Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

7 minutes ago, Ripper said:

As far as us. We need some resemblance of a offense or it will be a long year. Pretty happy with how our defense has played so far.  

Changing one player doesn't change everything. Its impossible to say that. Maybe Nichols doesn't throw the 2 INT's that your rookie did?

Gotta say- I am pretty jelly of the rider's defensive scheme, it's the one area that I think CJ is VERY good at. 

Not change EVERYTHING, but can lead to a huge impact: I offer you Hurl vs Bighill as an example- he literally makes the entire defense better and to some extent due to turnovers- makes the offense better too, in a round about way.

Honestly right now, its Calgary by themselves, then Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Ottawa, I'll put Toronto in tier 3 with the Riders and BC and Montreal all by themselves. Given the issues at QB, OL, Depth, Nis, having to play 10 of their final 13 against the West, I think Rider fans should be concerned.

4 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Honestly right now, its Calgary by themselves, then Edmonton, Hamilton, Winnipeg and Ottawa, I'll put Toronto in tier 3 with the Riders and BC and Montreal all by themselves. Given the issues at QB, OL, Depth, Nis, having to play 10 of their final 13 against the West, I think Rider fans should be concerned.

I am very concerned about our offense. Macadoo needs to be fired right away. He just won't run the ball or call any dump plays to help these young qb's out.  He drives me nuts

26 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Another thing to consider is that the riders have had 3 of their 4 games at home. They have had a real cream puff schedule so far. It's only going to get harder for them as the year goes on. 

You are right that they didn't really beat anyone, teams played down to their level and they took advantage for two wins. However, both games were absolutely horrid football by the Riders. With the cream puff schedule coming out of the gate they needed to capitalize with at the very minimum 3 out of 4 games. With only 6 home games remaining and a long stretch of West games in the back half of the season, even at 2and2 the Riders have painted themselves into the corner. The only West team they may win a game against is BC right now. Collaros is a bust, that quite frankly should probably retire and won't last 2 games when he comes back, and Bridge and Watford are just not good. Couple that with an awful OL and this is going to be a long season. Probably have a lot of close games because of a first rate D but the scores won't be indicative of the non compete level of the team.

44 minutes ago, Ripper said:

As far as us. We need some resemblance of a offense or it will be a long year. Pretty happy with how our defense has played so far.  

As far as Bombers go, I know you are very knowledgeable about football. Changing one player doesn't change everything. Its impossible to say that. Maybe Nichols doesn't throw the 2 INT's that your rookie did? I like your chances better with Nichols playing that's for sure.  Its a bit hypocritical to say that you would have won with your starter playing but then laugh at the Riders even though our starter is hurt too. You don't think we would have beat Montreal if Collaros was playing??  I get it that this is a Bomber site, but lets be a bit objective

Changing of a QB tho in football is a very big thing, the only position in my opinion that makes a significant difference other than weak O-lineman. Especially when you are swapping out a proven QB with a recent track record of 22-9 with a rookie straight out of college who's first exposure to 3 down football was the 3 weeks prior to the game...so yeah in this instance that change does change a lot.

As for the Riders...in essence your roster is basically at the QB position a collection of back-ups..and the "starter" has shown nothing this year, or the last couple years and him being in the game you probably do worse against Montreal, or at best the same, so that comparison isn't really a good one...You guys do not have a starter worthy of being a starter, and looks like this year you are staying that way unless you swing a deal for "potential" at that position, but will have to give up a lot to get that, and would be robbing Peter to pay Paul and still no better off. That all can be attributed to piss poor management and a stubborn egomaniac who thinks he is just plain better than anyone else, and until he is gone, or smartens up, I see that franchise continuing to spin it's tires..I have seen and played with similar Management and coaches and tho outward appearances may seem rosey and fine, I can guarantee you it is not.....and then you still have to address 0-line issues and general depth all across the board.

A defense (a great defense) will generally will pull out 2-3 wins a year for a team with a average to below average offense and to me it seems it has pulled out 2 already, and as much as many out West might not want to admit it, your offense is a step or 2 below the below average point, and a lot of it is due to the coaching there, and it's not changing anytime soon...so based on the fact the sun will shine on a dogs butt every once in a while...the dogs butt (Sask Offense) will most likely have a day..or 2...and the defense probably will steal one more for a 5 win season...likely the least amount in the league next to Montreal, tho I see potential there and more depth to sustain injuries and guys who aren't cutting it

Edited by Booch

45 minutes ago, Ripper said:

As far as Bombers go, I know you are very knowledgeable about football. Changing one player doesn't change everything. Its impossible to say that. Maybe Nichols doesn't throw the 2 INT's that your rookie did? I like your chances better with Nichols playing that's for sure.  Its a bit hypocritical to say that you would have won with your starter playing but then laugh at the Riders even though our starter is hurt too. You don't think we would have beat Montreal if Collaros was playing??  I get it that this is a Bomber site, but lets be a bit objective

Edited by Booch

23 minutes ago, wanna-b-fanboy said:

Gotta say- I am pretty jelly of the rider's defensive scheme, it's the one area that I think CJ is VERY good at. 

Not change EVERYTHING, but can lead to a huge impact: I offer you Hurl vs Bighill as an example- he literally makes the entire defense better and to some extent due to turnovers- makes the offense better too, in a round about way.

