Congrats Vegas ya bought yourself

bb1

If you had told me before the season that the Jets would make it to the WCF, I would have been happy. I think what is really bugging me is that we lost to Vegas (a freaking expansion team). We've waited patiently as we drafted and developed and you get a first year club in the Finals. Plus add in the heartbreak we've experienced as fans (80s Oilers, losing the team, some bad hockey teams) and its just frustrating.

1 minute ago, rebusrankin said:

If you had told me before the season that the Jets would make it to the WCF, I would have been happy. I think what is really bugging me is that we lost to Vegas (a freaking expansion team). We've waited patiently as we drafted and developed and you get a first year club in the Finals. Plus add in the heartbreak we've experienced as fans (80s Oilers, losing the team, some bad hockey teams) and its just frustrating.

I sat there through the entire series asking two questions (other than about Fleury and James Neal) "Who are these guys"?  and secondly, "who were the idiot GM's who let these guys get away?"  Who gets a shut-down defense like that right out of the gate?  It makes no sense.  Brayden McNabb?  Deryk Engelland?  Nate Schmidt?  Man that kid can skate.  Who is he???

Edited by kelownabomberfan

48 minutes ago, 17to85 said:

Vegas is relying on a lot of guys having career years. It won't last. Yeah they have some depth, but without Fleury playing well and guys massively over performing because of the underdog factor I don't see them having staying power as a top team.

and this could hurt the franchise long-term.  In three years when they are at the bottom of the league where they should be, is anyone going to show up?

On 2018-05-18 at 10:29 PM, bb1 said:

All the other teams dont get to pick a top six forward or top 4 defenseman off another team or a top Goalie...only a team that shells out 500 million and is located in the USA get that luxury....only the NHL can manage to screw up this bad...

How many guys with Vegas now were top six forwards or top 4 D on their prior teams? 

The other gms screwed up. Florida handed over Reilly Smith to convince Vegas to take Marchessault in the draft. Columbus gave up a 1st round pick to ensure Vegas would take Karlsson. The Pens handed over a 2nd round pick so Vegas would take Fleury's cap hit off their hands. That's good work by their gm to make those moves. 

2 hours ago, sweep the leg said:

How many guys with Vegas now were top six forwards or top 4 D on their prior teams? 

The other gms screwed up. Florida handed over Reilly Smith to convince Vegas to take Marchessault in the draft. Columbus gave up a 1st round pick to ensure Vegas would take Karlsson. The Pens handed over a 2nd round pick so Vegas would take Fleury's cap hit off their hands. That's good work by their gm to make those moves. 

Yeah because the Gms were forced into that situation because of the age of their top players and perceived top players. Why? Because Vegas dished out 500 million and Vegas is located in the US of A. No other expansion team has ever been gifted like this team and that is a fact. Hopefully they can Betmans ass over this joke...but hey he got a US expansion team to the final maybe he gets a bonus.

8 hours ago, rebusrankin said:

That's how I feel exactly.

2 hours ago, Tony Fresco said:

Not as much here, but reading a lot over the last couple of days, how Vegas was gifted their team, etc, etc.   Found this Tweet very interesting:

That Travis Yost tweet is almost completely inaccurate.

#1 scorer - Jonathan Marchessault: expansion draft from Florida

#2 scorer - Reilly Smith: trade with Florida to ensure Vegas picked Marchessault in the draft

#3 scorer - William Karlsson: expansion draft from Columbus

#4 scorer - Alex Tuch: trade with Minnesota to ensure Vegas didn't pick Eric Staal or a young defenseman in the draft

#5 scorer - James Neal: expansion draft from Nashville

#6 scorer - Eric Haula: expansion draft from Minnesota

#1 scoring defenseman - Shea Theodore: trade with Anaheim to ensure Vegas picked Clayton Stoner in the draft

#1 goalie and probable MVP - Marc-Andre Fleury: expansion draft from Pittsburgh

William Karlsson had 6 goals and 25 points with Columbus.... then has 43 goals with Vegas.

Smith went from 37 to 60 points....

Perron went from 46 to 66 points....

Haula went from 26 to 55 points....

Marchessault went from 50 to 75 points...

This is a team that over achieved... no one would of predicted that they would of all done this well.

49 minutes ago, TrueBlue4ever said:

That Travis Yost tweet is almost completely inaccurate.

