Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

2 minutes ago, Brandon said:

If the league was so picky about character then how do they allow the Riders to sign half of their roster.... 

It's not simply character.  It has to do with safety of women.  Anything with violence towards women will be a huge red flag.

And the Riders get a pass because they need out-of-towners to augment the Saskatchewan gene-puddle and being that it's Regina, you get what you can get.  Think of it as a public service by the CFL.

2 hours ago, Ripper said:

Bang on.  If he is found not guilty and cleared, I'm sure the league will reinstate him to be signed by whomever. 

Not good enough....If he is not guilty how does he overcome the stigma and resign with another team? I understand the league wants to look proactive in this but do they not also have a responsibility to stand behind their players until they have gone through due process? Its now trial by popular opinion...that is scary. If these charges get stayed or Teague wins his case in court i hope he takes the CFL to court.Its not a popular opinon but its the right one.

Edited by bb1

1 hour ago, bb1 said:

Not good enough....If he is not guilty how does he overcome the stigma and resign with another team? I understand the league wants to look proactive in this but do they not also have a responsibility to stand behind their players until they have gone through due process? Its now trial by popular opinion...that is scary. If these charges get stayed or Teague wins his case in court i hope he takes the CFL to court.Its not a popular opinon but its the right one.

Were the charges against Patrick Brown dropped?

3 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Were the charges against Patrick Brown dropped?

Was Patrick Brown ever formally charged with a crime?  I believe he is sueing CTV.  The court of public opinion is a tough one. While the CFL is right not to condemn  this type of behaviour at what point does an accused file a wrongful dismissal suit when they are found not guilty?  

7 hours ago, bb1 said:

How could he possibly win? A team can cut him anytime they want to.

In the #metoo movement you're assumed guilty at accuasion time. In this case, he lost his job at or around arrest time, which is later on in the process. If he is found not guilty, then I'm sure the CFL will lift the ban even tho not guilty doesn't mean he didn't do it.

18 minutes ago, Booch said:

PRE allegations tho...seems the Riders tend to sign these guys when it is well known they have quite significant off-field transgressions and issues...there's a difference 

My point on that was it could have been happening when he was with your team, we don't know what people are doing when they are not at work.  Once its out in the open its a different situation.  I get it that players have had issues in their personal life.  No one is perfect and I am far from it myself. Judge not, yeast thee be judged.   Sexual assault and domestic violence are two things I just can't get past however.  Ottawa is doing the right thing here.  I am all for second chances in life, sometimes we all need one.  When you have a very public job like playing professional football however, you have to be held to a higher standard I think.  Its probably not fair but when children at idolizing these players, I think they have some responsibility to not be rapists and wife beaters. I am not defending some of the players that have been signed to my team.  Every situation is different and they need to be looked at on a individual basis.

1 minute ago, Bigblue204 said:

CONGRATULATIONS - YOU WIN DUMBEST POST OF THE DAY, AND IT'S ONLY 10:17AM!!! THAT'S GOTTA BE A RECORD FOLKS!

apparently my point wasn't clear. He said they have some responsibility not to be because they play football, implying the rest of us don't, which obviously we all should be expected to not be rapists and wife beaters