Manziel Signs With Tiger-Cats

Zontar

30 minutes ago, Jpan85 said:

Manziel has all the abilities to be a top level QB in this league it's just on him if he wants to put the work in. 

Im not sold on his intangibles. Mental toughness, leadership on the field, ability to manage a pro offense, idk. The physical tools and talents are un deniable. The most talented guy in the league. But also the most flawed. 

Im not 100% sold on masoli, but Id take him over a fist full of starters league wide. Right now the tigernuaghts are in a great spot qb wise. They dont have to force manziel along. I expect masoli, vernon adams, and manziel start out the season in that order. I wonder if the tiggers have the cash to keep all three for the whole season though. Vernon adams would be very desirable for a lot of teams as a back up. Including us. 

2 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

At some point I expect Adams will be dealt. 

He’s already made his rounds through Montreal, Saskatchewan, and now Hamilton. He’s not going to be needed in BC or Toronto. That leaves us, Calgary, and Ottawa as the only teams I can see him going to. 

I think he’d be a nice pick up for us honestly.

Manziel and Cato are similar. Athletic, talented, immature, head cases. The most likely outcome isn't good, but there's always a chance that Manziel could mature and become the player that folks thought he could be. If that happens, he'll be back to the NFL in a couple of years.

5 hours ago, TBURGESS said:

Manziel and Cato are similar. Athletic, talented, immature, head cases. The most likely outcome isn't good, but there's always a chance that Manziel could mature and become the player that folks thought he could be. If that happens, he'll be back to the NFL in a couple of years.

Past about age 26-28, our personalities are pretty hard-set. It's now or never for Mr. Manziel.

On 2018-05-20 at 7:52 AM, TBURGESS said:

I believe that's his plan.  He knows right now with all his baggage that nobody's going to take him down there without definitive proof that he no longer spends too much of his down time partying hard and not putting in work.  That's what happens he definitely got shown in the NFL.  He likely decided to go head and give the CFL a spin when he heard Trent Richardson was up here.

Saw a lot of the guy in college and the reason I never bought the NFL hype on him was that he made too much of a living ad-libbing every play.  Kind of a backyard football QB who ran around and just fired the ball at will though in particular to current Bucs' receiver Mike Evans.  Once he tried that in the NFL, he learned he couldn't do it.

My guess is Masoli remains the starter for now in Hamilton, but the pressure will be mounting on his head.

Now ... I actually do think Manziel has more raw talent than Masoli in that he's a faster runner with a stronger arm.  What he may not have is Masoli's work ethic or his football smarts just given what I've seen of his decision-making in his last go-round.

2 hours ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Just watched Jim Rome sorta kinda make fun of the fact that Manziel is only going to make $120K plus $10K signing bonus this year in the CFL.  It is kind of funny when you think about how much football players make in the NFL I guess.

In the nfl. Out side of the nfl, arena league guys are playing for macdonalds/walmart money. the spring league doesnt even pay guys, it feeds em and gives them housing. I bet the target cap range for the start up leagues (if they start and play, Id bet every thing i own one fails before launch) is in the cfl salary cap range. 

iirc manziel has a ton of incentives in his deal. But does rome make 130k for half a year? Maybe he does. Idk I cant stand him. 

I know a lot of teams and players (vets) are going 1 year deals. I really hope the bombers and star players lock up 2 year deals for the new start ups initial season. The value of a second league to recycle talent is very high. But the lure of playing in the states, with out canadian taxes and diminished power of the dollar could make for a tough couple years here. Id love to see the two leagues merge and run a none or minimal over lap season with about half our cap size. 

4 hours ago, USABomberfan said:

I believe that's his plan.  He knows right now with all his baggage that nobody's going to take him down there without definitive proof that he no longer spends too much of his down time partying hard and not putting in work.  That's what happens he definitely got shown in the NFL.  He likely decided to go head and give the CFL a spin when he heard Trent Richardson was up here.

Saw a lot of the guy in college and the reason I never bought the NFL hype on him was that he made too much of a living ad-libbing every play.  Kind of a backyard football QB who ran around and just fired the ball at will though in particular to current Bucs' receiver Mike Evans.  Once he tried that in the NFL, he learned he couldn't do it.

My guess is Masoli remains the starter for now in Hamilton, but the pressure will be mounting on his head.

Now ... I actually do think Manziel has more raw talent than Masoli in that he's a faster runner with a stronger arm.  What he may not have is Masoli's work ethic or his football smarts just given what I've seen of his decision-making in his last go-round.