#1 scorer - Jonathan Marchessault: expansion draft from Florida

#2 scorer - Reilly Smith: trade with Florida to ensure Vegas picked Marchessault in the draft

#3 scorer - William Karlsson: expansion draft from Columbus

#4 scorer - Alex Tuch: trade with Minnesota to ensure Vegas didn't pick Eric Staal or a young defenseman in the draft

#5 scorer - James Neal: expansion draft from Nashville

#6 scorer - Eric Haula: expansion draft from Minnesota

#1 scoring defenseman - Shea Theodore: trade with Anaheim to ensure Vegas picked Clayton Stoner in the draft

#1 goalie and probable MVP - Marc-Andre Fleury: expansion draft from Pittsburgh

I think there is an element of interpretation here... while the players were not technically acquired by trade, there were trades involved rather than just a straight-up expansion draft pick.  The tweet is somewhat deceptive in that way... but it captures the fact that McPhee basically fleeced Minnesota, Columbus, and Florida.  There was good GM work involved in building the team, it wasn't just a gift.

2 hours ago, Atomic said:

I think there is an element of interpretation here... while the players were not technically acquired by trade, there were trades involved rather than just a straight-up expansion draft pick.  The tweet is somewhat deceptive in that way... but it captures the fact that McPhee basically fleeced Minnesota, Columbus, and Florida.  There was good GM work involved in building the team, it wasn't just a gift.

Exactly, those were deals to either expose a certain player so as not to lose another or deals to take on salary. Marchessault specifically was left exposed on the condition the Knights took on Smith’s contract.  Same with Karlsson. Columbus exposed home so the Knights wouldn’t take Josh Anderson. McPhee navigated the expansion waters very well in hindsight. I admit at the time there were other players exposed that seemingly could have made the team even stronger but who knows if there were side deals to leave them alone. 

Edited by Tony Fresco

Florida got bent over... Gave them March so they would take smith. 

Minny got bent over... Gave them Tuch so they would take Haula and not one of their top 4 D men. Who they later traded for 2 underachieving forwards. 

Karlsson had like 1 goal last year.. His career high was 9 prior to this season. 

Chevy? Vegas took Thorburn and switched picks with us... We took Vesa with that pick. Chevy did good. 

On 2018-05-22 at 8:34 AM, Brandon said:

William Karlsson had 6 goals and 25 points with Columbus.... then has 43 goals with Vegas.

Smith went from 37 to 60 points....

Perron went from 46 to 66 points....

Haula went from 26 to 55 points....

Marchessault went from 50 to 75 points...

This is a team that over achieved... no one would of predicted that they would of all done this well.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. William Karlsson is not going to shoot at over 20% again. He won't be a consistent 40 goal scorer and most of those other guys won't do that well again either. Team that played with a chip on it's shoulder and had some early success that they built off of. They caught lightning in a bottle but anyone who thinks this is an accurate representation of how good a team it is you're crazy. Next season with the weight of expectations on them you will see them fall back to reality. 

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎2018‎/‎05‎/‎23 at 11:36 AM, 17to85 said:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. William Karlsson is not going to shoot at over 20% again. He won't be a consistent 40 goal scorer and most of those other guys won't do that well again either. Team that played with a chip on it's shoulder and had some early success that they built off of. They caught lightning in a bottle but anyone who thinks this is an accurate representation of how good a team it is you're crazy. Next season with the weight of expectations on them you will see them fall back to reality. 

The real Vegas showed up in the series... none of the guys in that list did anything.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting theory floated by my barber (most barbers I've ever met are conspiracy theorists for some reason) - Vegas blew the last series because if they had won, they'd have put a lot of sports books and other shady types out of business.  One of his clients had an insurance company phone him up and offer him $35K for his sports bet that he had made on Vegas at the start of the season.  He was glad he took the money, but it made him wonder why no one could get a pea by Fleury for three rounds and then suddenly he couldn't stop a beach ball against Washington.  I think it's bullcrap personally.  If they did tank the series, I wish they could have tanked against Winnipeg, and let a much better team go through to the finals.

Edited by kelownabomberfan

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Interesting theory floated by my barber (most barbers I've ever met are conspiracy theorists for some reason) - Vegas blew the last series because if they had won, they'd have put a lot of sports books and other shady types out of business.  One of his clients had an insurance company phone him up and offer him $35K for his sports bet that he had made on Vegas at the start of the season.  He was glad he took the money, but it made him wonder why no one could get a pea by Fleury for three rounds and then suddenly he couldn't stop a beach ball against Washington.  I think it's bullcrap personally.  If they did tank the series, I wish they could have tanked against Winnipeg, and let a much better team go through to the finals.

I know people who legitimately believe everything is "mafia" which usually translates to what they think would happen didnt happen and they can't possibly have been wrong.