Round 3 : Game 5 - Leaving Las Vegas

9 minutes ago, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Actually shortest Jets off-season ever.

yeah actually that's pretty funny.  This is also a year where I won't really be watching or caring about the draft given we burned our first rounder, not that it was going to be high pick anyway.  Oh well.  Time to turn that switch in the old brain to "football" from "hockey", and hopefully won't be turning it back until the day after the Grey Cup.  The Crown Royal consumption will continue at about the same level though...

59 minutes ago, Mark F said:

feel sorry for Wheeler.

can't really say the Jets deserved to win this series though. losing four straight. better team won.

one goal. what happened to the Jets offence?

Anyone that has played hockey knows that you can only skate through so much one-sided clutching, grabbing, whacking, slashing, holding, hooking, tackling, and interference before it wears you out. By the third round of it we had nothing left in the tank. You could see it in the fanned passes and shots, and the loss of focus and concentration. I say one-sided because when we tried to return the favour we found ourselves in the penalty box so had to play it clean. In this way the league controls which teams advance and which don't. All major league sports are controlled this way. Once you accept this as truth things start to make a lot more sense. It's a game played by millionaire players and controlled by billionaire owners. They're all winners and the only ones that lose are the naive ones that invest in their teams financially and emotionally. At the end of the day it's the team that will most benefit the league and it's owners that wins. 

12 minutes ago, J5V said:

Anyone that has played hockey knows that you can only skate through so much one-sided clutching, grabbing, whacking, slashing, holding, hooking, tackling, and interference before it wears you out. By the third round of it we had nothing left in the tank. You could see it in the fanned passes and shots, and the loss of focus and concentration. I say one-sided because when we tried to return the favour we found ourselves in the penalty box so had to play it clean. In this way the league controls which teams advance and which don't. All major league sports are controlled this way. Once you accept this as truth things start to make a lot more sense. It's a game played by millionaire players and controlled by billionaire owners. They're all winners and the only ones that lose are the naive ones that invest in their teams financially and emotionally. At the end of the day it's the team that will most benefit the league and it's owners that wins. 

4 power plays today, didn't score on any of them, and we lost by one goal.  In the playoffs you have to score on the power play or you lose.

Getting through Nashville was a real drain.  I wonder how that series would have gone if Vegas had to play Nashville and we had to play San Jose in round two. 

1 hour ago, kelownabomberfan said:

4 power plays today, didn't score on any of them, and we lost by one goal.  In the playoffs you have to score on the power play or you lose.

Getting through Nashville was a real drain.  I wonder how that series would have gone if Vegas had to play Nashville and we had to play San Jose in round two. 

Yes, what a ridiculous playoff schedule that was.

1 hour ago, J5V said:

I get 5th graders spouting this stuff because they hear it from their dad at home.

1. The non - call when Sheifele's nose was bloodied up was definitely a blatant missed call.  But the same can be said for the non-call on the Buff trip today

2. The Knights had 4 or 5 players back defensively on a consistent basis, the Jets usually had 3 or 4.  

3. The Jets are a passing team that played dump and chase too much.  On a power play or with an empty net, a team of the Jets' calibre should be moving the puck in with crisp passes.  

4. Fleurry didn't make the difference all by himself, nor did he steal any games, but he was superb

Jets scored 9 goals in 5 games. 

5 in the last 4. You cant win if you dont score. 

I call BS on Fleury not stealing games... He stole game 2 and game 4. 

Jets dominated and had several chances but Fleury... He WAS the difference. 9 goals in 5 games. Yeah the goalie was a difference... A huge one too. 

Jets were gassed tho i think plus i do agree with the Vegas clutching and grabbing and getting away with it comment. 

Roslo got pulled down in the 3rd on a scoring chance.. No call, Ehlers gets hooked, no call. They call Kulikov for a "elbow" that Vegas gets away with constantly. This isnt new tho, Vegas has gotten away with it all season. 

Its part of the 500 million fee. 

Ya 4 2 and the Jets PP did nothing but.. Maybe if the refs called all the penalties they should have on Vegas... They do score. 1 goal game and you put the whistle away pretty much in the 3rd? 

The refs in this series made it about them, breaking the momentum of the game by calling inconsistent calls or non calls on both teams. Threw the players off in how they could play and how the coaches could roll their lines.

Imo this hurt the Jets more than the Knights because our whole game is flow, neutral ice attack, physical play. Running four lines became impossible.

Add in to this losing recipe sans first game we were losing most of the battles down low and Fleury's old school athletic type goaltending.

