Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

8 minutes ago, JuranBoldenRules said:

They need to be making a move on a QB with experience in any scenario I think.  Every move they’ve made is to be a Grey Cup team this season.  Durant screwed them so it’s going to cost but it has to be done.

Mike Reilly missed weeks 2-9 in 2015 and the Eskimos went on to win the cup. Not exactly the same situation but a lot of parallels. 

11 minutes ago, Alpaca said:

When he sent those tweets, he was already released by sask cuz they traded for ZC who already had a big contract. 

I agree, doesn't make sense that he's slamming the Bombers a year after he left the club, I think it was directed at the Riders.

4-6 weeks is a lot better than a season. If they believe that have decent backups in those two guys why not use the time to give them a chance to mature. They could win a couple of games so that would be manageable. You bring in a guy and he needs time to learn so what have you gained?

I believe Nichols lost the back up battle to Franklin in 2015.

IMHO Durant is way past done, Bombers should be happy he doesn't have to play now.

4-6 weeks  at the start of the season is not so big a deal.

Edited by Al Bundy
spelling

15 minutes ago, Throw Long Bannatyne said:

Nichols won a handful of games for them in that time before being usurped by Franklin who looked more sparkly.

The thing is that Nichols was doing exactly what he was asked to do.  Protect the football, manage games, get wins.  He was treated very unfairly. 

6 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

I believe Nichols lost the back up battle to Franklin in 2015.

IMHO Durant is way past done, Bombers should be happy he doesn't have t play now.

4-6 weeks  at the start of the season is not so big a deal.

Why Durant's name is even being mentioned after he ran down the team, the organization and the fans is absolutely beyond me.  That bridge was burned, blown up and shot into the atmosphere.

2 hours ago, Colin Unger said:

The thing is that Nichols was doing exactly what he was asked to do.  Protect the football, manage games, get wins.  He was treated very unfairly. 

Agreed. In the end, the result is what matters.

15 hours ago, Ripper said:

Collaros is obviously nothing to worry about for you then. I guess we will see how the season unfolds

I dont. I also dont particularly worry about a deal with the riders. If I was on either side i would not do such a deal. If I was the riders I wouldnt deal bridge in fact id rather go get vernon adams too. 3 deep at qb, a guy to push bridge and back him up eventually. And block us from getting vernon adams.

I would not trade a QB or kicker with in the division to a team with out one. A prospect sure. But not a legit 2 or higher qb or a good kicker. Too much direct impact on the out come of games and division seeding. 

15 hours ago, Ripper said:

Plop had cushy job at TSN, I'm sure he was willing to walk away for a low wage.  I'm sure he was promised MOS's job, who was probably one or two more loses away from getting run out of town

Sure, BUT its pro football. Every one who coaches and loves football that isnt working in football wants a job in football. I dont think he came out to be the highest paid assistant or OC in the league. Doesnt make sense to me. 

I dont doubt he was iirc he was given an ast hc title. 

4 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

"Nichols wasn't going to play anyway"

Yeah no one believes you coach. Both he and Nichols believe vets need to play in preseason. 

This was my thought at first as well, but looking at the roster for tomorrow I see team 2 and down starting in most every slot. 

23 minutes ago, voodoochylde said:

Why Durant's name is even being mentioned after he ran down the team, the organization and the fans is absolutely beyond me.  That bridge was burned, blown up and shot into the atmosphere.

Fool me once shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me. The mere thought of us looking at durant again makes me wanna yack. 

1 hour ago, 17to85 said:

"Nichols wasn't going to play anyway"

Yeah no one believes you coach. Both he and Nichols believe vets need to play in preseason. 

Would you risk putting Nichols in behind that OLine?  Not saying the guys aren't good, but that's a lot to risk putting your starting QB in behind that.

22 minutes ago, Sard said:

Would you risk putting Nichols in behind that OLine?  Not saying the guys aren't good, but that's a lot to risk putting your starting QB in behind that.

That isnt even our no2 ol. Thats like 3rd string and a couple 2nd stringers. In the past mos has stuck too long with nichols in pre season and in blow outs. It seems that has changed.