Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

1 minute ago, Zontar said:

Manziel factor pulled in some good numbers for TSN too tantalizing to pass up ?

Yeah. It’s likely the American market exposure that was the real push. Lots of people in my madden league were talking about the manziel game last week and were interested and asking me questions about the cfl game.  It’s a good thing for the league. I’m glad they are broadcasting it. It could be the last chance before nfl season starts to get that johhny exposure down south. 

33 minutes ago, Colin Unger said:

Yeah. It’s likely the American market exposure that was the real push. Lots of people in my madden league were talking about the manziel game last week and were interested and asking me questions about the cfl game.  It’s a good thing for the league. I’m glad they are broadcasting it. It could be the last chance before nfl season starts to get that johhny exposure down south. 

It's not imaginary either.  I had lunch in an Applebee's in South Dakota today - Manziel news was 50% of what ESPN had on their show.  All of it was in the context of him returning to the NFL, not his future in the CFL.  Of course.

I just shook my head an wondered what kind of analysis those same talking heads should be giving to the players in the CFL who have accomplished something other than hype.

I also wondered if the lettuce/parmesan ratio in a caesar salad is supposed to be 50/50.

1 minute ago, Ripper said:

You don't think the Riders have improved at all? 

Overall they have improved in terms of talent. However as to position to win with collaros I think they are worse off right now. Atleast until bridge is the starter. The run down of troubled former stars from down south who havent performed is long as well.If you are gonna field a team like the jailblazers, you gotta make it count. 
Playing carter both ways is maybe a short term improvement but medium term a real detriment.  

16 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

Overall they have improved in terms of talent. However as to position to win with collaros I think they are worse off right now. Atleast until bridge is the starter. The run down of troubled former stars from down south who havent performed is long as well.If you are gonna field a team like the jailblazers, you gotta make it count. 
Playing carter both ways is maybe a short term improvement but medium term a real detriment.  

Most of the improvement has been more a result of John Murphy than Chris Jones. 

Sure didn't see this coming:

The Canadian Football League has approved measures aimed at controlling football operations costs beyond those of player salaries, according to league sources.

The CFL has had a salary management system for more than a decade that applies to players. However, costs related to coaching and other non-player football expenses haven’t been capped – until now.

The new measures will limit teams to a coaching staff of 11 and other football operations staff to 17. The total compensation for those 28 employees is not to exceed $2.738 million. Player salaries are capped at $5.2 million for the upcoming season.

These measures, passed recently by the league’s board of governors, will go into effect for the 2019 season.

The league is also planning to enact measures that would control costs on other non-player football expenses, like mini-camps and scouting budgets.

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-approves-cap-on-football-operations-costs-for-2019-season-1.1104128

2 minutes ago, Fred C Dobbs said:

wow not a fan of the end bit of that. More league wide money on scouting means more/better talent in the league which is more money for every one...

Might be due in part to a certain teams management indulging soo heavily during the draft combine...

27 minutes ago, wbbfan said:

wow not a fan of the end bit of that. More league wide money on scouting means more/better talent in the league which is more money for every one...

Might be due in part to a certain teams management indulging soo heavily during the draft combine...

Fielding a coaching staff for 2.7 million will have its challenges. Anything that takes away from the leagues ability to attract good coaches and scouts is not a good thing.  Trying to think of any sports league that caps the coaches salaries.  Who thought of this, Trudeau?

5 minutes ago, Ripper said:

Fielding a coaching staff for 2.7 million will have its challenges. Anything that takes away from the leagues ability to attract good coaches and scouts is not a good thing.  Trying to think of any sports league that caps the coaches salaries.  Who thought of this, Trudeau?

I do agree with that, but I dont have any data to put the coaching salaries into perspective. For all I know thats double what every team spends.

In all likelihood it is a bit low. 11 coaches, 1 HC, 1 CO for O and D, 1 for STs, that leaves 7 spots for positional coaching. Qb, ol, DL, lbers, dbs, wr, and rb. Some teams will have WR/rb, or qb/wr, lb/de etc. So the number of spots makes sense. 

The average is a shade under 100k. Im sure Hcs, and high profile oc/dc / assistant HCs will make much larger chunks then that. But it seems like a good starting place.

Is it strange? yes no doubt. We cant really compare to other sports. The cfl just doesnt fit the mold of other teams.

What I expect this will mean is every team will use more cis types at a cheaper salary to fill out some positional/depth spots. 

If you want to point fingers, look at the coaching staff/management that  has spent like drunken sailors, broken abused and battered countless rules and brought this about. 

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Especially if you're paying Jones 750,000.  Hard to figure out where the benefits are.   

1 hour ago, Ripper said:

Especially when you're paying for 3 coaching staffs and 2 general managers.

Good luck to any assistant coach trying to get more than a 1 year contract.

13 hours ago, LeBird said:

Especially if you're paying Jones 750,000.  Hard to figure out where the benefits are.   

I'm sure Paul Lapolice isn't getting paid much hey?  Popp and Trestman are making 1.2 million, so the 750 for Jones is a deal. With this cap in place, likely we will see more people doing both jobs to save money

14 hours ago, 17to85 said:

Nope, still an embarrassment to the league. 

Imagine how embarrassing it must be to lose against a team like the Riders?  I'll check in with you later so you can fill me in

Edited by Ripper