Well he better have at least the smarts of Masoli cause i aint sold on Masoli 's football IQ....Masoli is still a work in progress in my books...lets see how he plays for a full year. Manziel who knows if his head is on straight and if he can adjust to the CFL.  not many can.

Edited by bb1

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎21 at 4:18 PM, kelownabomberfan said:

Just watched Jim Rome sorta kinda make fun of the fact that Manziel is only going to make $120K plus $10K signing bonus this year in the CFL.  It is kind of funny when you think about how much football players make in the NFL I guess.

Rome knows the CFL doesn't pay its players like the NFL so I don't know what his point is. But it's Rome so carry on clones. 

2 minutes ago, tracker said:

Rome values his own opinions very highly.

I used to listen to Jim Rome regularly when I worked midnights back in the late 90's to early 2000's as his show was replayed at night. The format hasn't changed in 20 years. Very seldom listen now. What worked for me back then at 3 am doesn't work at 10 am now. 

People can laugh or mock Johnny Manziel. The fact he is at TC training camp for far less than he made as a Cleveland Brown & is competing for not only a starting job but to reclaim his playing career has earned my respect. He seems to be saying & doing all the right things. I hope he succeeds as I don't want to wish him bad. And this is from one of the biggest Johnny Football haters out there after his dumpster fire time with the Browns. 

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎19 at 11:47 PM, Blueandgold said:

He’s already made his rounds through Montreal, Saskatchewan, and now Hamilton. He’s not going to be needed in BC or Toronto. That leaves us, Calgary, and Ottawa as the only teams I can see him going to. 

I think he’d be a nice pick up for us honestly.

He started out in BC, although he never played there

On 2018-05-26 at 1:38 PM, SpeedFlex27 said:

I used to listen to Jim Rome regularly when I worked midnights back in the late 90's to early 2000's as his show was replayed at night. The format hasn't changed in 20 years. Very seldom listen now. What worked for me back then at 3 am doesn't work at 10 am now. 

He’s an ass, plain and simple. When his predictions don’t work out, he changes them. 

On 2018-05-21 at 7:49 PM, wbbfan said:

In the nfl. Out side of the nfl, arena league guys are playing for macdonalds/walmart money. the spring league doesnt even pay guys, it feeds em and gives them housing. I bet the target cap range for the start up leagues (if they start and play, Id bet every thing i own one fails before launch) is in the cfl salary cap range. 

iirc manziel has a ton of incentives in his deal. But does rome make 130k for half a year? Maybe he does. Idk I cant stand him. 

I know a lot of teams and players (vets) are going 1 year deals. I really hope the bombers and star players lock up 2 year deals for the new start ups initial season. The value of a second league to recycle talent is very high. But the lure of playing in the states, with out canadian taxes and diminished power of the dollar could make for a tough couple years here. Id love to see the two leagues merge and run a none or minimal over lap season with about half our cap size. 

Playing for Pizza in the States - their appetite for football seems to be endless. 

On ‎2018‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 5:52 AM, TBURGESS said:

Cato had mental health issues some say PTSD from where he grew up. Manziel doesn't have that but is bi polar which is treatable. If we said people with PTSD such as soldiers returning from a theatre of war or people who are bi polar are headcases we'd be criticized severely.

Edited by SpeedFlex27

11 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Cato had mental health issues some say PTSD from where he grew up. Manziel doesn't have that but is bi polar which is treatable. If we said people with PTSD such as soldiers returning from a theatre of war or people who are bi polar are headcases we'd be criticized severely.

Bi polar is treatable to a certain extent.  No matter the treatment, it's still a nasty and unpredictable mental illness that just wears people down.

17 hours ago, Mark H. said:

Playing for Pizza in the States - their appetite for football seems to be endless. 

I really think that appetite is for their teams in football. with HS, college and the nfl I dont personally see room for more in the vast majority of markets. Most football fans I know down south have 1 team in 2 levels they are huge on and are a bit meh on the third level. 

17 hours ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

i didnt know about that with respect to cato. But its a much much bigger problem then a lot of nba/nfl types let on. Going from the worst areas being totally broke down poor in a multi generational poverty situation to varying degrees of wealthy is hard for any one. And becoming wealthy doesnt fix the messed up youths soo many players were subject to. Football and basketball are a lot like boxing in that way. Biggest in the poorest areas. regardless of ethnicity. 

Un treated / diagnosed mental disorders and trauma  are why we see soo many athletes in those sports with troubled adult lives. One day when concussions arent the first and last issue in sports like the nfl maybe we will see the amount of effort and help for these young men mentally that we see in concern for concussions now. 

I feel like the much slower path for baseball players to money, and the expense of pushing a kid through the phase from player to prospect makes them a bit different.