Here is a hypothetical. If Bighill is starting the opposition may approach things differently then if Hurl was there. So even though Bighill makes the defense better as a whole, he may not see as many plays coming his way as Hurl would, so his individual effort may be different in the grand scheme of things. Lets look at the Riders, teams were going after Carter on the corner because he is the weak link in a pretty dam good defense. We moved him from boundary this week so the Cats couldn't exploit it and we saw results on the scoreboard. Carter didn't play any better but things were different. Nichols doesn't run with the ball, so schreveler offered something different for Edmonton to worry about. Had Nichols played, things would have been different, and yes he is a better qb, but that doesn't guarantee you would have won. Edmonton would be doing what teams usually do against the Bombers, take Harris out of game and make Nichols beat you deep. It may or may not have worked. I agree Nichols gives you a better chance but don't agree that results would be totally different by just changing one player. Its a team game

Edmonton has yet to shut Harris down tho, and Nichols has carved up Edmonton's defense 3 times already in last 2 years and would have had offense on the field a good 7-10 mins more as well..keeping edmonton off the field and most likely scoring more points when doing so.

11 minutes ago, Booch said:

Edmonton has yet to shut Harris down tho, and Nichols has carved up Edmonton's defense 3 times already in last 2 years and would have had offense on the field a good 7-10 mins more as well..keeping edmonton off the field and most likely scoring more points when doing so.

Best way to beat Edmonton is to keep Reilly off the field. A team that successfully runs the ball can do that by controlling the clock.

12 minutes ago, Booch said:

Pretty tough to judge that game also due to the constant delays. 

The downfall against Edmonton was some quick 2 and outs in the 4th quarter which allowed Edmonton time with the ball. Make a first down or two and kill the clock rather than punting back to the esks yeah that game likely goes a lot differently. 

Remember it was a blown lead for the Bombers, and part of that was the offense sputtering in their last possessions. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

I am very concerned about our offense. Macadoo needs to be fired right away. He just won't run the ball or call any dump plays to help these young qb's out.  He drives me nuts

Maybe Macadoo is Bombers version of Ritchie Hall, but I think Riders just don't have enough talent on offense - QBs, O-line, Canadian depth.  Big mistake was not going hard after James Franklin (although Edmonton may have preferred to keep him out of the west).  Riders coach may be a genius with the defense...but some of his other decisions border on the bizarre.

Sack Collaros is not going to save the Riders that's for sure. He is damaged goods. $475,000 worth of damaged goods.(Well less if he never plays again this season) Best to call the Liquidator (Kavis) and sell him off for at least some kind of return and move on from there. Funny thing is the Bombers got bamboozled by Dirtbag Durant for 70K and are better for it but the Riders get hosed by Sack Collaros and his mushy head which will cost them their season lol! I'm sorry that Sack got hurt but I am not sorry the Riders are suffering for it. Well it's not so much the team I dislike, it's their fans really. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Your OL can’t protect the QB, so there is no reason to believe they could run-block effectively. I suspect opposing D coordinators are scheming to take away the dump passes & quick outs, knowing your QBs won’t consistently get the protection for the medium / deep throws. 

28 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

Your OL can’t protect the QB, so there is no reason to believe they could run-block effectively. I suspect opposing D coordinators are scheming to take away the dump passes & quick outs, knowing your QBs won’t consistently get the protection for the medium / deep throws. 

I don't think Bridge is capable of running a proper offense anway, what can you do as an offensive coordinator when the only thing your qb can do is scramble around and heave it deep on broken plays? Lucky for Bridge he's got some receivers who can make those catches for him, but really he's a shitty version of Michael Bishop. 

7 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think Bridge is capable of running a proper offense anway, what can you do as an offensive coordinator when the only thing your qb can do is scramble around and heave it deep on broken plays? Lucky for Bridge he's got some receivers who can make those catches for him, but really he's a shitty version of Michael Bishop

HA....That made me laugh...

We are 1 - 0 with our starting QB playing...    we blew away two teams and nearly beat Edmonton  with a guy making his first pro start ever.        I've only seen us play 1 bad game (Hamilton)  ... meanwhile even in the Riders win against Hamilton they looked absolutely atrocious on offense.   I'd be majorly concerned if I were a Rider fan about that Offense.

2 hours ago, 17to85 said:

I don't think Bridge is capable of running a proper offense anway, what can you do as an offensive coordinator when the only thing your qb can do is scramble around and heave it deep on broken plays? Lucky for Bridge he's got some receivers who can make those catches for him, but really he's a shitty version of Michael Bishop. 

And I refuse to apologize for loving all of the above. 

From 3downnation: (And I wonder about his sex life)

Argos work out former Pro Bowl returner Dexter McCluster

Posted on July 10, 2018 by Justin Dunk // 8 Comments

The Toronto Argonauts worked out American running back and returner Dexter McCluster on Tuesday. All signs point to the Argos signing the pint-sized playmaker.

McCluster was a second-round pick, 36th overall in the 2010 NFL Draft by the Kansas City Chiefs. The 29-year-old ran a 4.53 40-yard time, 4.06 short shuttle, 6.73 three-cone, 37.5-inch vertical and 20 reps on the bench press at the 2010 NFL Combine.

He played seven seasons in the NFL for the Chiefs, Titans and Chargers rushing 250 times for 1,042 yards and two touchdowns, recording 236 receptions for 1,933 yards and seven touchdowns, returned 74 kickoffs for 1,554 yards, 133 punts for 1,388 yards and three touchdowns. 2013 was McCluster’s best year in the NFL when he earned a trip to the Pro Bowl as a returner after producing 686 punt return yards and two touchdowns.

McCluster played collegiately at the University of Mississippi, he rushed for 1,169 yards and eight touchdowns while catching 44 balls for 520 yards and three touchdowns, totalling 1,689 yards and 11 touchdowns as a senior for the Rebels, earning first-team All-SEC (Southeastern conference) honours.

McCluster has been out of pro football since 2016 when he suffered a broken forearm while looking for his cellphone.