Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

On 2018-07-18 at 9:51 AM, Blueandgold said:

In my lifetime there have been around six American football leagues that have given media types the vapors. They come and go. Little or no appetite for  pro ball not called NFL but every new league thinks theyve found the magic formula.

Ill wait this one out too.

6 minutes ago, Zontar said:

In my lifetime there have been around six American football leagues that have given media types the vapors. They come and go. Little or no appetite for  pro ball not called NFL but every new league thinks theyve found the magic formula.

Ill wait this one out too.

The marketing strategy is a good one here - They aren't necessarily targeting the best players, just big names who can potentially get people to tune in.

But you aren't wrong, every league sans the NFL and CFL(and I guess arena league) has been a massive failure. 

3 hours ago, Blueandgold said:

The marketing strategy is a good one here - They aren't necessarily targeting the best players, just big names who can potentially get people to tune in.

But you aren't wrong, every league sans the NFL and CFL(and I guess arena league) has been a massive failure. 

Arena League was a massive failure.  It basically doesn’t exist anymore, there are a bunch of small arena leagues.

The crazy thing is that the NFL isn’t even what does these lower pro leagues in, it’s NCAA and high school football that they can’t compete with.

6 hours ago, Ripper said:

Fair points.  My point still stands.  You are not going to get that grass roots level support in the city. In fairness to Bombers, they are well supported and a very solid base. I am speaking in general terms referring to the league as a whole.  The smaller stadium is one way to go, worked well in Montreal. Not working in Toronto, that team needs to be moved to a smaller center IMHO

I say it begrudgingly, but we have pretty good support for a team that hasn't won a Grey Cup in almost three decades. I think many people underestimated how much goodwill the Bomber burnt through with the botched construction of IGF... your other points are good though.

4 hours ago, Eternal optimist said:

I say it begrudgingly, but we have pretty good support for a team that hasn't won a Grey Cup in almost three decades. I think many people underestimated how much goodwill the Bomber burnt through with the botched construction of IGF... your other points are good though.

All rivalry pot shots aside.  Dam few franchises could endure a grey cup drought as long as the current Bomber one and still be drawing 27k'sh per game. A tip of the hat to all of you who are season ticket holders.   I was one of the 22k that was still there at Rider games when we didn't even know if we were going to have a team anymore when the Stamps were paying Flutie a million dollars to play. I know what pain and frustration feels like. 

41 minutes ago, Ripper said:

All rivalry pot shots aside.  Dam few franchises could endure a grey cup drought as long as the current Bomber one and still be drawing 27k'sh per game. A tip of the hat to all of you who are season ticket holders.   I was one of the 22k that was still there at Rider games when we didn't even know if we were going to have a team anymore when the Stamps were paying Flutie a million dollars to play. I know what pain and frustration feels like. 

We get it, you live in Saskatchewan.

Clip from a Jamaal Westerman interview on CFL.ca

KC: If you could be stranded on a deserted island with any teammate you’ve ever played with in the CFL, who would it be and why?

JW: I would say my brother (Jabar Westerman) but he’s a vegan so we’re not going to be eating any food! It’s going to be all, ‘here’s some berries.’ So maybe not my brother. I also would want my mom to be like, ‘two of my sons are gone.’ So maybe it would be Jake Thomas. We played together in Winnipeg. He’s a really good friend of mine. He would be fun to be on a deserted island with. He’s not that fast so if anything is chasing us, I’ll probably get away.

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/07/26/tmi-jamaal-westerman-creature-habit/

47 minutes ago, Brandon said:

Would he want to get messed up behind all of those lines

Glenn has always been good at dumping off passes...  I'm sure he'd be fine for an extra $150k...

Really would like to see Walters trade Durant to Riders for a first

On 2018-07-26 at 11:18 PM, Ripper said:

What amazes me is the number of Rider Fans who forgot that period and talk like the good days will last forever. A few bad years and it takes its toll.  

On ‎2018‎-‎07‎-‎26 at 5:20 PM, Eternal optimist said:

Other than cost overruns the average fan isn't bothered by this now.  The stadium is supposed to be fixed so onwards & upwards. 

On 2018-07-26 at 6:20 PM, Eternal optimist said:

This is year 6 of the stadium being opened.  44 more years and it'll be time for a new one.  You (and those fans) need to move on already.

IMO, the stadium issues were and NDP problem, not a WBB problem.  Specifically Greg Sellinger's problem for wanting to borrow to build everything (Floodway, Stadium, BiPole 3, Waskwatum, Keeyask).

15 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

This is year 6 of the stadium being opened.  44 more years and it'll be time for a new one.  You (and those fans) need to move on already.

IMO, the stadium issues were and NDP problem, not a WBB problem.  Specifically Greg Sellinger's problem for wanting to borrow to build everything (Floodway, Stadium, BiPole 3, Waskwatum, Keeyask).

Meh. You can blame NDP for lots of things but im not sure you can blame them for rushing construction. I think David Asper and Buchko are 2 blame but its a nice stadium that will last a long time. Keep in mind Asper started digging b4 any money for it was even secured. He put the NDP in a pretty tough spot there. 

38 minutes ago, ALuCsRED said:

I mean a stadium maybe could be built straight up with no financing, but all of the other projects literally cost in the ballpark of what the province brings in for general revenue in a given year.

8 hours ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Als trade a Natl. O-lineman for an Import DB, sure why not add to the comedy of errors underway in Mtl.

I don’t know know much about Ryan Bomben but even if he’s a fringe starter or 6th man.... as a Cdn o-lineman he’s worth far more than an import DB.... just further proof kavis has no idea what he’s doing doing...