release a guy that’s worked for you and that you feel loyal too, it’s tough.”

Can't release an injured veteran.  Should have kept him on 1 game IR.  Gonna be a lot deeper doo doo than a $25,000 fine if the CFLPA decides to grieve this.

What a maroon, why even say this?

30 minutes ago, HardCoreBlue said:

Shocking, a player saying he's fine. See Collaros for most recent example of hiding things and ask Matt Dunnigan.

Not to mention the fact that concussions can take time to show effect. Neuroscience kind of thing. There is no argument here.  The NHL has it right. He needed to go to a quiet room for further assessment. The hit didn't look bad, it was bad. Err on the side of immediate safety and longer term effect Matthew.

Yep, it's quite simple.  A 5 minute assessment is not enough.  There's a ton of Adrenalin, often other substances on board.  The protocols are basically legal ass covering, but even as that they aren't effective if they are not followed.  The trigger to be in protocol should be any sign of symptoms or the hit itself, whatever reveals itself first.  You shouldn't have to flunk an extremely basic assessment to end up in protocol.  IMO the CFL Protocol sucks and if they can't follow it for a simple open field hit on the QB with 500 cameras on him that's a pretty good sign they just aren't trying to protect the players.

2 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

It was even nuttier because there was no way the Als were going to compete in that game, let alone win. What was to be gained by not giving him the rest of the game off?

2 hours ago, Tracker said:

It was even nuttier because there was no way the Als were going to compete in that game, let alone win. What was to be gained by not giving him the rest of the game off?

The Als scored a go-ahead touchdown on the play when he was hit and it looked like he was turning the corner and starting to move the team.  From a winning-football-games standpoint, the Als had every reason to leave him in.

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

MONTREAL — According to TSN’s Matthew Scianitti, Johnny Manziel is missing from Montreal Alouettes practice Wednesday for the second straight day.

Manziel missed Tuesday’s practice to attend an appointment, the team revealed, but according to Scianitti, Manziel was once again absent on Wednesday.

The Alouettes did not disclose any reason.

It's confirmed that Manziel's absence was for concussion protocol:  https://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/alouettes-put-quarterback-johnny-manziel-under-concussion-protocol

Pipkin likely to start this week.  Fifth starting quarterback in nine games.  Good lord.

Edited by johnzo

3 hours ago, Tracker said:

I hear what you're saying but the score of the game and who the player is has absolutely no relevancy in compromising how a potential concussion is assessed during a game.

6 hours ago, WBBFanWest said:

Not sure about Jade, but I understand that Addison sprained his wrist trying to give them a call.  

Not sure if he followed through with it, but the last time I talked with him, he wanted to travel to Australia and work there for a few years. 

2 hours ago, johnzo said:

It's confirmed that Manziel's absence was for concussion protocol:  https://canoe.com/sports/football/cfl/alouettes-put-quarterback-johnny-manziel-under-concussion-protocol

Pipkin likely to start this week.  Fifth starting quarterback in nine games.  Good lord.

I could see it getting to a point where everyone refuses to get behind centre. A brutal OL and the game plan is not helping them out at all. 

4 hours ago, HardCoreBlue said:

I hear what you're saying but the score of the game and who the player is has absolutely no relevancy in compromising how a potential concussion is assessed during a game.

The alleged logic of trotting your future "all-star" quarterback back onto the filed after he was clearly knocked unconscious totally escapes me. This apart from the medical reasons.