Top 4 baby, next year Top 1.

ps sign Paul Stastny to a two year contract, promise him a Cup next year.

2 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I have a question: the icing call where the player who actually iced the puck was on the bench. Vegas pretended not to know even after the call was made - could this not be a delay of game penalty? 

It was a simple misunderstanding.  This blaming non calls is pretty funny.....it happens both ways to both teams no matter who is playing.  And how come no one is calling for a penalty on Buff when he was holding that guy down behind the net, not allowing him to get up and back into the play. 

51 minutes ago, Mark H. said:

I have a question: the icing call where the player who actually iced the puck was on the bench. Vegas pretended not to know even after the call was made - could this not be a delay of game penalty? 

I thought so too.  Should have been a delay of game.  This nonsense has been going on all year where the ref has to go and grab a list and force the coach to put players back on the ice, leading to game delays after icings which are just as good as a time-out.  The whole point of leaving players on the ice after an icing was to penalize the team for icing the puck.  If Gerard Gallant just pulls his guys off after every icing and forces the ref to bring people back on then he should be nailed for that.  It's bush league.  Especially when the guy who iced the puck is on the bench.  That's not a misunderstanding.  That's cheating.

4 minutes ago, NorthernSkunk said:

Lol.........it only happened once is why I say it was a misunderstanding.......if it had happened two or three times then yeh I would say somebody s cheating. 

Agreed. But there were more blatants non calls for the Knights than for us. But kudos to Gallant and his staff. That team will be a force to be reckoned with.

As for us , I think we will be back stronger and wider than ever next year. Hops Statsny resigns.

30 minutes ago, Piggy 1 said:

Agreed. But there were more blatants non calls for the Knights than for us. But kudos to Gallant and his staff. That team will be a force to be reckoned with.

As for us , I think we will be back stronger and wider than ever next year. Hops Statsny resigns.

what happened to Stastny in round 3?  He seemed invisible after being an unstoppable force against Nashville.  The Knights really neutralized the second line, they were completely powerless.

16 hours ago, Mark H. said:

I get 5th graders spouting this stuff because they hear it from their dad at home.

1. The non - call when Sheifele's nose was bloodied up was definitely a blatant missed call.  But the same can be said for the non-call on the Buff trip today

2. The Knights had 4 or 5 players back defensively on a consistent basis, the Jets usually had 3 or 4.  

3. The Jets are a passing team that played dump and chase too much.  On a power play or with an empty net, a team of the Jets' calibre should be moving the puck in with crisp passes.  

4. Fleurry didn't make the difference all by himself, nor did he steal any games, but he was superb

Mark, you are absolutely wrong on #4. Fleury stole the series he was that good. He was the difference maker. 

6 minutes ago, SpeedFlex27 said:

Mark, you are absolutely wrong on #4. Fleury stole the series he was that good. He was the difference maker. 

I think he stole a game or two, but mostly he just didn't make mistakes.  Rinne let in some real stinkers that helped us out, especially in game 7.  Fleury was just not going to let in a soft goal.  There was no way. 

Just now, FrostyWinnipeg said:

Fleury was the main reason. If you want to get into the other reasons you pick this/that and most of it is on the Jets.

Blake Wheeler within 20 seconds of every shift looked like he had just finished the Boston Marathon.  He had no juice left in the tank.

10 minutes ago, kelownabomberfan said:

Blake Wheeler within 20 seconds of every shift looked like he had just finished the Boston Marathon.  He had no juice left in the tank.

At about 7 minutes into the first period I said "wow, these guys look like they are in double OT right now."  They were just exhausted.  I don't think there is anyone to blame... nobody on this team, and especially not the guys 25 and under, have played this much hockey before in their careers.  It was a great run.

Just now, kelownabomberfan said:

It felt like every even numbered game against NASH.

Did PaMa's post game interview reveal any injuries ala our playoff loss to ANA when he said Ladd and Buff both had injuries thus explaining their poor play?

54 minutes ago, Atomic said:

At about 7 minutes into the first period I said "wow, these guys look like they are in double OT right now."  They were just exhausted.  I don't think there is anyone to blame... nobody on this team, and especially not the guys 25 and under, have played this much hockey before in their careers.  It was a great run.

99 games in total.  Not bad for guys who were usually already over a month into their golf games by this time every year.  I hope they take this as a learning experience and build on it for next year.  As I said - the 1983 Oilers.  Also, I guess game 4 was the last time we'll be seeing Toby in a Jets uniform.  Thanks for the memories Toby!  

Edited by kelownabomberfan