Around the League: 2018 Season

Rich

5 hours ago, Brandon said:

While Reed is a sucky GM, I'm really starting to think he's only there in name and Mack is essentially running his office.  Just given the crazy moves they've been making from bringing in Sherman to this goofy QB situation, Mack's fingerprints appear to be all over it.

By PIONEER PRESS | ppress@pioneerpress.com |

PUBLISHED: October 22, 2013 at 4:36 am | UPDATED: November 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm

Josh Freeman’s debut for the Vikings on Monday night wasn’t just bad. It was the worst performance by a quarterback ever evaluated by Pro Football Focus.

“Freeman’s -11.3 overall grade is the lowest single-game grade for a quarterback since we started grading games back in 2008,” the statistically oriented website reported Tuesday.

Freeman completed 20 of 53 passes for 190 yards and no touchdowns with one interception as the Vikings (1-5) lost 23-7 on the road to the New York Giants (1-6).

he was an high NFL  draft choice. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

Edited by Mark F

37 minutes ago, Brandon said:

I associate crazy with Kavis Reed... Lack of moves and scouting goes to Mack.

He may have been hired as that, but he seems to have slowly weasled his way to a position of high influence in the office and potentially calling the shots even if from behind the curtain.  Everything they're doing in MTL pretty closely resembles the masterpiece that was going on here 5 years ago.

3 hours ago, wbbfan said:

Im sure ojo will catch on some place soon enough. Imo getting rid of ojo and keeping jovon is nutty.

Apparently Ojo has not fully recovered from last season's injury and as a result was getting beaten too easily when in coverage

BRIAN HELBERG..on the BC Lions

Remember? - Solomon Elimimian broke his own record for defensive tackles in a season by recording 144 defensive stops.

Chris Greaves (N)- signed as a free agent on February 13th. Greaves has 112 CFL games under his belt, split between Winnipeg, Edmonton and Montreal.

141- the number of ‘quarterback pressures’ allowed by the offence in 2017, the highest total in the CFL. By comparison, the Winnipeg Blue Bombers allowed a league-low 71.

Fun fact - The average height of the 16 defensive backs in Kamloops is 6’ 0” and the average weight is 192 pounds. The average age of the Lions secondary is 26 and the average BC defensive back has played in the CFL for three seasons.

The Leos were aggressive this winter, landing Garry Peters, Dominique Termansen, A.J. Jefferson, Otha Foster III, Cauchy Muamba and Mike Dubuisson all in the first week of free agency. Winston Rose and Marcell Young were signed shortly thereafter.

Of the 16 defensive backs on the roster, 10 of them are six feet or taller.

The CFL.CA Staff made a list of 20 position battles to watch throughout training camp.

They mentioned the Bombers in 3 position battles.

9. WILL linebacker, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Participants: Jovan Santos-Knox, Ian Wild

The Favourite: Jovan Santos-Knox

All off-season, when reporters asked if the Bombers would bring in Henoc Muamba, Kyle Walters and Mike O’Shea maintained their trust in Jovan Santos-Knox. The signing of Adam Bighill shores up the middle linebacker spot in Winnipeg, but Santos-Knox is still in the running for a job at WILL linebacker.

The pressure is on for both Santos-Knox and the veteran Ian Wild, who appear to be in competition for the WILL linebacker position.

12. Backup quarterback, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Participants: Alex Ross, Chris Streveler, Zack Mahoney

The Favourite: Alex Ross

Even with just one year next to his name, Alex Ross may be the Bombers’ second-string quarterback by default following the departure of Darian Durant. He was supposed to compete to be the team’s developmental third-stringer, but now he’s the most sensible backup due to his experience.

Chris Streveler has talent but is just 23 and too raw to be thrown into the fire, while Canadian Zack Mahoney is likely fighting for a chance just to stay on the roster after going undrafted.

18. Field wideout, Winnipeg Blue Bombers

The Participants: Drew Wolitarsky, Tylor Henry, Daniel Petermann, Tyrone Pierre, Rashaun Simonise, Brendon Thera-Plamondon

The Favourite: Drew Wolitarsky

It’s no secret that the Bombers plan to start two Canadian receivers on offence, with one of those spots occupied by newcomer Nic Demski. Former supplemental draft pick Drew Wolitarsky seems to have the inside track on the job, but a talented crop of rookies could make for a difficult decision from the coaching staff.

Rashaun Simonise is the big name here. The former University of Calgary receiver is considered a bit raw after being out of football for the last year, but he’s been in an NFL camp with the Cincinnati Bengals and has the highest upside of any Canadian receiver on the roster aside from perhaps Demski.

The rest of the list is here:

https://www.cfl.ca/2018/05/22/position-battles-20-watch-training-camp/

👁‍🗨 Well, they closed the MOS sleeper loophole today..

A loophole in the “sleeper” play rule is closed by making it illegal for a player who enters the game and remains outside the numbers to receive the ball in any manner, including a kick or lateral.

Every player from the 2018 CFL Draft is now under contract – with the exception of those who signed in the NFL or are going back to school – 1st ro7nd choice Chapman remains the lone unsigned selection. First overall CFL draft pick Mark Chapman and the Hamilton Tiger-Cats are “light years” apart in contract negotiations, per league sources.

Multiple sources say Chapman wants a deal in line with what Rutherford and Ekakitie received while Hamilton is trying to get a below-market contract.

It was unanimous among scouts that Chapman was the most pro-ready player in the 2018 class. - Justin Dunk

CFL News - 

U.S. fans with cable will have to pay $5/month more to watch the 68 #CFL games on ESPN+ awfulannouncing.com/espn/u-s-fans-… via @awfulannouncing

👁‍🗨 I mean, who doesn’t want to have 2 players on the team named Chinedu Oparaku and, of course, Tristan Okpalaugo?

An updated depth chart from John Hodge:

👁‍🗨 MOS on Adam Bighill:

“There was a point in the interview where (Bighill) talked about the competitive spirit he has and his statement was ‘I’m going to beat you.’ That’s all you need to write. That’s who he is." ow.ly/lxUw30kaCgz

Love it!

👁‍🗨 I disagree with the NFL’s ‘stance’ on must stand for the National anthem and the heavy-handed approach they’re taking.

Last year, this is what our Commissioner said about our Anthem:

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

Interesting so the Als have Drew Willy as starting QB, Yikes.

UNLESS...they can make a deal for Mazoli for their no 1 19' pic....which by most accounts will once again be first overall...I would have said Adams but he was already there...bin dere, did that sort of thing

Hoping Muamba hits all his incentives/bonuses. Looks like the Als are going to be at the bottom again.

I kinda sad for him, he's never been to a good team in his entire CFL career

... except the 2011 Bombers, I believe.

Edited by M.O.A.B.

I think Montreal has a long list of QBs that they will bring in and cut. And some of them will be better than the ones they kept.

MOMENTS IN MONTREAL - I wonder if Vernon Adams or Brandon Bridge have fond memories of their moments.

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎22 at 3:19 PM, Mark F said:

By PIONEER PRESS | ppress@pioneerpress.com |

PUBLISHED: October 22, 2013 at 4:36 am | UPDATED: November 22, 2016 at 1:50 pm

he was an high NFL  draft choice. I actually feel sorry for the guy.

He made his money. Lots of it. I doubt if he'll ever need a handout.