Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

10 minutes ago, rebusrankin said:

Same fan base is discussing trading Brandon Bridge to the Als for the Als 1st in 2019 AND a NI Starter.

Any other team, and we're making fun of that fan base....but it's kavis Reed......They may actually get that. 

Watching the Saskatchewan game, and the unhatted Chris Jones reminds of a game last fall where it was visibly apparent that Jones was freezing. Red cheeks, red nose and ears, and yet he refused to put on a parka, or a toque. 

That’s probably when he thought it would be a good idea to double use your best receiver, and play him as a defensive back. 

Stats for Carter against Edmonton? 2 tackles and no receptions.

Sooner or later, Carter will be exposed on D. 

Maybe as much as Jones’s forehead and ears.

42 minutes ago, Mr Dee said:

Watching the Saskatchewan game, and the unhatted Chris Jones reminds of a game last fall where it was visibly apparent that Jones was freezing. Red cheeks, red nose and ears, and yet he refused to put on a parka, or a toque. 

That’s probably when he thought it would be a good idea to double use your best receiver, and play him as a defensive back. 

Stats for Carter against Edmonton? 2 tackles and no receptions.

Sooner or later, Carter will be exposed on D. 

Maybe as much as Jones’s forehead and ears.

It really shows what Jones is all about, the stubborn pride and failure to admit mistakes. Also shows that image matters more than anything else.

2 hours ago, Booch said:

Who was a better option on the defensive side of the ball that offered the versatility of Fenner as well as the ST's component?

If you're looking for versatility and ST, he's a good signing...

For pure talent... Heath, Grymes and Westerman are better

Mrabure, Foster, Purifoy... all these guys are Fenner level talent...  he's a good signing but let's not go crazy

HEATH...PFFT....Won't be missed and too one dimensional. Heath is highly over rated and isn't a team first guy...not just my opinion but that of peers

Grymes...I'd say a draw...Westerman only for passport and even then too high priced for what he offers and is on the decline

The other 3 are decent but not as versatile..all around Fenner was the best guy available

6 minutes ago, Booch said:

HEATH...PFFT....Won't be missed and too one dimensional. Heath is highly over rated and isn't a team first guy...not just my opinion but that of peers

Grymes...I'd say a draw...Westerman only for passport and even then too high priced for what he offers and is on the decline

The other 3 are decent but not as versatile..all around Fenner was the best guy available

I’ll agree Fenner was best ST guy available...

1 hour ago, Floyd said:

Mrabure, Foster, Purifoy... all these guys are Fenner level talent...  he's a good signing but let's not go crazy

I realize it's a subjective statement to say who is the best FA signing but Fenner is easily better than all of those guys save for mayyyyyybe Grymes. You are underrating him like crazy. He was arguably the best player at the most difficult position on defense last year. He isn't even a downgrade from Leggett at SAM.

6 minutes ago, AKAChip said:

I realize it's a subjective statement to say who is the best FA signing but Fenner is easily better than all of those guys save for mayyyyyybe Grymes. You are underrating him like crazy. He was arguably the best player at the most difficult position on defense last year. He isn't even a downgrade from Leggett at SAM.

He was the best boundary HB in the league now...?  His legend keeps growing and growing... exciting!!

4 hours ago, Atomic said:

It was shocking to me that they wouldn't play Collaros last night.  That's what you do with a long-time veteran... not your shiny new acquisition who has struggled for a year or more.  Even if it's just one or two series... get him in there.  He needs reps.

They didn't play him or any of their starters because they have so much talent and have a lot of depth at so many positions they really wanted to check out their 4th stringers.....RF.com words not mine!

14 minutes ago, Floyd said:

He was the best boundary HB in the league now...?  His legend keeps growing and growing... exciting!!

Most difficult position for defense in the CFL is the dime back position (sam) that Leggett and Fenner play. And depending in the league who you asked...some would say Fenner is the best...some would say Leggett is the best...now they are both on the same team.

As well in case you were not aware..a guy who can excel at that position..can do equally as well, if not better at boundary half back becs=aue they can focus more on just coverage as opposed to when to break off a receiver and read the play to move up to support the run....just sayin

Little bit surprised a guy who loves players with versatility and is always coming up with ideas to flex guys from one spot to another wouldn't be a big fan of a guy like Fenner but let's be real here, he's going to be a very solid player for us.

I'm not really too concerned with where we have guys slotted in at the moment ... between JSK, Bighill, Fenner, Loffler and Leggett that's a whole world of versatility where you could have guys all over the place.

yeah pretty sure Opo can manage that as well...I too think this defense is going to give teams fits with the disguised looks and versatility..the fact too that bIghill can drop off and play safety is gonna be a huge plus when we bring 8 guys up in the box to show blitz...and the centre/guard have to try and decide who is coming up the gut..will be glorious to watch Dan Clarke flailing away like a idiot as Collaros gets crushed haha

2 hours ago, Floyd said:

Mrabure might be Jake Thomas level, but he hasn’t played enough to even know.

12 minutes ago, Mike said:

Was going to bring that up too! Absolutely no doubt we are going to have snaps where we have Jeffcoat in the intermediate, Bighill/Loffler/Leggett/Fenner rushing the passer and a whole mess of disguised roles in the secondary. I love it.

I hope we have more snaps with legitimate safety(ies) over the top when we play match zones.  Pretty sick of one guy getting beat and giving up huge plays.  Part of that last year was also ineffective blitzing.