Manziel Signs With Tiger-Cats

Zontar

4 hours ago, wbbfan said:

I really think that appetite is for their teams in football. with HS, college and the nfl I dont personally see room for more in the vast majority of markets. Most football fans I know down south have 1 team in 2 levels they are huge on and are a bit meh on the third level. 

i didnt know about that with respect to cato. But its a much much bigger problem then a lot of nba/nfl types let on. Going from the worst areas being totally broke down poor in a multi generational poverty situation to varying degrees of wealthy is hard for any one. And becoming wealthy doesnt fix the messed up youths soo many players were subject to. Football and basketball are a lot like boxing in that way. Biggest in the poorest areas. regardless of ethnicity. 

Un treated / diagnosed mental disorders and trauma  are why we see soo many athletes in those sports with troubled adult lives. One day when concussions arent the first and last issue in sports like the nfl maybe we will see the amount of effort and help for these young men mentally that we see in concern for concussions now. 

I feel like the much slower path for baseball players to money, and the expense of pushing a kid through the phase from player to prospect makes them a bit different. 

You do not have to look in the ranks of athletes for people who are damaged (in childhood mostly) and are the walking wounded among us. One statistic that I saw was that unresolved emotional trauma is responsible for 80-90% of illnesses in pretty much every population group. I have seen many such in my practice.

Edited by tracker

3 minutes ago, tracker said:

You do not have to look in the ranks for people who are damaged (in childhood mostly) and are the walking wounded among us. One statistic that I saw was that unresolved emotional trauma is responsible for 80-90% of illnesses in pretty much every population group. I have seen many such in my practice.

very true indeed.